Tuesday, August 19, 2014

As Luck Would Have It

So the first Sunday in Colorado was going to be a rather long day.  I had a 50th High School reunion at a local small town restaurant (there were only 21? in my graduating class and only 7 showed!).  It was an emotion-filled thing with many having passed recently including one of the men helping to organize the event.  We all are talkers and I did not get to any really in depth conversations with anyone as we sat around a rather large square table with our spouses and significant others.  No one has changed in personality or interests though.

The horse girl is now a horse lady and she forgave my best friend and I for TP-ing her house every Halloween.  It was a big old mansion at the end of Main and we just could not resist.  She is about four feet five with a lovely long gray braid down her back and drives a BIG truck.  My two best girlfriends sat on either side, and as is true with best friends, we found plenty to talk about and started right where we had last left off.  The star quarterback and main basketball player who went to STATE our senior year had shrunk!  He was small in build and shorter than I. What happened???  My old boyfriend was in the process of his second divorce due to having an affair with the pretty blonde lady that he brought to the luncheon.  He is fairly wealthy owning lots of land in the area and seemed to have no problem leaving his house on the lake in a nearby town to his former wife who sadly was fighting cancer. Whatever did I see in him?  The class Valedictorian was still somewhat of a snob, but had spread in size and looked less like a book worm and more like the life coach she had become with her PHD in psychology.  Two of the spouses (men) sat like cigar store Indians, but were not bored, just quiet.  My husband talked almost the entire luncheon with my ex-boyfriend...wish I would have been a fly on the wall there.  Below is the class with partners, only 12, and faces blurred to protect the innocent, although I am guessing that none of us were innocent anymore.


Then later that afternoon my family had a get-together BBQ in a nearby town with even MORE food.  Hubby had his birthday that day and I was helping carry out a HEAVY strawberry/chocolate/poke(?) cake in a glass casserole when I missed the 1-inch step down on the patio and went down like a drawbridge just missing the metal table where everyone was sitting.  I landed on two knees and one elbow with the cake in my arms.  I managed to save the cake!  I had whipped-cream on my nose as I struggled up after someone took the cake and no one DARED take a photo.  Actually they were in shock when I stood up and you could have heard a pin drop.  My knee and elbow bruises were ugly...but no broken bones, even though I have osteoporosis.  I sat with ice on the knee for a while and broke out in a sweat due to the shock, but managed to maintain my cool.



As luck would have it, all the bruises were superficial and I was able to do all the walking and hiking the next two weeks in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana although the knee bruise got much uglier!  Oh yes,  I did say I saved the cake...didn't I?  (Post Script...my dress pants tore in my fall and luck had it that this happened AFTER the reunion so I did not wear torn pants!)


23 comments:

  1. That looks nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God you managed to save the cake. Ha! Glad that injury didn't ruin the rest of your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOPS---sorry you fell --but you did it in style I'll bet. Saving the cake made all of those bruises worth it I'm sure!!! (Yipes!!!)

    My 50th high school reunion was in 2010. I didn't go --because I didn't want anyone to say that I'd spread in size!!!!! BUT--since I've lost the weight, maybe I'll go to the next one hopefully in 2015....

    Hope you enjoyed your western trip...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I just had to laugh at your descriptions of your classmates. So funny. I went to my mom's 50th and 55th class reunions with her and was able to chat a very long time with her high school boyfriend as well. She had the same exact thoughts as you (and both men seem to have turned out very similarly as my mom's ex could NOT stop bragging about all of his STUFF- ugh), "What on EARTH did I see in him?" Still it was fun.
    OUCH for the fall! Holy moly! Thankfully nothing broken or permanently damaged. And you saved the cake! WOOHOO! That deserves a standing-O!
    Glad you are okay and were able to enjoy the rest of your time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I just had to laugh at your descriptions of your classmates. So funny. I went to my mom's 50th and 55th class reunions with her and was able to chat a very long time with her high school boyfriend as well. She had the same exact thoughts as you (and both men seem to have turned out very similarly as my mom's ex could NOT stop bragging about all of his STUFF- ugh), "What on EARTH did I see in him?" Still it was fun.
    OUCH for the fall! Holy moly! Thankfully nothing broken or permanently damaged. And you saved the cake! WOOHOO! That deserves a standing-O!
    Glad you are okay and were able to enjoy the rest of your time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think it is possible to have in-depth conversations at reunions unless you go off two by two, away from the crowd. (even if the crowd is only 7+ spouses/girlfriends.)

