Monday, February 02, 2015

Since You Asked

One (or more) of my blog friends was wondering why I could not post photos of works of art that I had seen in my museum tour on the last weekend.  I, perhaps, phrased this poorly.  It is a matter of not being able to render the actual beauty of any work of art by just taking a photo.  The art oozes its charm or shock or nostalgia with the surroundings of the room in which it was placed and with the specific lighting and even the atmosphere such as the quiet clean sound of a gallery.  I must also take the photo without flash, which sometimes works and sometimes does not, since I do not drag a tripod through the gallery, even if they would let me!

But below is a small example of my take on this room of over abundant stimuli-The Peacock Room.   It was painted by Whistler-the same man that painted that severe and austere portrait of his straight-laced mother-and you can see he has a much broader style and palette in his soul when he gets away from mama.  The colors rendered by this photo are NOT accurate, and that is why I hesitate trying to share works of art via blog.


This is the Western wall of the "dining" room and the painting for which the room is named.  Below is the controversial painting that hangs on the opposite wall.


The owner of the home became ill and was surprised at all the liberties that Whistler took with his elaborate painting and tours of his work to the public while the owner of the mansion was at his 'regular' home recuperating.  The painting above became controversial over time.  The Greek Anglo beauty above was in Japanese dress of popularity at the time and this was later considered too risque and too much like bedroom wear to be shown to guests.  I was truly surprised at this because Greek nude sculptures were accepted everywhere at the time.

Having written this, let me share in a better representation my tour of The Peacock Room owned by Leyland and painted by Whistler that you can take.  There is some good story behind the creation of this room and its final destination to the Freer Gallery.  You can go here for a beautiful tour of the room and here for more information.

This Freer museum is due for well needed renovation soon and this room will be taken apart and not seen for a number of years, so I was glad to be able to tour this winter!

16 comments:

  1. This post, along with your link, lets me know that I need a museum "fix" soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the pictures. They reminded me of fascinating special on PBS (I think) about the Peacock Room. You were so lucky to view it before it's disassembled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the art museums. It was so special to go to the Louvre. I've also been right by the Uffizi Galaryin Florence, but we didn't have time on the tour to go in. One of the most fascinating was in the Washington Museum of Art with the Picasso display of his younger years into the cubism. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Peacock Room is world famous! How I envy you for being able to see it. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that art work is best seen up close and personal, but that is not always possible, so I appreciate seeing second hand what others have to good fortune of viewing love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you were able to photograph the room....no matter how the shots came out. I'm thrilled to see them.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just catching up with you! What a pace you set!
    That Whistler lady could use some posture exercises. I suppose that slump was considered seductive, as well as the fact that she was not wearing her corsets. That would be risque!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well they translate well. I am especially taken by the second one and I love hearing the story. Nudes but no kimonos?

    So, Pat Conroy as in Prince of Tides? I saw and loved the movie but don't know any of his other stories. After the holy water bottle experience I saw Interstellar with the time circle travel premise. That guy pushed a watch off the dresser and changed his daughters life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that painting and all the surrounding with the various vessels. I was going to ask why it was so controversial but you answered it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand how the photos do not do justice to the textures, colors and techniques used by the artists. Unfortunately, I'm usually going through an art museum with my husband and if I don't keep a good pace, I'll never get to see all I want to see. I do take quite a few photos without the flash so I can study them afterward. However, I much prefer standing in front of or off to the side of beautiful painting. Studying it for however long I need, which is never enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, it's hard to capture the whole moment, but i'm glad you shared this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting. I only knew of Whistler peripherally and his mum is always the one that gets mentioned.

    You’ve enlarged my knowledge of him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I rarely take photos in museums either unless I take architectural photos - or photos of my grandkids if they're with me. I had no idea of the scope of Whistler's art. I have to mention that I read through to your list of things to do when keeping the Grands. Exhausting, isn't it? A pleasure to be with them for sure, but, luckily, like library books, we can hand them back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the second photo with the painting hanging in context. I don't normally appreciate pictures of paintings unless they serve a purpose beyond just showing them off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't been to a museum in quite a while (other than our local museums that I frequent a few times a year). I think I'm due.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing that the painting was considered risque.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.