Saturday, July 05, 2014

King Arthur, Spoiled Brat


Arthur came rushing up like a banshee getting angrier and angrier with its temper tantrum until it hit the shore and colder waters.  It was almost as if it had been punched in the nose as it slowed and moved back out to sea.  It completely avoided my little pocket of land on the Eastern shore.  A cool weather front met Arthur's challenge and we now have spring weather for a few days.  Sweater weather...almost.

On the down side we got only a tenth of an inch of rain and winds too strong to go out in a boat.  We headed down  to the local town for an old-fashioned fireworks show being surprised that parking was not full and there were still many places to set up chairs on the church lawn.  We had not seen the fireworks from the land side and asked a dear old lady (younger than me probably) sitting on a folding chair about the best vantage points.  She explained the fireworks had been postponed and she was just waiting for her family who had decided to walk around town before sunset.

A number of years ago a restaurant fire on this island coupled with heavy winds almost burned down the entire town as firefighters worked desperately to bring it under control.  The tally was only two buildings lost and some smoke damage.  With the wind causing unpredictable drifts that evening, fireworks had to be exploded another day.

I am no longer a child and was happy just to get out for a bit and then back home.

13 comments:

  1. We watched fireworks with a backdrop of lightening in the far distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear Arthur veered off and let you be. Getting out almost anywhere can be a nice break even without the fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad Arthur didn't do much damage and that you weathered it without incident. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A hurricane that loses a lot of its punch and doesn't do as much damage as feared is great news. Hope you are enjoying the cool down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you avoided a damaging storm. Fireworks can always be rescheduled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:46 PM

    I'm so glad you didn't suffer any damage from Arthur! Enjoy the cooler weather. I do hope you get to watch the fireworks later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May you continue to dodge the bullet!
    I know what you mean about not really caring that an event such as fireworks is cancelled. I note in my own case that almost any little thing pleases me these days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To your final line I say "Amen"
    Clever title today!


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. With the 4th on a Friday, we have all weekend to party. I hope you get to see your fireworks after all. and I'm glad Arthur left you alone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I LOVE the cloud picture! Had to wear my jacket watching the fireworks, too. Not too windy here. We had them Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a stunning photograph. Flat out marvelous. Yes, I like free verse. Don't stop please. I need to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you were spared the king's full rage.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.