Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Taking a Pause



My last post before Christmas.  This year the  approach to the holidays was the easiest ever.  Daughter wants to do most of  the cooking, gift shopping was fairly easy followed  by two afternoons of wrapping, baked a few cookies, and today deciding on appetizers to make at daughter's house since I will be up there tomorrow.  Hubby and I put up a handful of decorations since we are the only ones to see them.  No  Christmas cards because  my computer was in the shop and I wanted to design the cards myself.  So, it  looks like I am sending out New Year's cards.  Maybe that will be a new tradition?

I spend my time today enjoying the musical links on my small  laptop as that keeps me in the real  spirit of Christmas which is  SUPPOSED to be about the birth of the Prince of Peace.  How easily we forget.  Two  people, a young carpenter and  a young woman, perhaps barely out of  her  teens, in the final stages of pregnancy, seeking shelter and being turned away several times.  This scene has  become common today.

I am truly so personally fortunate this time of year and this becomes more painfully clear
as three of my young friends are fighting serious illnesses and another young friend is struggling  with fertility.   It is normal for us elderly to fight our health battles as we have lived a long life and I can accept that, but it is not fair when it visits the young who should  be focusing on family and future.  So, they will be in my heart even more so this season.

May you find a way to  enjoy the true meaning of the season as the bright colors and laughter of the  season surround you, distract you.   OH, don't eat too much,  because you will have to face all  those horrifically annoying diet commercials in the New Year.

19 comments:

  1. Ah, a Christmas without stresses, you are indeed fortunate. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Christmas holiday sounds perfect to me. We don't even have up so much as a wreath, because it's just the two of us. You used the word "elderly" which I discussed on my blog last Sunday. I'm glad to see it used in context. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is special to me
    know that your interaction with this one
    has been so appreciated over the years.
    Best Holiday Wishes to you
    family here tomorrow
    and then quiet time and hopefully a healing time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds as though you have managed to take a lot of the frantic out of the holiday. Relax and enjoy family--as it should be. i hope you see wonder in a child's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't do christmas so it is always stress free for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is how the approach to the holidays should be. Less hectic and more focus. I feel it was that way for me this year as well, though we had the hectic too (just comes with the territory when you have 4 young kids). I have felt less stressed and more focused. I am grateful for that.
    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and another healthy and happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you said much of it all for me. No cards from here. No handwriting to do the cards. Presents for one granddaughter. None of the other's made an effort to contact us....a very sad thing. A few other presents given with lots of love. You gave me the gift of creativity with yesterdays poem. Thank you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This year I'm determined not to put on any holiday pounds. That's my goal, anyway. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Tabor,
    Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas. Hope you have a wonderful time with your family

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hoping happiness comes to you in just the way you want it to. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My cookies all melted into each other, but they still taste good. I miss my Sarah Mclachan Christmas CD, can't find it. Gotta get some sleep now cause the grand boys are coming tomorrow. Don't forget to look at the merry moon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. May the Prince of Peace find a place in the hearts and homes of you and all whom you love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One year I had to send "Happy Spring" cards in March- this year I have sent 4 n have no other addrs handy to find. Simple is so much better! I'm doing my Nanny's baking, that makes me happy.
    It is difficult to figure out why we are sometimes afflicted with not having what we want- but I'm betting there is always a profound reason we can't understand.
    Shut off commercials- Cookies for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are enjoying the holiday with the family in Kona. We all pitch in, even the little one, so things get done but no one has to work too hard.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS to you, Tabor and best to your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Things are good here. The kids have been out on their new scooters, and they are currently playing table top hockey. Very Canadian. Eh?

    ReplyDelete
  18. A Merry Christmas to you and yours. Blessings of comfort and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Boxing day to you too. It's vbeen a good holiday for us here.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.