Sunday, September 23, 2012

Mad Dogs and Englishmen

The island of Aruba is hot, hot, hot.  And I do not say that because of the effect of the voluptuous body below in the string bikini.  (I thought I had excluded her from the serenity of this lovely pocket beach.)  Throughout the afternoon, as we walked back from swims in the water, every single person was talking about how cheeky she was...and much to my reader's disappointment I did not get a photo of her facing sea!


Okay, enough!  With the magic of photo-shopping, lets remove her from the picture, shall we.?


Does it still look hot?  No?  Well it was!  It was so hot, that while we could walk on the sand barefoot, we went directly from the water to lie in the shade of the Palapas, palm frond covered tables, each and every time.  Only mad dogs, Englishmen and ladies in string bikinis would lay out in the noon day sun.  Below are my fair haired son and future daughter-in-law shade bathing, both with enough Irish fair skin to practice safe sunning.


The difficulty for photographers, such as myself, is the hot flat sun.  Everything is over-lighted within an hour of sunrise, and each photo tends to lose any depth and colors are washed out unless the lighting levels are changed later by software.  Thus my eye was drawn to shadows in taking photos.


This is an early morning photo from our east facing balcony.  I never saw anyone on any of the other balconies the whole time we were there.  Of course our free condo balcony did face the parking lot!



We spent a good deal of our time seeking the shade of trees and buildings and yet I still came back with a really good tan.  Go figure.  The other thing that would draw my eye was the shadows beneath large cactus on hikes.  Sort of a tempting/not-so-tempting approach to sitting in the shade.

The other respite that was welcome was spelunking.  Aruba has a number of caves.

 
It is interesting to see how many people while afraid of the cave residents (rattlesnakes and bats) did not mind "hanging out" in the cool shade for a while.  On the other hand, I tend to neither fear nor want to cuddle with either.


15 comments:

  1. I do not like caves :)
    Remember sand in Jamica was so hot in August you could not walk in bare feet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wonderful photographs have gotten me as close as I want to be. Do not like extreme heat or bikini clad persons, or rattlesnakes and certainly not bats. So happy for you guys though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures make Aruba look better than I remember it. And yes, so very hot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The work you did with shadows is excellent. Of all your shots they were my favorite. Bats are okay ~ snakes NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty beach colors. even without the bikini girl. my Parents vacationed in Aruba years ago. They played alot of cards they said- n had to wear hats.
    Alot of graphic quality in the pics at least!
    Great bat close-up! They don't bother me.
    You are so fortunate to have such adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful beach!!
    And the pic of the bat...so cool!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about getting good pix in flat noonday light. I like these pix though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic holiday, lucky lady!

    I loe the picture of the balcony. That's good enough to become a postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The balcony arches picture is good enough to hang anywhere, as is the large cactus tree pict. I've been hunting for an affordable bright light filter for my camera. I had them years ago and would have to relearn how to use them I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, the sun does wash things out, but you caught the moments perfectly. Wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:28 AM

    Oh, Aruba looks fabulous! Love your shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i quite like the shot through all the doorways. i'm feeling a bit cold this morning so a shot of virtual heat was nice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what you mean about the glaring sun thwarted good photos, but the ones you took of the beach scene came out great. I loved them all, really and am only a little bit jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's too hot for me, just looking at the pics! Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:20 PM

    That water is lovely. I would never guess from the photo that the air was hot. When do most people go to the beach in that kind of weather?

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.