Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Night Out and A Mellow Out

My husband an I too rarely take advantage of the many activities in nearby Washington, DC.  It is over an hour's drive and we have to stay at one of the kid's houses in the suburbs and sometimes these activities are expensive.  But this past weekend we decided to take advantage of a Pink Martini pops concert at the Kennedy Center.  The Kennedy Center has several stages and presents all types of musical and dramatic events.  Some are free and some are very expensive.  When I had first moved to this area decades ago and first went to the Center I asked my neighbor if I had to dress up.  She laughed and said unless it was an "opening" I would see everything from nice dresses and suits to students with back-packs and in jeans.

This last weekend I saw the same.  Although some of these folks looked familiar and clearly were a celebrity of some type.  Nothing I could place in my limited cultural background.

Pink Martini is an international cultural band and now are based out of Portland, Oregon.  This particular evening they also showcased the talents of four of the great grandchildren of Maria and Captain Georg von Trapp.  These young ones are also now working out of Portland, Oregon, moving recently from a lovely little town in Montana.

It was a great experience because it was supported by National Public Radio, one of my favorite stations.  Ari Shapiro, one of their international correspondents, sang TWO solos and one duet.  Who knew?  What a talented and entertaining young man.  The very next day he flew back to Scotland to report on the independence vote in that country!  Also making a special appearance was Scott Simon from NPR, who cannot sing, but was most entertaining with his attempt at yodels.

I brought my small point and shoot camera and captured a few throw away shots.  My mind was not really focused and thus the camera had the same problem.  But I thought I would share the elegance of this concert venue for those who cannot visit it.


Just past the Hall of Nations into the North Grand Foyer where President Kennedy's bust towers over everything else.

Outside on the terrace where stunning weather allowed ticket holders to sip their wine or eat their candy while having quiet conversations before the opening curtain.


This view from the terrace looks across the Potomac river toward Georgetown.  (Maybe you will remember we ate dinner from that side and I posted a nighttime view of the Kennedy Center across the river?)

We were blessed with a stunning sunset looking toward the Virginia side.  This photo is blurred...like most of these and it "might" have been that great "Pink Cherry Cosmo" that I had with dinner at P.F.Changs in Arlington that increased the sloppiness of my photography.

But this last photo below turned out really fun...sort of like one of those rainy day impressionist paintings from a French painter.  Even mistakes can be rewarding.


17 comments:

  1. I love that last "mistake!" Nifty.

    I started following Ari Shapiro on FB this year & realized that he sings with Pink Martini as often as he can. What a guy. I would have loved to go to that concert. DC has so many wonderful things to do, but I imagine that the ordeal of getting to them and spending the night is definitely discouraging. Heck, I feel that way about going to Portland to see Pink Martini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pink cherry cosmos and pink martini pops sold me! We'll be spending a few days in DC soon because Joe is teaching a mindfulness class. All I know is that I want to see the Andrew Wyeth exhibit at the National Gallery of Art but hope to zero in on some other things soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last picture was a mistake? Very artsy all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I do like that last image. Could you reproduce the effect if you tried? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went to the Kennedy Center many years ago to see "Beauty and the Beast". It's really a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes in art a happy accident can contribute to a masterpiece. I really like that last shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a lovely venue. If i ever get to D.C, i'll have to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, you are cooking up a storm with your point and shoot. With my funky hands, that's all I use too. I really want to return there.

    Yes, what a fuss doctors are these days. I now have to take a piece of paper to my doc, get it signed, and return it to the surgeon. I pray for a cool day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS: And did your docs give you any info in reply? You do need to know.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed learning about your experience. I think if I had to brave D.C. traffic I wouldn't attend many events either.But you had a lovely evening and those are nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have thought that if I wished to visit any city, DC would be a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. RE Your Note: So very glad you are doing that action. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful trip, the venue looks worth seeing just for itself. Good for you, I am slow to make the effort to go out of the city for an event, my loss ;-).

    Hope you hear from the MD soon. No news is good news?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:45 AM

    That last picture is wonderful. I too like mistakes that turn into works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That last picture IS great, I agree.

    Monet
    Manet
    Tabornet

    ReplyDelete
  16. So like your pics, especially the happy mistake

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.