Friday, August 16, 2013

A Big Deal

We have lived for several years with three large tulip poplars on the side of the house where the storms arrive.  Most of the trees in the ravine that die fall in the direction of the house.  During hurricanes we go down into the basement and hope that they will not fall against our bedroom wall.

I took the photo above to show the permit office, because you need to get permission to cut any trees, and I call these 'hazard' trees which makes it easier to get permission.  The permit costs $180.00...our lives and the lives of those we love...priceless.

This photo is from behind the house and there are actually three trees we had to remove.  Two are very close on the right side of the photo.  The third is the one that appears to be leaning right beside it.


We asked our neighbor for a good company and he sent us these good old boys.  I use this term with the greatest of endearment...because they really are!


They use a slingshot with a weighted bag to shoot through the branches of the tree they wish to down.  It was not going to be topped or cut up for firewood.  We just wanted a safe 'drop', which is cheaper and safer for all when you have lots of room as we do.  They then feed a heavy-duty rope through the path of the slingshot and pull taught after the cutter cuts the wedge and the other side of the trunk directing the fall.


The fellow above who weighed about 90 pounds was in charge.  He was in his 50's and had been dropping trees for decades, one of the few with the skill in the county.  He had been working with some Naval group in his youth and kept apologizing for the four letter words that the crew was using.  He said they were somewhat new and he was trying to train them.  I just smiled.  All I cared about was that they were being careful and concentrating and if that meant they had to swear...so be it.  The trees were tulip poplars which are considered shallow rooted and easy to rot.





As you can hear in this video above (not taken with a fancy movie camera), I was quite impressed and just a little terrified!!  I feel so sad about the great gap that we left in the ravine and the death of these old ones, but I feel so much safer sleeping at night after the ground has been soaked for days and before the arrival of a nasty storm.

17 comments:

  1. Looks like they did a great job. There is definitely an art to falling trees. I have never understood the permit to drop a tree requirement, if it's on your property.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a hard call but if they are near their lifespan, it's definitely a risk to keep them. When the old ones give way, the younger ones get more light and nutrients and can grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to have to take out trees but I'd do the same if I were in your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand
    as trees the same as yours close to me
    have had to be cut down.
    A few more to go and hopefully
    before one falls on this cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had to make the difficult decision to remove trees, too. We are blessed not to have to pay an office for the privilege, just the people who do the work.

    Now if we could just get the neighbor to trim or remove one of his that may well hit our house if it comes down...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I just went through this same thing, minus the permit expense. We had 7 trees taken down, 5 of which were poplars. It was violent and exciting too. I asked our good old boy how he learned this skill and he said he's been living in the woods for 30 years. They got them all to fall exactly where they said they would. They are still in the yard and driveway after 2 weeks because Joe's been away. Let the line shine in and the clean-up work begin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great video...those are some tall trees! looks like their absence brings more light in. nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, My, Gosh. Just amazing. Yes, you will really miss the trees, but you will feel so much safer. We have an alder out in front that needs to come out. I so understand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Slingshot -- what a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always mourn trees- Especially the older ones- we get so used to them. But yes, they are dangerous in storms-

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow..those are some trees...how interesting too on needing that permit...makes me wonder at the ones we took out...ha...but there is def a peace of mind...particularly after the two trees my neighbor had fall in the storms this last year....

    ReplyDelete
  12. A good tree trimmer (cutter? what do you call those guys? good ol' boys fits I guess) is priceless. Our good ol' boy is like a monkey the way he climbs up the trees to clear out branches. He really knows what he is doing.

    It is scary watching that with such huge trees. Glad it all went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always enjoy watching tree climbers/workers; what amazing skill they have, and their job leads the list of dangerous occupations.

    It's sad to see big trees come down, but there are legions of saplings thanking you for the favor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:05 PM

    I can imagine it was a tough decision, but I agree, when it concerns the safety of your family, you have to make that top priority. I'm glad you found a good crew!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:05 PM

    I can imagine it was a tough decision, but I agree, when it concerns the safety of your family, you have to make that top priority. I'm glad you found a good crew!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love seeing your patio and your garden! Just beautiful!
    I understand when trees have had to be cut down for our safe. Here in my garden we also had to cut some eucaliptus and some cendars too.

    Wishing you a pleasant weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad I read the previous post before commenting on this one. Now I see that you own the green belt where you dropped the trees. I wondered about that. I hate to see trees go, but I understand the safety issue.On the ground they'll still provide homes and add to the habitat.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.