Saturday, October 08, 2011

Three Day Weekend

What do you do on a three day weekend?  Plan a BBQ with friends?  Take in dinner and movie with your love?  Sleep?  Finish most of the stuff on that to-do list?  Chauffeur children hither and yon to their well-programmed activities?  Hit the outlet mall and spend a small fortune?  Volunteer at the fair?  Finish reading that best seller and watch fall creep in?

Well, Tabor is going into the city.  She will probably not shop nor visit the museums, although both of those might be fun activities since Tabor lives in the remote rural woods.  She will pick up her jet-lagged husband from the airport and take him to her empty daughter's empty house (they are visiting friends), and watch him fight the sleep genie for hours before he becomes a mummy in the guest bedroom not to be heard from for hours.  She will get him up around dinner and have him take her out to a nearby restaurant and she will listen to him tell her how successful the trip was.

That night he will be restless and by morning they will both try to plan some activity for the early part of the Sunday knowing full well that jet-lag will rear its sleepy head by early afternoon once again.  Tabor will then heat her homemade chili and cornbread and wait for her children and grandchildren to return to their house and enjoy having them, if only briefly, all together for dinner.

The following Monday holiday she will be babysitting all three little ones...a mind boggling, exhausting challenge as the littlest one now CRAWLS!  Hubby will pretend he is helping.  Then late in the day after the grandchildren's parents arrive home from work she and hubby will escape to the house in the woods and let them worry about their own dinner for a change.

What did you say you will be doing?

11 comments:

  1. Hubby will pretend he is helping. Love it. Have a great week after the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay at home, sort out a couple of freezers, walk the dog (slowly - he's getting old), have a friend come for an hour to chat, read a book, write a few letters, clear my desk, (ha !), write a chapter of my collected stories,
    cook and eat a special anniversary meal, look out of the window at a windy and chilly world, watch the leaves dance and the birds squabble over the bird table.

    Much the same as every weekend, except for the anniversary part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mostly, harrassing my daughter to finish her college application paperwork. She figures that since she's sent in the material for the one she wants, she's effectively done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even realize it was a three day weekend. That's what happens when you haven't worked in two years.

    I think you have inspired me to make some homemade chili too. That sounds really delicious and comforting. I will put that on my list for next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm retired, I don't have 3 day week-ends. Sounds like you're staying very busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olga beat me to it! I loved the phrase: "Hubby will pretend he is helping." also.

    I saw enough kids yesterday to last me quite a while. Whew! Good luck! I love chili and cornbread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chilli sounds good to me.. the whole weekend does, actually. We're doing the Thanksgiving thing with Frank's family here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Walking for exercise between the couch and the refrigerator:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Mum used to say "Absense makes the he3art grow fonder." Maybe this applies here Tabor?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess all my weekends are 3 day weekends:) I know you are pleased
    to be back in your home. It will soon be as if nothing has changed.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.