Sunday, September 24, 2017

The Wrap-up

While I took over one thousand photos...OK closer to two thousand...I deleted at least 20%. ( I saw that eye-roll.)  I have backed up the rest of them for memories and so that my children have something to throw out when I die. This last post is just a quick look at who got us there.  In these times I am very aware of the importance of work, economic stability, and international relations.  I almost always find a reason to admire those that give it their all in work that is demanding and that keeps them away from their loved ones.


The crew of our ship was over the top in friendliness and assistance, as they must be in such a competitive industry. They certainly hear the same questions from old people day after day regarding the complicated schedule, and still, they fail to lose their patience. The Captain, who certainly kept to himself, was from Germany and amazing at being able to dock and maneuver through the locks with almost no jerky movement that you would notice. In the photo below, he is turning a very small wheel (palm size) that adjusts thrusters and moves us every so lightly toward the shoreline to dock.  He turns just degrees!



The lower level crew that handle the rest of the ship usually come from the Baltic states where jobs are few and skills are high.  Their ability to speak English is a premium for these jobs.


At least the maintenance can be done in an open-air office.  These ships are amazing in their complexity.


The crew that deals with the passengers are usually from the countries that the ship passes through. Germany, Nederlands, and France were the homelands of our shipmates.  When I asked they said they usually have 8 weeks on and one week off.


Above a toast with Aquavit to the success of our voyage, by the Hotel Manager and the Chef. There is no staggard seating for dinner, but they managed to mass produce a decent meal with variety!


Some of the crew were multitalented and sang and played instruments. (It was not as hoaky as it may look in this photo!)


And the Cruise Director was also super outgoing, full of humor, full of the double entendre, and a good sport...she only wore this costume on the last night and looked professional most of the rest of the trip.


The serving and cleaning crew were mostly from the Philippines and a long way from home.  

I took the photo below in a haze as my cold was beginning and while we were waiting for our shuttle to the airport.  We were almost the last to leave the ship.




21 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I have never been on a cruise but I did once go to one of those all-inclusive resorts in Mexico. The staff was over the top attentive. Apparently they were all hired on a temporary basis only. If someone didn't measure up they were gone. It struck me as somewhat unsavory to have such a lack of security but it sure did keep everyone on their toes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time. It does have an advantage of not having to unpack and pack the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks and sounds like a very good time. amazing how different this cruise ship looks compared to the sea going ships.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those crews work hard. Kindness is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this shop review. I wish I could do that too.
    So hope your cold is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed your take on this. I think I'd like this kind of cruise. Smaller and well managed. I'm not much of a crowd person. Took an Alaska cruise with my sister and our 1500 best friends. We started eating in our room often via room service, the food was much better and you weren't jammed in like straws in a box. Saw wonderful things but this looks like a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being a janitor, i tend to notice the staff, especially behind the scenes staff, wherever i go. They seem to make the world go 'round.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful experience,
    now rest, get over your cold
    and enjoy your beautiful home...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. C. and I have discussed river cruises but haven't yet booked one. Your wonderful pictures are sure making me thing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do your research. Viking is expensive but also rewarding. Some of the others, not so much.

      Delete
  10. Enjoyed all your photos and trip commentary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures and post. It's good to read you had a good time. The trip sounds like it's a multi cultural tour in a tour. The length of the ship is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A unique point of view and quite thoughtful and appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for giving me some of the inside skinny on the staff. I would also be uncomfortable with such job insecurity. It was also nice to see some unusual pictures from a cruise. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those ship crews are away from home for very long periods of time. The Alaskan Cruise we went on had mostly crew members from the Philippines and they had signed on for anywhere from 6 months to a year. I certainly hope the pay was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we did not have the desperate and the global poor...wonder if we would have cruises for the upper middle class.

      Delete
  15. The misses and I have been on a number of cruises and cruise-ships. Our experiences have been generally positive. We have thought about river cruises in the past. Unfortunately I have mobility issues due to some health problems. My understanding of what makes river cruises so popular are in part the amazing excursions and quaint and personalized service. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This ship does have an elevator and also has tours that are for people who cannot walk long distances.

      Delete
  16. Nice news about the mobility things, but I sit here waiting for the 1900 other photographs. It's ook to give us more, you know. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes the crew work hard, long hours and a long way from home. I hope they get paid well. River cruises are our favourite type of trips.I hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a pretty boat. It looks quietly elegant and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.