Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Granny Alice in Wonderland

What had possessed us to stay in this area?  It was a coupon for a free week, of course.  We had spent money on a wedding and other things this year, and this resulted in us getting lots of points and the offer of a "free" stay in a condo.  The condo is in the heart of busy, traffic-congested, fast-food-filled, gift shop rip-off Kissimmee, Florida.  This is the center of the state and as if to test our vacation spirit even more, the very ridge of that famous solar vortex has edged here making the weather very cool and unpredictable with sun then rain then sun.  The condo where we are staying is a little larger than a postage stamp.  The swimming pool is even smaller.  We have a view of the large dumpster in the parking lot where they are currently dumping the building restoration materials from the other building that they are upgrading.  No shopping or restaurants are within walking distance, and the kitchenette is amenable only to cooking food via microwave.  At least it IS quiet at night and free!

We had spent a long weekend at a lovely hotel (expensive) on Marco Island and then another week's visit with friends near Ocala prior to this, so this wrap-up week is a bit of a downer.




Kissimmee, for those who do not know, is near three thousand (well a bunch of!) theme parks and shows and good and bad restaurants in Orlando.  You can visit Disney (3 theme parks), Universal Studios (2 theme parks), the Holy Land, Busch Gardens, Dinosaur World, and Cypress Gardens now LegoLand...just to name the most obvious.  You can visit Sea World and take a ride past penguins, blast off in a Jetlev personal flying machine, take a gater filled airboat ride, off-road somewhere in the jungle, swim with dolphins, zip line at the zoo or get tickets for their paint-ball shoot experience.  There are all kinds of Las Vegas type shows to fill your rainy afternoons and evenings.  If you have the money and time, you can do it all and stroll through the many outlet stores!

We have 'been there-done that' with our children and grandchildren over the years, and while we have not visited every single theme park or seen every single show, we are life-time satiated.  We are also here without young ones and have no need to maintain a check-off the list.  (If you are young, I am sure this sounds depressing to you, but when you get to be our age, you will not find it depressing.)

So, yesterday we drove to a state park, put in our canoe and paddled down a river to a lake.  I took a ton of bird photos (will share a few later on my other blog), saw deer, my first wild pig, and enjoyed a misty day.  The day before we visited the Orlando Zoo and a Florida spring, both which were nice if not thrilling.  Today they predict rain, so we may head to a shopping mall in the morning and then search out a show or movie later in the day.  Since we live in the country, it takes so little to please us.

Thursday and Friday are supposed to be sunny and warm, so we will flip a coin and drive the hour and a half to the Gulf shore or the hour to the Atlantic and beach it for a day.

I do NOT miss the weather that is happening where I live, but I am hoping my pipes did not freeze while I was gone!!

20 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:56 AM

    We drove through that area when our kids were young, heading home from a wedding near Miami. We didn't let the kids know we were so close to Disney World. Instead, we took them to Gator Land and they loved it! I'm still one of the few who have never visited a Disney park...along with my two youngest kids. The older I get, the more I think I can live without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have heard it before--you get what you pay for.
    But it sounds like a good vacation to me and a winter get away is always worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two out of three is not bad.

    I have friends that visit Disneyland twice a year. Their children are grown and they have no grandchildren but they love it. To each their own, and like you, I have been there, done that, and thank God, I never have to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ocean is the great equalizer, like going back to the womb. Don't much care for theme parks myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing.
    I think my leaving the woods
    days are over
    and so content here :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a dear friend who just left Seattle last night for a visit with family and friends near where you are. She was a little wary of the weather but like you, indoor activities will work and she will have her cousins and grandkids to visit. Hope its relaxing and kind to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how young I am but this does not sound depressing to me at all. It sounds smart.

    We have not taken our kids to Disney as yet and we're not sure we ever will. I tend to stray from things that other people feel I "have to" do with my kids. Disney is one of them. My parents never took me and when I finally went (I paid for it myself) when I was close to 20 I thought, meh. Don't see what the big deal is. We'd rather travel to different states each year with our kids so that by the time they leave our nest they have made a big dent in seeing the country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paddling down a river in a canoe to a lake sounds like heaven to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you turned off your water at home.. We always do that when we travel.

    Sorry about your condo experience. We got 'rooked' once last year using a Groupon coupon. We had rented a mountain cabin near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Looked perfect... But--the cabin was in horrible shape --and we struggled even to stay there at all... Can't be too careful I guess when you use points or Groupon-type things. We get what we PAID for... ha

    Hope the last few days in FL are good for you all. I'd love that canoe trip.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even if the accommodations aren't the best, i hope the fun you have outside of the place you stay makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I won't rub salt into your wounds like those commenters that want to remind you that you get what you pay for, but I will keep my fingers crossed that your pipes back home didn't freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've done Disney, Sea World, etc. It's good to know what it's all about, but like you, I'm well over theme parks. Give me a museum, a nature park, a bike ride, horseback riding, a good restaurant, a view of the water... and I'm good.

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I isn't hard to guess why that place is free, but at least you are out of the freezing northland a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. To me this is a vision of hell.Every brush I've had with Florida makes me hate the place more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Free plus day trips sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never been to any theme park in my life. Have attended a couple of state fairs and one or two small amusement parks. Not a fan of crowds at any level.

    I will not tell you about both of my siblings having their water pipes freeze and burst because it might upset you.

    It is wonderful to have you back where you belong.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds to me like you have the ability to make the best of whatever situation you find yourself in. It's not great but it's free and if you have places to paddle and enjoy, it sure beats nothin'. I would shy away from those theme parks also. No way I'd be considered young though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You do sound great despite the horror of your surroundings. LOl I'm shaking my head.

    Yes, come out here and visit the San Diego Zoo. You will love it...we do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never been to Kissimmee, Florida, and now I really really want to go!
    Sounds like you're making the best of it. At least it's FREE, and you're not freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Free is Free! Looks like the timing was really good for staying somewhat warm too!
    Hope your home is ok-

    Pretty there- n nice bird reflection! Swan or Egret?

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.