    Sorry about your fall. I took a similar one twice, holding wedding flowers, and saved the bouquets both times, while scraping my body/face/nose/elbows/knees in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our 50th high school reunion was last year. I didn't go. We were in Alaska at the time and although it might have been nice to see some of my old classmates, the Alaskan trip was great. And I do keep up with the friends that were close to me anyway. Ours was an all girl high school, so no old boyfriends to confront...

    Sorry about your fall. Hope you're on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like things could have gone much worse with that fall, and i'm so sorry one of the event organizers didn't live to see it. So much good and bad happens over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had my 50th, three years ago and won't likely go to another. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy it but just why would I do it? I was curious how everyone aged. That was satisfied. Next time would probably be tougher with more gone on. I think there were 70 or so at ours counting spouses though.

    On your fall, when I did that earlier this summer, and without a cake, I didn't save myself and broke my nose, I was shaking afterward. There is a shock to a really hard fall which I had never experienced before even though I'd taken other falls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are too cool!



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ouch. Probably hurt your dignity worse than anything else. I have osteoporosis too and I share your fear. I was very surprised when I took my fall late spring and landed on my thigh and the wrist and heel of my hand. Wrist hurt like hell for weeks but I wore a brace and it wasn't broken thank all the gods that be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My 50th was apparently amazing with over 250 happy graduates and their people. One of my classmates who is now very very famous hired the remains of a used to be famous rock and roll band and singers to provide the same music we danced to a half century ago. I wasn't able to attend, but have enjoyed everyone's reviews on our class of 63 website.

    Cake at all cost!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got branded in CO! I hope you travel with Arnica gel - it helps with bruising and swelling. You never know when you have to save a cake. Happy belated Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear that you saved the cake and even better than that - you did not break any part of your body.

    I seem to remember sometime in the past you did hurt some body part and it took time to heal.

    Lucky, you came home in one piece! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Knees heal, bruises fade, but you saved the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an eventful Sunday. I find it kind of ironic that we risk our bones and neck saving things like a cake and flowers when we fall.

    I know that it was a plus to save the cake, but at what cost to the body? Not to be misunderstood, I would have broken my neck to have saved the cake. I guess it is just how we are.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, when you are responsible for saving the cake, you do what you have to do. Glad those injuries earned in the face of duty did not sideline you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your classmates all look fairly fit and that is probably why they made the reunion and probably why they are among the survivors. I will attend my 50th on October 3,4,5. That is if I survive. I am certainly not one of the fit ones.

    Sorry about the spill but happy about the cake. I cannot imagine anything worse than falling at a high school reunion. At least they will have something to talk about going home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oy i am glad that you were not hurt in the fall..and even saved the cake...ha...i have never been to a high school reunion...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry to hear about your fall. It only takes a moment of inattention. Glad it wasn't any worse.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an adventure you had. Your knee looks awful, but you waved the cake. Bravo!!!! What interesting people too. Many of my public school class have died, but most of my graduating class are still here. No more reunions tho. They got really boring.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I seem to be having a tough time getting comments pages opened lately- Was here earlier. Sounds like a fun reunion tho missing some folks.
    I missed my last re-union due to work obligations. Plus I lost my classmates pw n can't read any messages sent to me.

    Sorry about your awful bruises n amazed the cake made it! Just yesterday I fell n bashed my knees in twice on the wet cement floor at work n had to keep going.
    You're a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like you had a great time until you fell. So sorry for your boo-boo.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.