Saturday, April 12, 2014

REST

This time in the early spring morning the world is in a waking dream.  The birds sing gently.  The surface of the river is like a clear, perfect mirror.  In the tranquil air, the few dead leaves remaining on the trees hang placid as if forgetting they are hanging by a thread.  Everything lies still waiting for the surprising warmth that is sure to come.  But right now the temperature is perfect.  It is light sweater weather.  It is morning coffee weather.  I check the porch of the big bird house to see if the meal worms I left yesterday are still scattered there.  Blue birds have come and taken them all when I was busy cleaning house. I had company last night and all the dishes were washed in the dishwasher.  This should be my reward time.  A day to plant some annual seeds such as zinnias and sunflowers.  A day to watch birds build nests and dance with their mates.

But I have other obligations yet and again!  My son called last night to tell us he has ordered a truckload of soil and if we could bring up our shovels and the wheelbarrow he plans to level and reseed his back yard on this find Saturday spring day!

Somewhere in Isaiah is written "There is no rest for the wicked," although the word rest is replaced with peace.  My Lord I have plenty of peace in my heart...but I must be very very wicked, because I am still waiting for some rest.

10 comments:

  1. There are only two letters in the word rest. "NO"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah but just think of how wonderful it will be to rest after seeding that lawn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one, Tabor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn’t you have pleaded joint ache?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our son is thirty-three and his mother doesn't realize it's okay to say "no" to him. I don't have a problem saying "no".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somewhere i read that "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." You could say, "Purchase of soil on your part does not constitute a requirement for helping spread the stuff on my part."

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of people have a hard time saying no. I find it surprisingly easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to say no when your heart really wants to help those you love, even when your body doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a feeling you are a fine negotiator, I'd start negotiating if I were you. Something he can do for you while you rest would be ideal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't want to have to move a load of soil ever again.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.