Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Busy, Keeping Busy

I have been away from Blogger, not because I am so busy, although I am, but because I have really not felt I had anything compelling to write about.  The average days of an old lady, while a blessing due to their predictability, are also boring.  I have been staking peonies, iris, and even some of the roses that are finishing their first major blooming to prop up against the heavy rains that arrive between days of perfect sunshine.  I could not have ordered a better spring and being the suspicious soul, I wonder if I will have a hurricane nasty summer to keep my life in balance.




I have been helping harvest the abundance of strawberries and edible podded peas that are appearing as fast as raindrops these days. Except for the abundance of slugs, we are getting a great harvest.  They are small but have a good strawberry taste. The larger variety that hubby planted are not so flavorful and tend to rot!




While so few of the birds are nesting in the houses we so carefully cleaned, I have spotted a blue indigo bunting and the scarlet tanager.  While not so common here, they are not rare, but just have that ability to reflect sunlight and look like dark little birds unless you are carrying the binoculars and a bit familiar with the songs.  And then the cry of the red-shouldered hawk fledglings were heard the other day in the nearby woods.  It sounds like they are trying out for some show.  They were soon gone.

We had heard the "meep" of a small fawn near the fence line this past week and hubby explored and found a little one lying in the shade of a fallen tree and watching us carefully.  We left it, expecting mother was away, and later in the week when we kept startling vultures while gardening, we discovered it was dead.  You may remember last year we tried to "rescue" a fawn and found it was just normally waiting for mother...and you can go here to re-read that in case you missed it.  Thankfully the bugs, predators and rain have moved it away as the smell of death competed harshly with the fragrant honeysuckle now in bloom.


And finally, just to keep us on our toes, the towel racks in the guest bathroom and on hubby's bathroom wall came loose and while I tried unsuccessfully to re-install, it took the purchase of a ball hex tool in metric size 2 so I could angle the turns and a kneeling position to get them both installed again!  Then we were rewarded with one of the in-hull fittings coming loose as hubby was planning to put the boat in the water.  Luckily he saw the daylight through the back of the hull while switching over the batteries and we were told that this is common in a boat as old as ours!  I got on my knees once again and stretched my arm to put the temporary plug through the hole so that hubby could tighten the temporary fitting from the outside while sitting in the canoe.  You do not own stuff, it owns you.

I will save the garage foundation fix and the cement truck for another day!  In between times you can enjoy my self-seeding larkspur which has gone crazy this year.


18 comments:

  1. It's funny, I sometimes cast about for something to write on my blog, but then when I realize that everybody's lives, including mine, are interesting to those who live differently, I just go ahead and write. Love the pretty pictures of flowers but it made me sad to realize that that the fawn did not survive. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful
    and envious
    as nothing has done well in my reduced garden
    Oh
    your roses
    beautiful and oh how I miss now
    as in past years had many..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful colour in your garden! Love the photos and the description!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so wonderfully funny. I am delighted by this post. All those wonderful flowers, a fawn, and a cement truck. what more could one want in a blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe you me, Tabor, your days have been action packed compared to life here. I'm tempted to try a bit of DIY to brighten my days, at least the house won't sink if I mess it up. I'd be happy just looking at the roses and strawberries if you ran out of words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pictures, and thanks for catching us up on your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your yard work is not boring to me, i wish i could grow things! It's sad about the fawn, but it is the way of the natural world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a peony that took off this year, don't know where it came from but it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers are exquisite. We arrived here in Seattle just a week or so late for the display of spring flowers we had hoped for, so I really enjoy these pix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our spring was mostly cold and rainy, and now it is hot and muggy. I finally got the gardens in but everything is small and a harvest of any kind has been delayed.

    Your strawberries and gardens are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Some wonderful flowers, and fantastic photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All this land of mine and nothing growing but trees, grass and weeds. I feel so guilty but once a couch potato, always a couch potato.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sad on the fawn but really no way to know at all-- the vagaries of nature. Your flowers are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  15. the roses are gorgeous. I don't have a knack for roses, too needy though my father grew them. the ones here are knockout or heritage and both do fine with neglect. I envy you the strawberries. I won't buy the ones in the store...hard and tasteless but big and red.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I share your thoughts about not having enough to write about that is interesting. Not true, Tabor, your photos are outstanding, as is your garden. And it is comforting to realise that the steady rhythm of someone's life matches one's own. Blessings from Dalamory

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh poor little fawn. :(
    Your garden is spectacular, so maybe life isn't really so ho-hum?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the flower show! When in doubt post pretty pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.