Sunday, October 14, 2012

Seven Sunday Recalls Because It is All I Have




1.  Hubby and I were watching the "Barefoot Contessa" which is a cooking show in the United States.  I have not decided that I watch her because of her good and delicious recipes  or because the intermission is shots of her lovely Connecticut gardens accompanied by some nice jazz.  Anyway this week it was boned leg of lamb.  She lifts out the largest cut of meat I have ever seen and I just had to comment, "That is not a leg of lamb...that is a leg of sheep!" 

2.  During a grocery shopping trip we noticed a grenade decal on the back window of an automobile.  Hubby commented on it.  I explained that it was probably seen by some folks as a tool just as we would look at a decal of a garden spade.  We do live in a military area and that driver may have just returned from Afghanistan where weapons are common and a daily part of life.

3,  I have owned my new car about 5 days and driven only once more since getting it home.  I really like it, but I am not in love with new cars and do not create errands to run just to get it out of the garage.

4,  I learned that  new cars have thick sun visors.  My garage door opener and deer gate opener do not clip over the visor very well. As a matter of fact, my garage door opener fell in my lap while making a turn the other day which was an unexpected startle.  I have to find an auto store to buy a new visor container.

5.  I hate more when I lose a thought than when I lose money!  Losing less money and more thoughts these days.

6.  I invited two Mormon Bishops for an oyster lunch this past week.  One is a very good and old friend, a former Green Beret and parachute jumper now in his early 70's and the kindest most gentle old soul.  No, we did not talk politics or religion.  It never ceases to catch me up short to find the bravest and most dangerous men are very pure old souls deep inside.

7,  I see Halloween and Christmas decorations in the stores everywhere.  Both have become such terribly commercial holidays.  While I am having fun creating photographic Halloween cards, my favorite holiday is still Thanksgiving which is so often overlooked, but has a message that resonates with me.

(The photo has nothing to do with this post.  Just wanted to show how rich people can grandfather in stuff and then totally rebuild it.)

19 comments:

  1. Seven is a good number. I haven't had lamb in a long, long time as it's so expensive. If I was rich enough to re-purpose a boat dock, I'd buy lamb instead...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thoughts, on some lovely little moments of daily life. I'm going to be in the US for Hallowe'en and Thanksgiving this year - for the first time! So it will be very interesting to see how your holidays differ from ours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ina never does anything in a small way does she?
    I like Thanksgiving as well. My husband is working on his year-long lawn ornamentation concept--3 wisemen blow ups, black cats with fake bunny ears, large cauldron with flags poking out, etc. If he ever goes ahead with this, I am sure he will make a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know many stopped watch the Barefoot Contessa due to a charity event she couldnt attend. These are still People, with Lives and once they are paid to do their Shows, what they do with the rest of their time , should be their choice. Just my opinion of course.. I like Ida and the scenery, as you mentioned.
    I agree with Pauline. 7 is an excellent number in fact I happen to be a 7 :)

    ALL holidays are far too commercial. The overspending on gifts and decor takes many folks years and years to pay off. I just dont get it really.

    I adore thanksgiving. The food, the folks and the parade. I like to write down all the things I give Extra thanks for each year and then look back on those later.
    thanks for a great post. its always interesting reading here.
    Happy Sunday to Ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In our country, only a few stores sell Halloween stuff because it's not that popular here. All display Christmas decors, though.

    Thanksgiving. That's something I only see in movies. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Number 6 resonates with me. Some of the strongest and bravest people are the most gentle. They are the true definition of "meek," power under control.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are words of wisdom in this post. I think that is what you are finding in the souls of those two old men. they have lived much and become very wise. Oh, that we all could.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this: " It never ceases to catch me up short to find the bravest and most dangerous men are very pure old souls deep inside." Over the years I have learned this about my husband and his military associates who have seen the worst of times, yet maintain gentle souls. So many people don't get that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you about #7: these holidays ARE becoming too commercial. Having said this, I do think it's a sign of age when people like you and me comment on this commercialization. I mean, when I was a kid holidays couldn't be commercial enough!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not much of a lamb fan - and my husband wouldn't eat oysters. The boat dock is a bit of overkill, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. oyster lunch...i will come over for that...smiles....nice on the new car...and only use it when you have to is the way i see it...ugh ont he garage door thing not fitting...a grenade bumper sticker....guess they could be a green day fan as well...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes we have a rich person's "remodel" going on in our neighborhood. It looked OK until they added some silly architectural frills.
    And what part of this country is NOT militarized?
    When I walked into Home Depot the other day, I was practically blinded by the Xmas display.
    Anyhow, have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:45 PM

    Love that shot! And yes, I hate it when Christmas stuff gets into the shops too early.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought you were going to say that you watch the Barefoot Contessa, also, because of the soothing sound of her voice. I listen to her a couple minutes for that reason. :)

    I keep my garage door opener on the visor on the passenger side.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fascinating thoughts and observations. A delight to read. Roll on Christmas - but not too quickly! We too have the goodies appearing - along with the hot cross buns!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All you have is another fun n original list?
    We should all be able to afford huge hunks of meat, but if it costs more than $3 these days, I don't buy it. I remember my Mother used to have roasts n dinners with both ham n turkey on the table. I don't know how she'd react to $40 roast beefs at the market... I can't afford hamburgers! I'm usually doing meatless these days.
    It's okay not to joyride the new car, but I prob would- to get more used to it.
    I hate when items get moved because I only remember the old spot! I could not find the lint brush today... easier to buy a new one!
    Thanksgiving is always full of missed people for me now. Bdays right about then, my Grandfather, Mom n my Aunt were lost then different years. Usually I have to work n don't even get a dinner. This year it's Day Off n I have no where to go yet. No plans for Halloween either. I do love designing cards- Bet you're good at it too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks a little top heavy in a McMansion sort of way.

    Nice stream of consciousness catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As you know, I am all about Thanksgiving Coming First. Boycott Target!!! I saw their first Christmas ad, for goodness' sakes, last night on TV. Boooooooo!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.