Friday, October 14, 2011

Cherry-Picken' Pain!

My mother, when she was a few years younger than I am now, was home alone most of the time since my father continued to work waiting for full social security.  He usually worked about 60 miles away from the farm.  One autumn my mother was in the process of picking cherries from our three cherry trees out back by the chicken shed.  She got a bee in her bonnet that using the ladder was not getting her high enough.  (What she was doing on a ladder on uneven ground all by herself at her age makes me shake my head?!)  Anyway her attempt to climb higher in the tree to reach the last of that red ripe fruit resulted in her taking a nasty fall.  She broke the heel of her foot upon landing, and nothing else thank goodness, and had to drag herself about 80 feet across the mowed field, over a dry irrigation ditch and over the gravel driveway into the house and eventually to the phone!  I remember her telling me this story, but I was not as impressed as I should have been at the time.  (What a little twit I was.)  I also remember her complaining at how her other remaining children, all living close but elsewhere with full-time jobs, didn't help her much.  I am sure they did as much as they could with their busy lives.  My mother also loved playing the martyr.

This incident came back to me while I was lying in bed this morning greeting a new day.

Yesterday, my husband and I using a much too small dolly were attempting to move one of those huge old fashioned television sets from the garage to the attic storage in the closet of the guest bedroom.  This old TV belongs to my son who had left it at our house along with a small collection of other furniture since he was moving into his girlfriend's tiny house a few weeks ago. Husband was above pulling the dolly and I was below holding the TV against it.  We had just reached the top step of the stairs which has a larger lip when the television flipped off the dolly platform knocking me down a few steps and then landing on my foot and lower leg mashing them against the steps as I fell back.  I held my ground fearing I might fall all the way down the stairs as this appliance rolled over me.  I managed, although in the early waves of pain. to drag my foot out from under the TV and to put the back of my shoulder against the set and scoot slowly down the stairs allowing the TV to follow against my shoulder.

Hubby could not help because he was at the top behind the dolly and it happened too fast for him to attempt anything.  I reached the bottom step and move away while the television slid to the floor taking a piece of the skin off my forearm as it did so.

I managed to limp to the nearby couch before the shock set in.  Eventually I felt waves of nausea and waves of pain and found myself involuntarily hyperventilating, until my body finally adjusted to what had happened.  After several hours of ice-on and ice-off and two Aleve, I had decided that I had not broken anything because the pain was bearable.  I was also very lucky in that I spend time, after lifting leg weights two or three times a week, stretching all of my joints including my ankles to keep me as flexible as possible.  That has given me some good resilience and bone mass.  We have talked to our doctor friend and all agree an x-ray is not necessary as my pain is easing and I can put some light weight on the foot.

Yes, we were idiots trying to get that 80 pound monstrosity up the stairs. I had told my son to just leave it in the garage since I hadn't decided where to store it, another mistake!   My husband had his adrenaline kick in and actually lifted the set and carried it upstairs by himself shortly after!  Probably another mistake but I was too busy trying to bear waves of pain to protest.

Since it was going to continue to be my lucky day, within 30 minutes the TV news stations were warning of tornadoes and major storms moving into our area and showing a lovely home missing its roof just about 200 miles to the south of us.  No way I was moving to the basement!  Luckily the storm missed us.

This morning my left ankle is now twice the size of my right ankle, but the religious application of ice every 20 minutes today, should continue to help keep the swelling at bay.  I am told that the swelling caused by fluids causes the majority of the pain.  The ankle does not appear black and blue which means little blood loss inside, another plus.

Lots of time to write a long post on this laptop but no way to search for an appropriate accompanying photo as they are on the other PC.  Of course, today the sun is brilliant and the angles are perfect for some photography.  Wouldn't you know it?  Then again, I could take a photo of my ankle....Nah!

