Friday, September 30, 2016

Flattery Will Get You Everywhere

Does being around younger people (Millennials) energize you?  It does me!  We do not have tons of friends that age and probably would not have any at all if we did not have children that were in that demographic.  Recently a young couple has "adopted" us.  Yes, they like the fact that we have canoes and live near the river, that I am a better than average cook, and that we are liberals and not prejudiced against their marriage (an Asian and a Caucasian) as some elders are, including some members of their family.  So let them take shelter in our friendship.  Let them present the mantle of "Elder Wise Woman" on my shoulders.  I am rarely seen as that either by others or myself.

It was a gorgeous day to head out.  As with canoe trips that are not on our river, it means packing and loading gear and heading elsewhere...someplace new.


Once we got to our departure dock it was fairly easy to unload even though the car access had been blocked for road repairs.  We were soon on our way on a calm day.  Both were new to canoeing, so hubby took the gal and the guy "tried" to work the stern in my boat.  It was a bit difficult as he was learning and I had to do lots of draws and attempts to keep us on course.  My left shoulder was pretty tired at the end of the over two hour trip.


I remain anonymous on this blog and feel that if I am going to write about them, they also deserve some privacy.  I packed a lunch of curry chicken on croissants, grapes, cookies, and chips and they brought some of the sweetest fresh peaches I have ever eaten.


We found the edge of a county park that bordered the other side of the river after we were done with poking into fingers on the other side.  It was complete with a picnic bench and fairly clean port-a-potty.


Later in the day we stretched our legs on pocket beach that is used by those who hunt for shark's teeth.


The young man above is lost in thought and I probably know what he is thinking.  When he married his love she was not sure she wanted to have children at all and now she is pregnant!  Both of them are over the moon, of course.  He spent time in our canoeing together asking me advice about raising children.  What had I learned?  How had I adjusted?  Etc.  It was sweet and I tried to encourage him to go with his gut on most issues and give 160% effort.


This is a lovely quiet beach, and while others were there, it is not hard to get away from the crowds and look for fossils or bald eagles or just sit and enjoy the scenery.  They escaped from city life and hubby and I were welcoming fall.


She is starting that very special time in her life where she will no longer get any sleep and there will no longer be extra money, but life will be so very rich in other things.  I am envious.

22 comments:

  1. What a wonderful time you had with a beautiful young couple! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not envious. What a wonderful young couple. So sad their families aren't as open and loving as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are really lucky to have you in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect day, a great burgeoning relationship and fantastic photos so we can all share. It is a real bonus to have younger friends. Blessings from Dalamory. www.freda.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's neat. When we were younger, we quite enjoyed our somewhat older neighbours, and I think they enjoyed us too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the start of a lifelong friendship, enriching for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer to be around people of all ages. A friend just moved into a 55+ independent living facility. I would hate to have to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish them happy parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like the four of you had a great day. It is nice when generations can cross those invisible lines for advice and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to the happy couple! I would love to have such a couple in my own life, but almost all of my friends, physical and virtual, are older. Like me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's very energizing to be around young people. As The Chubby Chatterbox said in his most recent post, the best advice is to put that phone down and play with your children!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your pleasure in this relationship is their blessing. Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you and your millennial friends had a terrific time together. It is good to have friends of all ages. There is much to be learned from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't been canoeing in so long...too long. I prefer rivers over lakes though. your friends are starting a new phase in their lives. personally I'm glad to be done with child raising.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like they did you as much good as you did them...

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have younger family and friends and converge on some interests. It is energizing to be around the young.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like being around younger people. We compliment each other's perspectives on life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know it was a memorable day and lots of fun. Young people have learned not to ask for my advice because they can't shut me up. LOL

    ReplyDelete

  19. take me a away in a canoe, Calgon! The beach looks like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know what energizes me Tabor? Reading your blog. You have the most beautiful soul and your thoughts and comments are priceless to me. Once again, thank you for what you wrote and for giving me food for my thoughts - because I always leave with them and things you write always resonate with me for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are lucky to have you in their lives. Families can be so horrid sometimes. My 29 year old daughter and her beloved recently moved to our property from the west coast. Life is so much more interesting and fun with them around!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nothing is impossible, as long as we want to try and pray and always confident

    cara mengatasi dan mencegah gangguan asam lambung.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.