Monday, June 10, 2013

Asian Woods

Many of my readers were more impressed with my rattan furniture than any of the hours and hours (and hours) of work I completed.  I guess some were speechless, others felt guilty, and the rest of you just ignore a braggart.

Therefore, I thought I would discuss my rattan.  First, rattan is a type of solid vine and wicker is type of weave that can use any number of materials such as rattan, bamboo, willow, rush, etc.  Rattan is the most sturdy as it is solid core and related to the palm tree.  It grows straight up and then winds down and around for a loooong way.  My furniture came from the time I lived in Indonesia.  I cannot remember how much it cost, but I know it would cost a lot more to purchase it in this country today.  Hubby's employer at the time, the State Department, shipped it back for free as part of our household goods.



It is best used indoors, and for a number of years I had a sunroom, where it was used.  For the last five years it has been under this deck of my new house.  The deck leaks to this patio below in spite of the protection.  Therefore, I try to keep the rattan sheltered in the winter with a plastic cover and make sure I paint it every few years.  It is still in pretty good shape with only a few places where the rattan has started to crack although I have owned and used it for over 20 years.



Yes, I used a spray can to paint it as Peruby suggested.  It took 7 or 8 cans and I had to spray two coats as well as a touch up after turning the furniture upside down and seeing places that I missed.  My fingers were stiff!!



I bought two cheap (very cheap) plastic chairs at the hardware store that sort of compliment the color and help add more seating.  I say they are cheap both in structure and price, because they are not all that solid when you sit on them in spite of their appearance and I will have to lock them down if a hurricane comes this way.  Behind is an Asian-look water fountain and on the other side of the steps toward the far back is my black bamboo that I planted years ago and must keep in place each year.  It does not spread like crazy as real bamboo does, so just a spring cut back seems to work although the early spring growth can dust your face with rain dew when you descend the stairs.  I can cut away some of the inner bamboo once it turns black and it makes an attractive support structure for plants.



Yes I changed the color of the outdoor rug because that red rug was falling apart...and I have company coming after all.  The contrast color is red, because my window trim is deep red all around the house and when the furniture was white, that was cool.  We will see how long I like this spring Christmas theme.


19 comments:

  1. Looks like bh&g! Love the rattan. I have had two chairs for a million years and paint them at whim. They are currently a slate gray, but they have past lives in every color of the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your outdoor setup is so cute. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful patio! Love the rattan furniture too!
    Really you did a good job here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your outdoor setting and would love to spend time there. You have a great eye for decorating and design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading your last post, I want to just sit in your pretty green outdoor furniture and rest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Add a few pots of white daisy's or Marguerites for contrast. :)

    It looks flat out lovely. Bravo to you for all your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous...all of it! Your gardens and your furniture choices. Great job
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hm, i wonder how such furniture would stand up to my kids? It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted
    and maybe did not push the right button.
    Love this green color
    everything is beautiful
    bought one of those really cheap chairs in a wonderful blue..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that rug!! Also love the green color of your rattan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:49 AM

    I've always loved rattan and hoped someday to own one of those old wicker rockers. I've kind of gotten over it now, but I still think it's beautiful! Love the green!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful seating area...I love the green......maybe pillows with mostly green and just touches of red will make it less Christmasy if you don't like the solid color contrasts...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are reminding me that house guests loom and I must abandon my customary sloth and get ready for their visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely furniture, and green everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i really like the green color...though i imagine that did wear your finger out...ha...that fountain is cool too...relaxing to listen to as you sit...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! It is really gorgeous! You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read your last post before this one and you will see by the comment that as nice as your furniture is, your energy and determination impressed me more. :)

    However, your rattan IS very lovely. Thanks for the explanation of what rattan is and what wicker is. I don't think I've ever thought about it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, thanks for giving me a good laugh with your comment on my latest post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want that furniture, it’s very beautiful. so elegant.
    I am green with envy.

    I love your seating area, it’s classy and posh!
    Mine is just scruffy and tacky and grubby, like most things in England.

    Now I’m the envious one.

    I used to have black bamboo, but when I cut it down it disappeared. Can’t say I’m sorry. It was spreading.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.