Monday, June 29, 2015

The Volunteer Snob

During the summer months I am involved in master gardener projects. One project could involve several hours 4 days a week, but I have decided that as much as I love sharing my love of growing things, I do not want to spend that much time in other gardens! I like doing nothing and running a house (which was always my secondary job) continues to take some time. Hubby, on the other hand, seems to be driven to find something to do every single day. I think it is much harder for men to retire and not have the responsibilities that they used to have.

I also was looking for a change in types of volunteering. I wanted to maybe work more one on one with people. I also wanted something more intellectual and less physical. I am still searching.

This past January I called our local office of Public Literacy to see if they needed teachers of English or reading or similar. They asked me to fill out a few forms, welcomed my skills, and set up an afternoon of training. I went and one other woman was there for the training at the same time. I learned that five of us had volunteered and they could only get two of us to come on this particular day and would train the other three the following week.

The training was easy and predictable. The structure of the process for each class and data input from the lessons with a student would be more challenging, but something I would learn to do with time.

I left them eager for a call to assist. It is now 6 months later and I have not received even a follow-up call from that office. It is not clear to me why no one needs assistance in my part of the county since I have been told they don't have any literacy volunteers down this way.

I realize that before the days of fall and less gardening start I am going to have to research once again for some volunteer work of an intellectual nature. Both Hospice and Meals on Wheels need help, but neither of these are something I want to do. Driving is something I hate and I do not think I am ready yet for hospice work emotionally. The museum wants someone for data entry...lonely and tedious work.

I think I just realized that I am a bit of a volunteer snob.

18 comments:

  1. In years past I did some volunteer work at library and church. Thought of Meals on Wheels, elementary school and hospital and never followed through.
    Now it seems family, garden and home is all there is time for.
    Good luck on your search, you are young and well qualified for much out there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can appreciate your continued interest in gardening, but preferring to not devote so much more time focused on the subject. You've earned the privilege of being a volunteer snob. I, on the other hand, have chosen to be a non-volunteer based on so many years of my life providing both personal & professional assistance to others. During those years I did also have an official volunteer stint providing basically ESL to two adults but the nature of their mobile lives cut the programs duration short. Shortly afterward the once thriving program which covered a large geographic area ceased to exist. I think accredited educational programs at all levels through university began training ESL teachers, and sources for financially subsidizing students thus paying teachers became prevalent, so free volunteer programs ended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny what hard work it is to find somewhere to work for free!
    I had volunteered to docent at our local museum, but was also never contacted. Then I became so busy with writing workshops, golf, and working (for $!) every other week scoring state teacher exams that I was glad they never got back to me. Plus, on reflection, after years of teaching, the idea of herding someone else's itchy classes through no-touch areas has lost its appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My volunteering has been cut back. I was starting to feel as though I had a full time job at the library and it was really cutting into my play time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes, I feel guilty because I don't volunteer on an official basis. But I do volunteer a lot with the grandkids, so I guess that's my role.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, you know what you are good at and what you would enjoy that would help people. That's not a snob, that's knowing your skills and talents and that you wouldn't be as good at helping people if you hated the work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was fortunate to find the right volunteer job for me when I retired. It fits me perfectly and gives me purpose. Everyone has to find what is right for them. Many communities need volunteers but don't advertise and you only find out through word of mouth. Right now, I am trying to help my recently retired husband find something to do that will give him some fulfillment. I know he will choose something, I am just hoping it will be soon because seeing him staring at the weather channel and watching the Doppler for hours is getting on my nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think you're a "snob." Satisfaction is part of volunteering for me. I used to teach reading in our local kindergarten until I found I was catching colds every other week. I have COPD and sadly had to give it up. Loved the kids and worked with the same great teacher. I did hospice for a year and burnt out. The food bank volunteer person hasn't called back. I too turned down the opportunity to do data entry at our local museum but last week I found they needed people to do reception fill in for their business office. I'd see staff (many of whom I know) and visitors and I know I'll like the interaction. I wish you good luck in your choice and agree with being a little choosey.


    ReplyDelete
  9. read your blog and can only say lol. I like how you do challenge yourself and look deep within for what's going on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is apparent that you are comfortable around the computer. Have you ever given thought to tutoring other people who may be struggling? Particularly elders. I was able to help one person with a specific problem and found that I really enjoyed sharing the knowledge. I also spent several years working on a technical problem for a school that needed help. I am still working with the school. It is very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My wife manages 90 volunteers for our local police department and it's a challenging task finding jobs people are willing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "A volunteer snob" - I love it. I think I am one too. Right now I don't have any time to give away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe I should sign up with my local library's tutor program to be tutored. I volunteer at a theater....used to volunteer gardening. And yes, was turned down(not hearing from them) many times.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think that's being any sort of snob. It seems to me if you don't like what you are doing, you're not very good at it. Find that one thing that's just right and you will shine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think you are being a snob. You have certain abilities that you would like to exercise, but instead you are given options that don't appeal to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tabor, I've often *thought* about volunteer work since retirement (you know - the giving back idea)... but never gotten further than that. I do stay busy - with the house, the cats, pottery, writing, reading, sketching, quilting, etc. - and of course DH and I get together with friends on occasion - and there's the kids and grandkids' activities, a little traveling (but not much). I think that I'm very possessive of my free time now that I'm retired... and am afraid of getting caught up in something that might make me feel tied down. I *over-volunteered* once when my kids were in school and think it may have contributed to this. Does this make me a volunteer snob - or possibly just selfish with my time?

    ReplyDelete
  17. If gardening is your passion, phone your local gardening club. I'm absolutely positive they will have something for you. Yes, I was looking for something less physical, and what do I do? I move books around every Wednesday, and on Fridays I sort clothing. LOL I can now pick up Michner's :Hawaii" again with my just repaired hand. Progress.

    I actually liked what I wrote today, but it certainly lacked depth. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think you're a "volunteer snob" either. Each of us places value in what we do. Many of us recognize that our time is a valuable commodity. So why settle for just anything. Be selective, you certainly earned that right. So of us choose to do less, others more. Not one is more important than the other.

    Life is too short. Smile and enjoy the journey :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.