Wednesday, May 28, 2014

That Is Not Fair

There were interesting comments on my prior post.  I just wanted to clarify that I was not against the Afghan immigrants moving here, working here, and going to school here, and of course, spending money here!  I am assuming that those who waited on me were citizens of the United States although still having close ties to their homeland.  That freedom is what makes this country great.  Yes, we have those Americans who are prejudiced against these folks and that really came to the foreground after 9/11.  But we also have laws that protect them against most of that.

I just keep trying to get my mind around helping a country that has a large wealthy class while our middle class is shrinking.

I just had problems with the dichotomy of having so many of our college graduates not finding jobs and carrying college loans with a Congress that does not seem to care to support our own college students while voting for a war.

I have problems with our soldiers families living on food stamps after protecting Afghans from an invasion in their country with a U.S. Congress that has vetoed several veteran's support bills this past year that may have also avoided this health care issue.

I guess I also was having trouble with life not being fair.  But then...when has it ever been?

14 comments:

  1. Well said. I echo your thoughts about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie said it for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True enough. It rarely is. But it's always interesting, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well---I understand where you are coming from. BUT--the problem I have with Congress and our Administration (whether it be Democrat OR Republican) is that ALL they seem to know how to do is to POUR MORE MONEY into all of these Govt. run programs.. AND--as you probably know, the money never gets to where it is needed. It all seems to go into the pockets of those wealthy govt. workers. What has happened to our VETS is horrible. It has gone on for years and years and years.... BUT--it's another Govt. run program --with people running it who are not qualified. I truly wonder if there is ANY Govt. run agency/program which is run/operated properly. Wasted taxpayer money is POURED into these agencies---yet none of them are run like most well-run PRIVATE companies... In my opinion, we need to overhaul the entire mess in Washington DC... Nuff said.... (Sorry for the rant.)
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. We should stand up for fairness even when we know it's not how it often works out. Life itself is not fair but our legal system can at least be equal for the poor and rich... I should say-- should be as it clearly is not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think parents do their children a terrible disservice by introducing the concept of fairness. It might make for a more peaceful household but the world is NOT a fair place and the sooner that is understood the better off young people will be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that fair does not mean equal, but the current distribution of wealth in this country is worse than unfair. And frankly it drives me craziest when it is those who have a little that scream about those who have nothing having an unfair advantage like food stamps and medicaid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always hard to reconcile these things. The whole situation is overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It boggles the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really appreciate your clarification even though it brings up more the muddled mess we try to sort through and feel powerless to fix. The tragedy continues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing is fair. Did I say that?

    It's a struggle to start one of those books, but now it is done I feel triumphant. The thing I didn't know is that the online/cloud album you make doesn't have to be in final order. You can do anything with your photos once you start.

    Volunteer? LOL I find I work everyday now for the store. Sometimes, it's just a few moments putting photos up in Facebook or longer building an album. What takes time is the two days I go in to the store to photograph and book. I laugh at myself often.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still looks like fall. I think I will go volunteer. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with Kay. Money means options. That's why so many scramble to make as much money as they can.
    Also, when government programs fail, it's because of lack of oversight. Personnel cutbacks and privatization make supervision hard and the crooks run away with the money. As in the wars in the Middle East. And as I have seen in my little corner of the world here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.