Monday, March 30, 2015

Five Days in My Life

I am exhausted and restored at the same time.  I am full-up and empty.  I am lost and fully aware of my place in the universe.  I am full of joy and feeling the touch of bittersweet pain.

I just spent a week with my grand-children while their parents went away to celebrate their 40th birthdays.  Now, firstly, you must realize that I am not old enough in spirit to have children passing their 4th decade of life.  But it appears that factually I am that old!  Secondly, being responsible for a 3-year-old, a 7-year-old and a 10-year-old who spend the majority of their day in school and who are in bed between the hours of 8:00 and 9:00 PM cannot be portrayed by any stretch of the imagination as a difficult job.  They are really amazingly organized and well-behaved children.  They have rooms full of toys and books and games and their brains are sharp and creative.

I did not have a job to go to during the day or course work to complete in the evenings.  THEIR homework was sometimes challenging, on the other hand.  I was embarrassed to admit going brain dead briefly when working with fractions.  The terrible photo-copies of assignments sent home did not help in trying to understand some of the questions, but we muddled through.

We went to a park, hiked a trail, practiced bike rides, played board games, saw a movie, and walked to and from school each morning and afternoon.  They read to me and I read to them every single evening.  Even the 3-year-old has a favorite book that he read to me EVERY single night and we laughed at exactly the same places each time.

I cooked the healthy meals that Mom had left behind for me and they ate the carbs and protein and dabbled at the vegetables.  I got donuts for breakfast and chocolate Easter eggs for dessert, so we did not eat too healthy. 

So now I am spending daytime hours winding down back in my own quiet house in the woods.  Hubby is on travel and being in the house alone is much like a meditative experience for me right now.  I bought some new chanting music and plan on listening to it tomorrow and then plan the rest of my week and continue my process of being so thankful for what I have.

14 comments:

  1. You are a lucky woman and lucky to know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are blessed with a beautiful family. My daughter will also be celebrating her 40th later in the year. I can hardly believe it and we'll be called upon to babysit too. Aha... so your grandkids merely dabble with the veggies too, hunh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ages of our children
    this one cannot relate too.
    I keep thinking they are in their
    20's. Fact one in 40's and 3 in 50's and wonder
    how can that be.
    Grandchildren are a blessing
    and now it is time
    for you to be still when you can and count your blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My children are in their thirties and forties and they sometimes tire me out more than my grandchildren (who are perfect in every way).

    Spending time with the younger generation is such a gift and it sounds that except for the homework, you and the children had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely that you had some time with the grandchildren. I'm like you...there is no way my kids should be in the 40s. Ugh! Have a restful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a wonder how I got to have children in their forties when I myself am still only 39. Sounds like a meditative week ahead for you. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how exhilarating and exhausting children can be at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that is what this time in our lives is for. To be aware of all the blessings in our lives. Now is when we have the time to see and appreciate. My own grandkids are teens now but they still come to spend a week each with us in the summer and over the winter holidays and odd weekends now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems that it went pretty well. Good for you for giving chants a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful words. Go dig a bit, read a bit, and have a glass of wine in the evenings. Simply delightful comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exhausting yes, but I bet you wouldn't trade that time with your grandchildren for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you gave them great memories. It is work to be with them, especially in their homes when it's me, but it is a very special time. :) Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful that you are able to be with them for such a happy time. I hope you recover quickly.
    Blessings from Dalamory
    www.freda.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure I could hold up. I can if it is the only thing I'm focused on and even then I do a lot of it from a prone position in between activities, which makes me a target for wrestling. That's what happens when you have only grandboys.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.