Thursday, August 16, 2012

That Talk We All Avoid

My 7-year-old grandson is visiting us this week. He had a free week from his summer schedule and we are thrilled to be able to share this time with him. Seven is a magical age. I had forgotten how wonderful it is to pal around with a seven-year-old! There are a few things we have to push him to do and others which we let him opt out of as his days are super scheduled most times. This generation rarely has time to do nothing. We give him that and unlike his sister, who has to be endlessly entertained, he can amuse himself for hours with a Lego kit or a craft project.


We have a local sculpture garden (out here in the boonies) and they have an annual "Fairies in the Garden" exhibit. They make it fun for the kids by creating puzzles and mazes along with the fairy houses.


I took him once again this year, because I know he soon will be too old for such silly stuff and I will be too old for the more exciting stuff he will want to do.  ( I have little desire to shoot down a zipline.)


He is now of an age where he notices more things in this sculpture garden beyond the fairy houses, and that has led to greater discussions...such as "What is a torso?"  and comments such as, "She looks scary without her arms, don't you think?"  This sculpture below almost led to another whole new discussion for which I had not prepared.  Grannies, beware!


I love how intrigued he is by this magical girl in pigtails.

18 comments:

  1. Very handsome grandson, Tabor. Yes, he intrigued in the last photograph. I also notice he is keeping his hands behind his back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie he is!! Enjoy!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Award winning post and photographs! Oh that last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! He sounds like Bryce and the fun and conversations we have together, also the lego playing for hours.

    I did get your comment on the Kaine videos but I posted another more in-depth on his visit, which was the one I was referring to today. http://www.looseleafnotes.com/wp/2012/08/its-great-to-be-back-in-floyd/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh, heh. I know just what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful to show art to children and have them love it. The world is so new to them and a granny can get a glimpse of that new world through the eyes of a beautiful grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last black and white photograph is priceless. You can only wonder what he's thinking. How wise of you to understand the brevity of this special time you share with him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful child. He starts my morning with a smile. Yes, my youngest grandchild is really a teenager, and I run from teens even those in second grade.

    Were you able to answer his questions? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing quite like seeing a nude statue at that age. So many questions, so many interesting feelings...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your last comment about your cutie grandson reminded me of the joke of the little boy asking his grandfather where he came from. Gulping, the grandfather went into his birds and bees lecture. After he was finished the little boy said, "I just wondered because Phillip came from Philadelphia."

    ReplyDelete
  11. These times are so precious.
    Enjoy...
    Love the last image.
    I have a granddaughter just turned 7 and I love spending time with her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That photo is priceless and I hope you enlarge it and frame it to keep forever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I prob would've made the tall galleon a pirate ship- He can paint!
    Nifty exhibit pics.
    I have made life-size de-headed, de-armed, n de-legged torsos my self... yep scary. Then there's the disembodied parts... I did alot of clay modeling n plaster casting in college. My grandkids haven't seen all my naked ladies yet...
    I love doing sculpture, n seeing it too. He's got an aptitude for it I think-

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I'm finding too that my grandchildren enjoy unstructured days. They can play for hours with simple media like sand and water.
    Nice looking young man, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I am too old for the exciting things my kids might want to do too. Number one on that list is a roller coaster. Eek! I can't believe how quickly time has gone by. I remember when he was born!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, to be as active with grandchildren as I could be with my own children. That's the price for marrying in my late twenties, then waiting even longer to have children. Then, those children waited to wed, and have children -- I'll be lucky to see them grow to adulthood.

    Enjoy yours -- handsome young man!
    This day and age he may well have had many of those questions already answered that you thought he might ask.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that last image is just priceless! Your grandson is adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.