Saturday, November 11, 2017

Cold and Hot?

North of us got their first freeze and we are 34F this morning with no frost on the grass. Everything still looks the same outside the windows. But I slept in. I am alone ( I keep reminding you) and I woke up around 6:00 A.M. and read a little in bed. Then I turned off the lights and snuggled back down into the soft flannel sheets and under the light downy quilt and drifted back into blissful sleep for several hours as dawn slid into place. It was the cold outside that makes me lazy and slothful inside. I love pulling up those blankets and not having an agenda set by an alarm. I have worked hard (not as hard as many) for this time in my life and I am thankful for this morning.  I eventually made a pot of decaffinated coffee but returned to reading "The Forest Lover" by Susan Vreeland.  (It is the life story of the Canadian artist Emily Carr based on her journals.  She lived 1871-1945 and lived in the Northwest with the indigenous people much of that time and with great discrimination by her culture.)  The writer brings me to cold and rainy British Columbia as I remain so warm as I snuggle back into bed with a warm cup.

Now for the hot:

For those of you who know about Scolville scales with hot peppers, you may remember the big deal when Habaneras became a fad for cooking.  They were not a condiment for the faint of heart and kept their level at the height of heat in pepper cooking.  They were rated as 250,000 to 577,000 on the scale.  Well, hubby got seeds from our daughter for the newest pepper, the Carolina Reaper, which he planted this summer.  This pepper is rated as 1.6 million(!) and has held the world record since 2013.


We (daughter, hubby and I) chopped some of them for testing.  (When green they have no heat at all!)  


I took one of those tiny red pieces and put it on the end of my tongue and I died.  I spit it out, but the heat kept on.  My daughter also choked on the heat.  My grandson (pretended) it was not bad at all.  My daughter put it in some vinegar for taking home and adding to whatever.


While they are extremely beautiful, this is killer stuff.



I have no big fondness for super hot food, although I do like my chile with a tiny bit of bite.  Researching I found there is a new pepper accidentally raised in Wales that will challenge the Carolina Reaper.  It is called Dragon's Breath and is 2.48 million on the Scoville scale.

I have read that eating lots of hot food does kill the taste buds over time and may be the reason that people who regularly eat hot food (Indonesians) find most food in the U.S. too bland.




I will also leave you with this caution:

"Concentrated capsaicin, found in the Dragon's Breath and other extremely spicy peppers, can trigger the immune system to go into overdrive. Capsaicin activates the proteins found on nerve endings, and those proteins can mistakenly interpret capsaicin as a signal of extreme heat entering the body, Live Science reported. The result? Reactions like anaphylactic shock, severe burns, and even the closing of one's airways are all possible, experts warn. So this extreme pepper is nothing to mess around with."

15 comments:

  1. I like the taste of spicy peppers but I don't like the heat. Food shouldn't be painful to eat, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...and double wow. I'm like Steven, I like a little spice but not the heat. I make chili now with a little of the dark chili pepper, and balance it with some medium red California Pepper. No, I don't know what that is, but the results are perfect for me in Lady Birds Pedernales River Chili.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have quite a few biographies on Emily Carr, had the good fortune of doing a tour of her home and the little caravan she would have pulled out wherever she wanted to paint. I also have a print I bought in Victoria (not limited edition) that I love of the totems she painted. Fascinating woman. Would the new book offer a fictional advantage that nonfiction does not? I am debating that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those mornings when you can snuggle back into bed and read are so precious! Emily Carr sounds like she lived the kind of nomad life i'd like to try for a few years at least.

    Tabsco is plenty spicy/hot enough for me, thankyouverymuch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flannel sheets and sleeping in are the saving graces of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not for me! I am not a lover of spicy hot food! You are a brave soul, Tabor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We find ourselves lingering in bed these dark, cold mornings too.
    Poblanos are hot enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you alone, you say??? Since finally retiring I have especially enjoyed snuggling in the bed’s warmth after awakening in the morning — sometimes to read abit, occasionally fall back to sleep, knowing I didn’t have to get up until I want to. So, I can appreciate your pleasure.

    I’ve had to be careful all my life about eating hot or spicy foods. I was a young adult before I could begin to gradually tolerate some though it has varied through the years. Coincidentally, in recent weeks I seem to be in another period of needing to use more care, even avoiding onion. Who knows what goes on in my system. My husband could always eat much hotter foods. At least for now I would have to avoid that pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love spicy food but it does not like me. That hot pepper would destroy my stomach. Once in a while I cannot resist the urge to eat a forbidden meal but I will pay the consequences. Also don't get near me with flannel sheets...too hot also. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds ridiculously hot. Snuggling in bed with a book is a relaxing activity which I love especially when its raining.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I'll even be in the same room with that pepper if you don't mind. some jalapenos make me think I'm going to die. and cold weather just makes me immobile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the warning
    Bland food for short time is ok if followed by a good bit of mild greasy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yikes! And yes they are incredibly beautiful, but I keep thinking about what might happen if someone accidentally chomped into one! I like a little bit of heat, but nothing too much. I'll keep my distance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A "tiny bit of bite" is likely where I fit in. Tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12:27 PM

    I've only discovered hot, spicy cooking recently. These peppers are new to me. I think my taste buds are already dulled through jalapenos and cayenne peppers. Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.