Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Small Town Politics

I volunteer at a local museum.  It is small and while important to both the state and county, it has a tenuous State budget and survives greatly with volunteer efforts and donations and fund raising activities.  The 'new' director has been a real force for change in a good way.  Unfortunately, the museum is tucked away on a small spit of land near the shore and tucked between private homes.  When it was built years ago it was not cheek to jowl with the homeowners, but waterfront property is always in demand.  A neighbor, who happens to have been a former state official and county official, has spent much of his time making lives difficult for the museum staff and volunteers.  Using his power he filed a complaint with the county commissioners (some old buddies) that over two dozen pine trees on the museum grounds needed to be removed as they were dropping needles on his lawn and clogging the gutters to a garage...built after the trees were planted.  There is a long and unbelievable series of events that led up to this with the museum making every effort to accommodate the requests of this idiot.  As you can see, these trees have been here a long time.



I live in an environmental state where cutting of trees, especially near the water, is rarely granted.  A dead tree or dangerous tree might be given approval for removal, but over two dozen trees...on another's property...never would happen.  I will not go into details about why removal of trees is not good, but trust me, you want to keep as many trees as possible on this planet.  Well, our county commissioners not only granted this permission and pushed the permit office to move the paperwork along, but they had the audacity to require the museum to pay for the 20 to 30 thousand dollars in cost!  Since the museum depends on these commissioners for budget approval, it was in a difficult spot.

Many of us were concerned about this blatant abuse of power and finally we went to several environmental groups as well as wrote and emailed the Commissioners' offices for an explanation.

I was one of the first emails sent to request politely how this approval came about.  I mentioned my strong environmental concerns and how I had worked hard to keep my shoreline as natural as possible.  I also asked that since my tax money was going to pay for this, why was there not a public hearing?  One of the Commissioners responded almost immediately to my email:

"There is somebody passing along an incomplete story who does not have all their facts correct. May I suggest you go back to them and request they get the complete story before they spread stories?"  Sent from my iPad

This is jaw-dropping.  An elected official indicating that I go find out the correct facts for myself!  And to go back to the original source.  Needless to say we had gotten a response from the county permit office AND the staff of the museum both officially stating that a permit had been granted (reluctantly) to remove these trees at the request of the Commissioners' Office.  I researched this prior to my email even being sent.  I was amazed that an elected official could be so rude and cavalier and actually lie!  Boy am I naive.  He added in a second email that he was sure a formal report would be forthcoming...in other words 'Don't hold you breath, you stupid tree-hugger."

Well, as the day (less than 24 hours), passed, these turkeys in office had to back off on the whole thing and the museum was going to be contacted officially this week to learn that no trees would be required to be removed!  I am guessing they were inundated with emails and realized they could not justify this cronyism.

I asked my co-volunteers how this idiot got into office and was told that our local Tea Party had worked hard for his election.  Golly, golly am I naive.  I keep forgetting that living in a 'good-old-boy' county is really scary and that I should read the minutes of meetings more closely!

I am guessing since I am not a religious person, if God is on the side of the religious right, He may punish me with a hurricane this year or next that will remove all of these trees in one fell swoop...shallow rooted as they are!

17 comments:

  1. You are stating exactly what I have tried to say but with less of an example. The right wing has said local politics is how choices should be made. They don't 'get' the corruption in small towns and how they get things through like this with nobody knowing. Kudos that you guys got this stopped. One small victory for mankind and the trees ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always shocking to see the cronyism in politics, but it's always present on all levels. I'm glad your museum won one for our side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I ever mention that I really hate politics. I am truly so very sorry about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stories with happy endings. We had a scandal here in Portland where a row of beautiful old trees were topped just so a billboard would be more visible. People rallied to boycott the product advertised on the billboard, but of course it was too late to save those trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Politics as usual. I often wonder if it is that a little bit of power corrupts or only the corrupt go into politics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy ending . . . after all these years I still believe good political change radiates in circles, like skipping stones across a pond, from the local level to the powers that be . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Small town, big town... City, county, state, doesn't matter the politics through out this great nation is in direct opposition to what I was raised to believe. So glad to hear the little museum by the shore won this round!

    ReplyDelete
  9. reading your post made my blood boil on behalf of the Environment.

    I didnt get too excited about the latest space issue and landing on mars once I realized it wasnt large enough to put all the repubs on and leave it there for a 200 year study..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the museum and its supporters keep a sharp eye on those trees from now on. These people sound as if they don't have many morals or scruples about their tactics. I am so glad you won the fight (first round, anyhow.)

    Isn't it odd how the tea party manages to be on the immoral side of every single issue and incident?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scary for sure!!
    Glad the trees remain!!
    Hugs
    SUeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you speaking up! I'd be so PO'd at those trees getting cut to convenience a neighbor's clean-up! Unbelievable-
    Of course I'm also a crazy tree-hugger. Can't snap fingers n expect to regrow a 100 yr old tree again! For one thing, the conditions allowing it to grow healthy no longer exist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:57 AM

    Please update this posting to let us know when/if it becomes official that the museum need not remove the trees. Is there any legal action that you can take to get a judgement against the "neighbor" for a frivolous action that cost the museum time/effort/perhaps money? (I know, I know, I hate people who sue over the smallest thing; but, one has to put a stop to such overt agression, sometimes. *sigh*)
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Lord. We have troubles enough around here without having to deal with stealth Tea Party members.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Unfortunately, those in political office do not have to go through the rigorous multi-step interview process that most people must endure these days in order to be hired. I feel your frustration way up here! And if you want a friend to hug trees with, I'm your gal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank goodness that nonsense was blocked.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.