Thursday, January 01, 2015

The Groaning Board




Winter's shadows on a steel gray afternoon
Shadows un-sharpened by the sun
Lie softly upon the wooden floor
Where worn leather soles
Once danced in abstract patterns on the oak
Leaving indefinite memories
Of lives of purpose,
But so long ago no one recalls them.

Heartwood, they boast proudly
Hard hearts lived here.
One has to look carefully for few scars
Scars are well-hidden in the dust.
Perpendicular forces buried
In the grain and quiet tension of the years.
They reflect no weakness in spirit
Or indecision in purpose.

A wooden floor that was built
To live above the earth, protecting a babe’s feet
And to get a foothold in life
Even to frame a braided rag rug that was
Completed with arthritic hands.
They are all now gone and winter afternoons
Whisper so that the wood does not groan.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, my, Tabor, what a lovely reflection on wooden floors. They do have a story to tell. Nice job on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent, poignant poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I had a great time reading your website. Can I contact you through email?. Please email me back.

    Regards,

    Angela
    angelabrooks741 gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. so rich!




    ALOHA and Happy New Year from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful tribute to an oak floor n Winter!
    I'd love to have hardwood instead of old linolium tile n very worn carpets in here...
    Have a great 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this makes me long for our Kansas home with 100 year old wooden floors and seven of the best years of my life as a honeymoon home for me and Ron. Beautiful capture my friend. Happy 2015 to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a poet with both word and camera.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful poem, Tabor!
    My best wishes for 2015 to you and all your family!
    Love,
    Sonia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice ... who knows what secrets our wooden floors hold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very deep and the thoughts go with the photograph. Seems like a book in the making to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very original and well-written. I don't think I've ever read anything from the perspective of the floor. Very Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, this makes me want to pamper my wooden floor. Well, for a second it did anyway. Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The words are beautiful and the picture is hypnotizing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect. I feel this so deeply today.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.