Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Treatment

I had absolutely no idea what to expect upon getting a facial.  I did know that I would have to remove my glasses and earrings, but when the young lady took me to the dressing room and told me to take everything off down to the waist and wrap a towel under my arms when I emerged, I realized this was going to be a much more intimate experience than I had anticipated.   My purse and watch and jewelry went into a locker with the key on a cord given to me to wear around my wrist. 

When I entered the room for the facial the key was placed in my bathrobe pocket as I took it off and hung it on the door.

The woman, maybe in her early 40's,  who gave me the facial was from Hungary originally (thus the European Facial ?).  We started out with a nice warm chat about paprika and getting fresh spices and other things as I nervously drove the conversation.  Eventually she got me to shut up and she had me lie down on a soft white hospital type bed.  I had neglected to put on the plastic slippers when I changed clothes so had to remove my shoes as she carefully tucked me under a warm sheet and wrapped my feet snugly.

My  hair line was wrapped with cotton and my whole head wrapped in a nice fragrant towel.  The first treatment was  a minty soap wash on my face, neck, shoulders, arms and hands!  Next was a body scrub of some type which was rubbed in and then rinsed away.  Then (since I had my eyes covered for most of this) I think they put on some kind of oatmeal mask for the face and neck and I sat under a warm steamy wand while she massaged and creamed my arms and hands before placing them in warm mittens.  She was mixing stuff behind me as I sat under this fragrant steam bath for about 10 minutes with my hands so cozy.

Then every thing was washed away once again and she applied a cold cream.  I mean a COLD cream.  I guess that is where the term comes from, because this felt like it came out of the refrigerator! 

Then came a 10 minute massage of my face with this cream.  It was really wonderful!  Firm in the beginning and ending with such a gentle touch I could not really tell when she had stopped!  I was allowed to rest for a few minutes before she once again removed all the stuff from my face with various cloths and tissues.

The next step was a little startling.  She covered my eyes in some fragrant damp tissue and then brought a bright light over my face and I began to feel little stings.  I realized after a time that she was squeezing my black/white heads with some tool and cleaning all of my pores.  It was not the most pleasant experience, but I have a high pain threshold, so sat back and endured and felt just a little embarrassed...I mean, how much money would they have to pay you to squeeze someones pimples?

Then there was one last wash with something else with a more flowery fragrance and a gentle pat dry and I was done!  I did not get a chance during that day or the next day to look closely at my skin, but I did feel really clean and refreshed and I would do it again if I was not so cheap!

My daughter had finished just a minute or two before me, so we were completely in sync to head out for the rest of our day.

14 comments:

  1. The first time I ever got a facial I was surprised. My experience was just like yours and I was maybe just a little embarrassed. But now, I get a facial maybe once a year sometimes twice. I've been going to the same lady for 10 years because I am comfortable with her. I usually get microdermabrasion + facial + eyebrow was at same visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love facials and haven't had one now for years but like massages, they are food for the soul-- relaxing, decadent and fun. I also like the microdermabrasions and photoderm which has some pain attacked but is so good for the skin. I think it's been five years since my last of any of it-- I need to go do it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can handle that!

    Something that I don't care to repeat was being showered by the "spa bath lady" after I had my whirlpool bath.

    The other women who had this complimentary experience (not at the same time) and I had big fun at dinner as we talked about our surprise shower - standing completely naked while being hosed down. I think it was a "Swedish something or another..." LOL One day this may be a blog post. Thanks? for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand that some men enjoy facials but I've never had one. I did recently experience my first massage and it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someday i have to try this. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not for me but sounds like you adapted very well. I'm not much on strangers touching me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. Don't know if I would enjoy that as much as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had a facial--too cheap. I can after all wash my own face. But every now and then it is really nice to have a pampering. I always pick a massage or a pedicure though. I like a manicure for the hand softening aspect, but then I have to immediately take off the polish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have only ever had one massage.. no facials, no manicure, no pedi.. etc. I might just have to try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love facials and foot massages, and I think when you have either one, a full massage is completely unnecessary. Either is as relaxing as a full massage would be. I once had a "Persian Paraffin" facial at a resort in Carlsbad, CA. It was Heaven on a table and I would do it again in a minute if I could get there. In this one, your face and hands are massaged and then overlaid with the warm paraffin. They drape hot towels on your face and the electric mittens on your hands. Suffice it to say I did not want to get off the table, for fear my legs had turned to jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy facials, not so much the message. There really isn't anywhere close that does them, darn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, shoot, I think I'd squeeze pimples for free. I'd PAY to peel off someone's sunburn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow...bet that felt so good when done eh...a face massage...sigh...that would be awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:02 PM

    Sounds just perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.