Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

My loyal readers know that I have been drowning in responsibilities these past weeks.

First we finished the Green Exposition by staffing (and expanding) the children's garden.  Children help us during this one Saturday to plant vegetables for later harvest for an ecumenical food pantry.  Fresh produce, while provided by farmers, is welcomed from our garden with more variety.

We worked with over 100 children during the day.  They are so fun, because they really like planting a plant!
We have expanded the raised beds from four last year to eight this year.  OMG!!

Please note that I try to hide children's faces out of respect for parents who do not want their children's faces spread out over the Internet.
And within two weeks we have salad!!

The museum donated this strawberry planter which we are using for herbs such as thyme and oregano.
The big push for this project is now done, although we have much ongoing work through out the summer.  Two short classes each week, regular watering and weeding, and delivery of produce!  We do have other volunteers to help, so that makes us sigh just a little.  Next post I will talk about the yard review by Master Gardeners.  Another big project done!

15 comments:

  1. Wow, big project but sounds like a worthy one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great
    and I am almost
    jealous
    would love these raised beds
    or some of them in my yard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great that children can participate and see where food really comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! That lettuce looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally potted 2 plants! I'm very behind because of the weather-
    You did So many! Wow- such a great thing to help with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a big project, and worth being absent from the virtual world for a time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My city grandchildren visited us in the country. I let them help me pick strawberries and my grandson Ryan held a rather large berry up and said, "Wow, these are just like the real ones you get in the store!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice, kid-attractive boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a great project, worthy of your time and effort. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please take time to breathe after that one. WOW, I like kids in the library, but I haven't tried gardening with them yet. :)

    Yes, Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona...they are all in trouble. I watched Nature last night on the beavers. Perhaps we all wouldn't be in quite such trouble if we reintroduced beavers here in the west.

    Thanks for the note.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a worthy venture - I appreciate the time you've spent to allow children this experience! My own gardens are still slumbering, but I hope to witness more of your spring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great undertaking ---and so GOOD that the children can participate... We all need to help our children learn to love and appreciate the earth... You all are doing a fantastic job... Keep up the good work.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a fun and worthy project! We should take advantage in every way of kids' interest in nature, gardening and enjoying fresh food.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a fabulous project to do with children. It really makes them appreciate gardening, plants and nature.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.