22 comments:

  1. Oh, My, I am so very sorry. I could suggest I'd run right over with our refrigerator dolly, but I don't think that idea will fly. I broke my leg one year in my fifties...that right leg, of course, and I do so understand how you are feeling right now. Long distance hugs and sympathy from here. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a catalogue of horrible events. You sound much braver than I would have been, and you do inspire me to do some weight training to get fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigod, those big old TV's are a menace. Sending you lots of healing thoughts and trying not to think about what else could have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there, moving something with my son that I had no business moving, it started to faaaaaall, and my lower leg got the full impact. It is now a year and the soft tissue is just healing-but the good part is, no fractures. I know how it happened with you, good idea at the time, let's get it done. I don't know what is worse, aging or believing that we are aging!.
    Feel better soon, Sally
    http://sallysramble.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have my complete empathy. Good excuse now to sit with feet up and have hubby refresh your drink of choice every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Came over to visit from Mage's blog...This brings back a memory for me. We had just moved into an old house in the country. Wanted to move a refrigerator from the kitchen to the basement and we had to go out the front door, down the stairs and then back through the garage. Husband was in front holding the refrigerator on a small handcart. I was on my knees holding onto the handle to guide it down the steep steps...My forearm got caught between the cement steps and the weight of the handcart with the refrigerator on it. I FELT the bones bending and screamed. Husband couldn't get up to me, couldn't get the weight of the refrigerator off my arm as I screamed. I somehow pulled my arm out.....the pain was enormous and I felt myself going into shock. I ran to the kitchen to put my arm under cold water and tried to keep the nausea from putting me into a faint......all I could do was cry, moan and rock back and forth. Finally the cold water and some ice on the arm worked. Then my whole forearm looked like I had been man-handled. Completely black and blue. The next day, a new, young and rather cocky neighbor came over and saw my arm. He gave me husband a look of approval...as if husband had beaten me.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terri, so glad you did not lose the use of your arm. You do mean 'disapproval' I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of just fracturing my arm, what a rude awakening to fall. I also cut the back of my ankle a year or so ago and had to crawl to get around till Joe got me crutches. Sometimes life just stops up in our tracks literally. Enjoy the slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ow, ow, ow!! what a terrible ordeal! so glad that you were not seriously hurt - and impressed that your fitness paid off! take it easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry, Tabor, but I'm glad it wasn't worse. I do hope you are keeping that foot/leg elevated, and that it will much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an ordeal. I make the mistake of moving object that I should not by myself. I need to stop that.

    I hope your pain goes away completely and you heal quickly. I hope hubby's back did not suffer from his rush of energy (probably in anger) when moving the tv by himself.

    Take care of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's scary! I'm so sorry that happened to you.

    I suppose most accidents are caused by us doing things that we shouldn't be doing. I've been telling my 78 year old parents, for years, to stop climbing a ladder in the garage to get up to a storage loft. My mother has finally decided to have all the necessary things up there, brought down.

    Thank you for posting this. You're probably helping us to think twice before attempting to do similar things.

    Best wishes in getting your body back to normal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tabor, I hardly dare ask, but I'll risk it:

    What were you doing carting an obsolete tv set upstairs? If it is one of the old ones, will it work digitally?

    OK, pragmatism over; I am sorry you got hurt and hope your leg will soon shrink back to its ormal size.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry for your "Cherry-Picken Pain." Hope your healing process goes along smoothly and you get outdoors to take the photos you want to capture.

    Just don't climb a tree or get on a ladder to get the shot! ;-)

    - The word for the day is "Heal" - "Heal" - "Heal."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you are feeling better now Tabor. An interesting story though - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  16. An injury from a fall is one of my greatest fears. Soon after we moved into this home and some of the remodel was in progress I was walking down the stairs that did not yet have a railing and found myself hurled to the floor in the blink of an eye. I sliced open my pinky finger and felt those waves of nausea and waves of pain that you mentioned. All of the feeling has yet to return to my pinky finger but it serves as a reminder of how careful I need to be to avoid further falls. Hope you are much better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Tabor, ouch.... Hope everything mends quickly and SO glad you didn't break the leg or anything else either. Muscles and ligaments will need TLC for several days though. Be kind to yourself and very gentle too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good Golly Tabor...hope you heal up fast. It is frustrating when we think we can easily do something we've done a thousand times in the past, and find we ot' not do now...gentle hug

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tabor, I am so sorry.
    Can relate to some of it as I have had bad falls in the past.
    My grandmother fell out of tree while trimming branches.
    So guess we are cut out of the same cloth.
    Take care - ice and try and stay off of it...

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry. Nothing works right when our body isn't working right.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I feel your pain.. literally. I sprained my ankle very badly this summer and finally been able to wear a shoe about a month ago. I hope your healing time is much faster. Keep it iced and elevated.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that is one harrowing experience! TV sets and stairs are a bad mix, but you probably know I would attempt the same thing. Thank goodness nothing is broken! I hope you are healing up nicely and staying off that foot!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.