Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Raising Teenagers

Me: Anything you want to tell me? Talk about? Reveal about yourself so that I understand exactly what's going on in your mind at all times and so that we bond in a mother-son way, deeply, so that we have a continued good and healthy relationship so that when you eventually leave me to go out and have an life independent from me (despite all the dire warnings I give you beforehand) you'll call me on the phone every now and then and ask my advice on things and tell me how your day is going even when you are 20 and even though doing that is really uncool?

J: What?

Me: Never mind. Tristan how was your day?

(Something I sort of overheard recently.  Been there and done that.)

14 comments:

  1. Funny!
    Been there, done that, doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having the experience of feeling as if my words become inaudible one foot from my mouth. "Let's eat!" usually gets heard, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made me smile with this one. Yes, been there, done that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's kinda still happening with my 40 year old son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want them to talk to you, go shoot baskets with them. Yes, really, it works. Get the boy to teach you if you don't know how. Boys are willing to talk if they are busy doing something else with their bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Linda Reeder, it's still happening with my 26 year old! Unless I choose the topic of sport conversations are entirely one-sided.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny and true... which is not that funny! :)
    Been there, done that, with my two sons... and I'm happy to read in your post and in the comments that I'm not alone in this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, and then you put even more time and effort into the next generation. Sometimes that pays off. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. yep. but they do return to the fold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha!!!! Oh no!!!
    So far my boys are VERY forthcoming with every single thought they have. I wonder how long that lasts. I'll enjoy it while I've got it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine are 20, almost 18, and close to 16. Need I say more?

    Actually, I have one Chatty Cathy, :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.