Sunday, June 23, 2013

Family!

Family!  I think that the best of us, and the worst of us is brought forward at weddings and funerals.  I love each of my brothers (2) and my sister (1) and my dearly departed sister (1) tremendously.  I like my brother-in-law; I like my sister-in-law; and I tolerate with patience my other sister-in law.  None of us are perfect and we all come from various backgrounds and relationships, and if you love someone you tolerate those they love.  I am lucky in that I do not live too close, and therefore, find it easy to keep my opinions to myself. 

When I used to fly out to visit them, I would have to stop by my "baby" brother's house, because he could never get away to see me the entire week I was there at my parents farm only 8 miles away.  He would fix me and my husband a lovely dinner and we would visit and enjoy each others' company.  His wife would never be there, though.  She was always off visiting friends or doing something vague which never was clear in my mind.  Years later I learned that her first child had arrived her Senior years in high school and resulted in a quick wedding that did not last.  She never went to college but I really think she never wanted to.  One marriage and two more children later, she married my brother.  That was when I believed her insecurity at being with us college educated types without such divorce histories was her reason for avoiding us.  I went out of my way to make her feel I was not judgmental in any way and made sure that she understood I thought her three children from two prior marriages were shining examples of good people...which they really are!  Yes the first two have illegitimate children and have never married, but they are basically good solid folk.  The last (under my brother's stronger influence) did make it through college without getting pregnant and seems to have a solid relationship with someone and without children at this time.

Anyway, the stimulus for this diatribe post is my brother's public comment on FB (not the private messaging venue) that he did not have a suit for my son's upcoming wedding.  I thought he was joking and we commented back and forth over a few days until I finally explained that a shirt and tie would make him more comfortable than those in suits sitting in the late afternoon summer sun...the wedding is outside and a suit was not compulsory. 

Now this week, just 12 days before the wedding he PUBLICLY comments on FB that there is a 'snag' in their plans to fly out for the wedding and the later drive to my house.  The dog sitter they had arranged for could not come and they hope to find one that "they approve of" before they have to leave!  He has never come out to see me in all the years I have lived on the East Coast except for my daughter's wedding ten years ago.  Although I have been to visit him at least three times since then.  I do love him, but think this is all someone else's insecurities coming forward.  I think someone does not want to spend time with all the in-laws and is hoping she will not have to.  Unfortunately, even her first born son had said to me years ago that she is a very selfish and self-centered person. 

Do I sound just a little annoyed?  Well, I am.  This  is not a big deal to anyone, but me, of course.  OK, got it off my chest, now I can enjoy this wedding.

23 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, you sound more than a little annoyed... But why? You've know this stuff for a long time! Just call your brother & the SIL (you really don't like), and give them an out. No harm, no foul, and your the better person for it. Let it go and enjoy the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that you could vent and let it go. Some people are very insecure. Perhaps someday he will regret what he has missed but either way, you are ahead for letting it go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your first commenter, give them an out. You'll have a wonderful time at the wedding without the added tension. Not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Brighid is right. If they feel that way, let them stay home.

    Your brother needs to grow a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No point brow beating someone to come to this happy event. If you do manage to shame them into coming they'll merely minimize everyone else's good time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your first commentor gave good advice. Reluctance is usually caused by fear. it's not something you can fix. Let it go and let them feel OK about it. It will make everyone happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is sad! I hope at least he can make it for your son's sake.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep. I think there is one in every family, Tabor. Agoraphobia of a sorts?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do believe there must be one in every family. Now that it is out of your system, just enjoy those who gladly choose to join you and have a wonderful time. It's all about the bride and groom for that wedding day. They will have other things to be thinking about and won't really miss an absent uncle in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An uncle ended up getting married the same weekend as my brother, making it impossible for my Grandfather to attend my brother's wedding. It was the woman he was marrying who didn't like the idea of not being the center of attention, and it stayed that way through the whole marriage.

    It used to leave me feeling sorry for my uncle, until i realized he knew and signed up for the trip. So did your brother, and i hope he comes to the wedding with or without her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The wedding will be lovely..with or without your brother being there. It's too bad that he will miss out on seeing his extended family but at least, the rest of you can enjoy the festivities...Maybe he will send a bigger and better wedding gift instead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You might want to suggest that if they can't find a dog sitter, that you hope at least one of them can come. That will make it as accommodating as possible for them but if they don't want to be there.. try to let it go. It's their issue. And your son's wedding will be wonderful with or without them. I'm sorry for the conflict though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Conflict is no good for you before such a big event in your life. Forget and forgive if you can - you will have no time to coddle them if they do come!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with Hilary - giving them that particular out gives you an outlet for your frustrations and him an excuse to leave her behind without guilt... hope it all works out. It's so hard to order your emotions, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made a fuss because my sister on the other side of the country didn't come to a family wedding. I wish I hadn't because my fuss caused stress for everyone at the time. never to repeat a mistake, For my daughters wedding last month, sis showed up with husband, sons and all their girlfriends. At $100 or more per plate, they were all well served. Careful what you ask for!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mother used to joke that funerals are much more joyous occasions for families than weddings.
    Anyway, let not resentments spoil the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Family!" indeed! It's not easy. But I must agree with much of the above, just let it go and enjoy the festivities. It is a little sad and irritating to have family members that don't mesh with our plans, but don't internalize that. It's not yours to own. Just love the part you can and release the part that doesn't fit.

    Blessings and happiness to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ugh i would be disappointed as well...and to find out on FB as well...as if it did not mean enough to talk directly...rather a twist in the gut

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did he have a suit for the first wedding? I know that is not the point but I was just curious. It would be nice if he could come on his own if his wife doesn't want to. Personally I think wedding are a good opportunity to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some people also have such severe anxiety at making conversation or being around groups of people. It goes beyond shyness. Some people would just rather ignore it all together.

    For years my oldest brother avoided any and all family gatherings. We hardly EVER saw him and we all live in the same city. Slowly, slowly he started joining in and now he is at every function. Sometimes his wife comes along and other times she stays home. We've all just learned that that is who they are and if they are comfortable joining us they are more than welcome.

    You can't change them.

    I'm glad you were able to vent to us and get it all out. That certainly does help. Now enjoy that wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some people also have such severe anxiety at making conversation or being around groups of people. It goes beyond shyness. Some people would just rather ignore it all together.

    For years my oldest brother avoided any and all family gatherings. We hardly EVER saw him and we all live in the same city. Slowly, slowly he started joining in and now he is at every function. Sometimes his wife comes along and other times she stays home. We've all just learned that that is who they are and if they are comfortable joining us they are more than welcome.

    You can't change them.

    I'm glad you were able to vent to us and get it all out. That certainly does help. Now enjoy that wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  22. As I hear young people nowadays saying, "OH MY GOD!"

    I know this is your rant, but he sure does scare the hell out of me thinking that some day I will have to deal with more weddings and inlaws. Actually, the blood family is often the villain.

    It was a good rant; kinda funny, too. You could have been talking about some of my relatives.

    It'll all be good. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  23. meant to say "it" sure does...

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.