Friday, July 27, 2012

Groaning

I have nothing to write really.  Friko would like something humorous to read, as would many bloggers, because life just seems a little too depressing right now.  But I cannot write humor at will.  My mood has a little to do with an acquaintance who's daughter fell to her death from the roof of a building in New York recently.  It was accidental as she was talking on the phone.  I also lost a distant friend who died of cancer within weeks of symptoms after a return from a vacation to Hawaii.  I was not close to either of these people which certainly does not diminish the importance of their lives in anyway nor keep their family from my thoughts.

I read on the Internet where global climate change has increased the intensity of the storms and climate scientists are now seeing moisture thrown up 60,000 feet from these storms which is blowing holes in the ozone layer of our atmosphere.  Extremely dangerous to our health.  A reality that is inconvenient to those who think it is God's will.  I think this God threw up his hands long ago and is now overseeing another planet.

I also read where climate change is causing more dangerous anomalies and  "If global warming approaches 3°C by the end of the century, it is estimated that 21-52% of the species on Earth will be committed to extinction (3). "   If you love watching your head explode over multiple graphs with bad news, read the above article from the Columbia University Earth Institute.  If not, just take my word for it...we are in deep doo-doo.

I cannot watch TV because both Presidential candidates realize that negative ads are much better than actually focusing on solutions to problems. Of course, if Obama focuses on the accomplishments he made in spite of a constipated Congress, he is accused of bragging in dire times.  And facts be damned.

The Internet is filled with discussions about schizophrenia and automatic weapons with neither side even bringing forth ideas of worth.  Banning automatic weapons...really??

There is a very good chance that food next year will cost 5% more due to the global drought.  Since I need food more than Television, I called Comcast and asked them to drop all my premium channels immediately and the sports package that my SOL added over a year ago.  (He had to watch games while he visited!)  I saved over $54.00 a month with that little move.  You can close you mouth before you catch a fly. 

On a lesser note, I planted sunflower seeds not once, but twice this summer, and lost 99% to deer, ground hogs, rabbits, and a tiny cutworm that I found at the bottom of one seedling tray.  I gave up.  No sunshiny yellow happy faces to improve my mood in the simmering days of summer.

Yes I could focus on all my many, many blessings...but right now I want to moan and groan...so shoot me.

Peace.

New Hampshire baby waterfall

20 comments:

  1. I think there are times we should feel free to whine, complain and gripe. Good friends let us do it-- so long as we don't let it go on to the point of damaging all else in our lives. It is a depressing time, I think, for us all. Ignoring what is happening might seem to help-- for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am tending to agree with you. I seldom watch the news because it is just too depressing, as are the political ads.

    I saw an article about the ozone depletion and while I won't be around to suffer the effects, I hate to think what it will do to my grandchildren.

    Luckily, we are at the beach for 4 days and don't have to see any of it. I'd much rather watch the ocean!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet, Tabor. I’ve watched you long enough to know you will dig deep and come out of your funk (boy, do you have to type that one carefully) in your own good time. ‘Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop watching the news immediately. It's too much terrible stuff to be taking in steady doses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have read Barbara Ehrenreich's Brightsided. Confronting and dealing with reality is what keeps me going.
    Be a happy warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerry is offering good advice. Bad things are happening in all of the corners of the world, and always have, but now we have twenty-four hour news channels flooding our minds with all this misery. Spending time helping neighbors and friends is a good antidote to the ills of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hattie and Stephen, I agree, but I also do not like putting my head in the sand if I can lobby with my small voice for change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just think of the smiles you put on the faces of the deer, ground hogs, rabbits, and tiny cutworm:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tabor,I am kind of there with you.
    But hanging on for dear life.
    Nothing is the same and will not share anymore.
    Take care
    we will be fine...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband and I also just took a look at our cable bill and then at the channels that we actually watch. We are paying way too much for something we barely use. We are making the change to basic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I LOVE a good rant! It makes me smile!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was really refreshing to read: no false cheerfulness, no Pollyannaish cliches. Things really do seem to be going to the dogs. We turned off TV altogether last year and haven't missed it at all. We get CD's of stuff we really want to see. And when we hear or read about bad things that will happen before the end of the century we look at each other and say, "Well, we won't be here to see it." All we can do in the meantime is live the best way we can in a world that is still beautiful and hope our grandchildren will have enough sense to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I DO write a humor blog, and climate change has me so despondent I can barely function sometimes. I'm working on a piece about it and trying to keep the humor. Talk about being pulled in two directions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear ya! I haven't had a TV in many years but do watch some shows and news on the computer, listen to NPR and try not to worry about what I can't change. I fear for our grandchildren, again I can't change much. I can try to live my life in peace and promote peace and globally intelligent choices where I can, not much but at least I try not to add to others problems. (I talk big. I lay awake last night for a few hours feeling bummed about my and the planet's woes.) Returning head to sand/music/garden/art/dogs/friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. RYN RMRant: Appliances. You can see me waving my hands in disgust. My 1938 mixer still works well as does my 1940 toaster. Those are a few encouraging words.

    My rant was intensified by GM's advertisement last night saying that If you buy a new GM product, we will take care of your vehicle for the rest of it's life. We did buy Grumpy new, and now we cannot get parts. I'm more than grumpy.

    So to ignore all that, G and I are off to a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Writing is about expressing oneself so if you only wrote bright and cheery posts, then we wouldn't get to know some of the stuff that makes you who you are. I've been on a slightly negative train lately myself. Now I know I'm in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Silence about such matters is akin to tacit agreement. The Lorax should be required reading/viewing for all those who go for BIG without giving it a second thought and for all those whose only thought it is... keep shouting, Tabor!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it's ever so easy to feel overwhelmed with all the uncertainty and negative events in the world. I tune out much of the negativity, but then I'm not living in a battleground state abounding with negative ads. I lost my TV picture Fri. so have decided to experiment without the tube for a while -- have antenna TV so cable or satellite never an issue, but may have to accept it in the future.

    Can appreciate how the death of friends, acquaintances impacts ones state of mind, especially since when we reach our older age the numbers of those about whom we care leave this life. I've become even more sensitive to these losses since my husband's death, and even more so when those younger than me die for reasons that might be considered unintentional and/or accidental. Our challenge is to cope with these events and honor them by making the most of our lives as I think they would wish for us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The deaths of people we know is enough to take us over the edge sometimes. Add to that the precarious state of our world, and, well... your groaning is understood.

    It own't last. You'll have your camera out soon and shoot some of the beauty of our world. It counts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" movie with the glaciers gone n rising CO2 levels convinced me about DooDoo a decade ago.
    I also learned in Earth Science 101 we can expect 90% of all animal species to be gone before 2100, with only the "Weed species" like sparrows, seagulls, rodents, roaches, ect surviving due to loss of habitat caused by human's popluation growth, plus green house. Joy!- sharks n alligators are weeds too... why some things survive a thousand years-

    Good thing I'll be gone by then, too bad for the grandkids!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.