Monday, November 03, 2014

Washing the Brain and Coming Clean With You

I had promised in my last post to talk about my addictions. First you need to accept that all addictions are by definition compulsions you cannot control based on the rewards that your brain receives from them. But, with the exception of drugs and certain weaknesses in personalities, there are varied degrees of addiction and sometimes the addiction is strong on one day and weak on another.  I will not dwell on to what extent all addictions can be bad.

Years ago, when I was young and surrounded by diapers and baby food and bills and long days at home, I started watching a few soap operas on television during baby nap times. As I look back I realize it was truly escapism because my life was boring and the over-the-top adventures of Audrey and Mike and Dr. Whats-his-name with their perfect hair and breasts and shoulders kept me distracted just long enough to be willing to face dinner.  Eventually soap operas seemed repetitive, and predictable, and boring, and as my life was no longer tied to the house, I said goodbye to Barbie and Ken and their trials and tribulations.

Recently as my life has now slowed and I spend more time in my house once again, my entertainment addiction has become British mysteries. I love trying to solve them alongside the expert and befuddled detective, or in other cases the unofficial detectives Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot. If I watched an episode three years ago I may re-watch it because I have forgotten most of the details and the brain reward is the same. Hubby is most generous in sitting through these with me but usually he cannot understand half of what they say with their chin wags over a half-pint at the local "Swan and Blind Beggar" pub.

About two years ago I began to fold laundry, plan dinners, prepare food or pay bills in front the TV in the late afternoons and I returned to my former addiction.  Low and behold I came across a soap opera, one of those that fed my elder brain nicely. If you research the title of the show a description reads "An English Priest is transferred to a small Irish village." The show is called "Ballykissangel" which is the fictional name of the village in the show, and it is, of course, in Ireland. In the first episodes a very young and naive priest struggles with an overbearing Parish priest and a bunch of quirky parishioners. Eventually sexual tension between the priest and the pub owner surfaces, and while a soap opera trick, it really is done nicely and without lots of prurient plot scenes. (My opinions about Celibacy among the people of the cloth is a whole other post!) This soap opera moves beyond this priest as new priests arrive to replace him and the yearly episodes involved each of the quirky characters in amusing and sad adventures and I loved each and every odd villager, and the Irish culture and scenery was so addictive.



Yes, I will FINALLY get to the reason for this post, and it is not to show that I know how to waste time watching TV AND do work OR write wordy posts about nothing.  The real name of the Irish village where this soap opera was filmed was Avoca in Ireland. One of the reasons, and probably the primary reason, I selected Hunters Hotel for our first night, was because it was about 10 miles from the small town of Avoca! This is what addictions do...enforce you to make arbitrary and illogical decisions for that brain reward.


I dragged everyone traveling with me to that little village as a bypass on our way to a national park. I immediately found the famous pub, and just up the hill the Catholic church and crossed the bridge where many a plot point had been revealed. We pulled into the nearby parking lot and I spent about two minutes taking quick pictures and giggling. No one with me understood a wit about my school girl reaction, except for my DIL who had visited the house in the movie "Goonies" just a few months ago and posted her giggling self in front of that same house.  My intellectual mind knows that this is 'scenery'...a 'location shoot' because I was a drama minor in college.  I understand the smoke and mirrors part very well.  I also know that the little town made money for some time on this series.  I am guessing the actual name of the village in the TV show is copyrighted and that is why the name of this gift shop in the photo below is a little odd.


And, of course there was that magnificent and powerful and important character that had no lines in the series...the church.




But I also understand the magic of a storyline and how it captures you and compels you and makes you reminisce and puts you there in the lives of the characters.  And when it all comes together at the right time, it is magnificent.

Now aren't you glad you followed me all the way to the end? ( It is too bad for those others that stopped reading and went to get the mail.)  Do I not seem more human?  No? OK.  Go ahead and see if the re-runs of this show are in your TV schedule on PBS or BBC .  I won't tell anyone.  Try to start from the beginning or you will not get the full soap opera effect or addiction.

15 comments:

  1. I love those British mystery series. Your husband is a good sport to sit through them with you. Mike would never do that--why we had two TVs--so he could watch black and white WWII dramas and I could watch the BBC or PBS.

    I await the new season of Happy Valley myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like to read your sharing. Many addictions in the past and guess now that the number says old - even though a part of me does not accept -
    guess there is no time for most things of the past. I will probably never come clean
    because 4 grown children in the business world, grandchildren of all ages and some who have known me part of my life
    read what I share...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that as long as you are having fun with it, you go girl! Having something to look forward to, whether on TV, in a book, or in person, is something to keep your days going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand. I am somewhat addicted to Doc Martain and look forward to each episode that plays on PBS. It takes place in a seaside village outside Cornwall and the characters are charming and quirky.

    Having time on my hands after a lifetime of working and raising four children is sometimes difficult for me to handle. I am doing better as the years go by, but I do hate all the busy work that I find myself doing. I didn't want to do it when I had no time and I want to do it less now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing like seeing the places in person, i'm glad you got the chance to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following in familiar footsteps can be a real joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no you didn't. Like dangling chocolate in front of a chocoholic or a fine bottle of wine in front of an alcoholic.

    Sigh. Here I go. Off to search....

    ReplyDelete
  8. As soon as I saw you were writing about Ballykissangel I hoped you would have a photo of the church. It looks every bit as lovely as I remember it in the series (which I really enjoyed when it viewed here years ago). I, too, like those British mysteries. They seem to air late at night here but what does that matter, I don't have to go to work and can sleep late.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My confession: your trip just became a lot more interesting to me as I LOVED Ballykissangel. Thanks so much for the great pictures. Oh and one more confession: When we were in grad school my husband and I scheduled all of our classes and teaching responsibilities around Days of Our Lives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, you made my day. I'm currently "working" my way through the Monarch of the Glen. I'm addicted to those BBC mysteries as well. I loved B-K, and I got so excited to see you'd been there and to see your photos. Makes those ironing tasks and the like much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's fun. I'm looking for something like this and will give it a try. Some pure escapism would go well right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful set and follow through on your interests. Those kinds of things are not only frivolous in my mind but bucket list worthy adventures.

    I have never seen the show BUT, and I many have told you this before, when we were in Ireland. we were there. I was clueless that Fitzgerald's was a tv show set and tried to order something!

    There was a wedding going on there and we pulled over to watch. We eventually found out and took some pictures of the bride and groom in front of the pub.

    I think I recall that the town is also known for its weavers and we visited their big outlet and studios.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww I totally get what a kick it would be to see this place you already knew so well through the soap. Nice to know it as not just a series of sets and that the structures really exist in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like a pretty harmless addiction-- as addictions go. Even healthy since it let you explore and learn as part of it. I used to watch soaps years ago until my little daughter got interested in seeing them over my shoulder. I broke the habit. I think an addiction is only bad when it's not good for us-- and when we can't end it if we really wanted to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you can order all seasons (six!) at Amazon.

    I feel pretty much the same about McLeod's Daughters site in Australia - Kingsford.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLeod%27s_Daughters

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.