Wednesday, October 25, 2017

A Night in the City


Hubby has a trip, a long trip both in time and space, that he is making. He is going to be gone for a month working on a project on the other side of the globe in the middle of the ocean.  He likes to tell others it is a company he started. It is not. It is a hobby he started employing a few staff at poverty wages, and it is a bone of contention between us in terms of its expense to our personal bottom line since there is no profit margin at this stage (the first decade of its operation!). It is keeping him alive and energized, so I am of two reactions on this "project" and do a continual dance.


Anyway, his first of four flights was departing at 4:55 in the morning this past Sunday.  Since the airport is an hour and a half from our house and since we did not want to pay for a month of long-term airport parking, I had to drive him up there.  But since he knew that he had to be there at 2:55 A.M. for check-in which meant we had to leave at 1:30 A.M. for departure from this house, he compromised by offering me a fancy dinner at the city restaurant and an overnight in the local airport hotel using points.  It meant I could sleep in, which I did, get one of those awful free breakfasts and leave for home the next day around 8:00 A.M.

I had not been in this city for over a year and was impressed by all the changes.  Like many cities, it has its challenges with crime, budget limitations, and culture issues.  But the state officials have made a deal with the devil (a fossil fuel company from another country) and seem to be able to upgrade the nicer parts of the city as this company moves into the state's rural areas and expose others to air pollution and sudden death---NOT an exaggeration as I live rurally.  Chances are slim this wealth will trickle down to the more challenging areas of the city and the school systems.  I have not given up hope, though.

Anyway, while walking around the more touristy parts of the city on a perfect fall weather afternoon, with only sparse numbers of tourists, it became a nice evening to say goodbye to my husband before our temporary separation.

Below, a few photos I captured after a fancy cocktail in one of the seafood restaurants.


Lots of new dock space for all the yachty types.



Lots of crime-free sidewalks to enjoy after dinner although a few skateboarders and bikers could have used some discipline.



Fancy places to work and to live in the heart of the city.




And plenty of chain restaurants to appease the citizens along with a lovely sunset.



19 comments:

  1. A beautiful city, and that was just the right ticket to having to get to the airport at a truly ungodly hour! Thanks for the great pictures. Hope you have a wonderful time during your temporary separation . :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your post and it reminds me of images and words my 4 grown children send me. One leaving for Nantucket, in 4 days
    one just returned from New York, shower for my oldest granddaughter expecting my first great grandchild. Son, connecting with boyhood friends in Saigon and Bangkok, youngest daughter just ongoing busyness with 2 12 and 15. Now this one
    just pleased to stay home and read their emails, traveling in past years and now no place like home. hoping this time alone will be pleasant for you, camera time, reading time and just quiet times with nature....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life does go on while we watch...does it not?

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear Hubby will be gone for a month, but reunions can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Driving to airports in big cities is not something I could easily cope with anymore. I have enough trouble with the Ottawa airport although I can manage in pinch comes to shove.

    ReplyDelete
  5. May you enjoy the peace and quiet, and may his venture prove a profitable one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much more relaxing than a middle of the night drive, Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is what we are supposed to want.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While our children were growing up, my husband traveled often. His jobs changed and when the kids started going off to college, his business trips ended - just as I was beginning to enjoy some free time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like the perfect solution. We usually have to get up very early on the rare times one or both of us travel, airport an hour and a half away, but not that early. A month away would be interesting. I get a week a year when he is away without me. It could be longer. we have lived and worked together for 41 years so time alone is never turned down. some great pictures. unfortunately you wouldn't find that sort of ambiance anywhere near either of our airports. that's a great shot of the glass building. don't usually go for that kind of architecture but it's so prismatic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since your response is from an artist's eye I am blessed.

      Delete
  10. I am curious as to where he is going -- like a Where's Waldo game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always leave me wanting to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Linda above.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hub used to travel a lot, not only in the US but Europe and Asia. Enjoy your single alone time, but don't get too used to it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, you sound wonderfully crabby this morning. It's wonderful to see you no matter what. We saw glimpsees of modernization here after walking small streets lined with modern shops. It's beenn an interesting and heart breaking trip for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed your photos. I long ago ceased being willing to drive in and out of LAX, or a couple other airports here including one 20 mins away. Fortunately have a choice of various types transportation. Hope you can enjoy your alone time while your husband away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like time in big cities now and again. We've done that with my staying over an extra day and him flying back before we drive back down the valley-- not the airport hotels though. He had to take MAX out to the airport. Another way to avoid leaving a vehicle is to rent a car for the drive up and then back when I didn't want the drive and it was too long he'd be gone. Not cheap but then doing what one wants often is not.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.