Sunday, August 28, 2011

Whoosh...


I am putting it off as long as I can.  This morning was filled with hot and sweaty work outside.  Lots of lifting and carrying and putting in piles made me sweaty and thirsty.  Now I have come inside and opened the fridge for the very last time in heaven only knows how many days to take out the cool ice tea pitcher and finish it off.

The yard looks like an elephant herd was frightened down the street and took a detour past the house and through both sides of the yard.  The only things that do not seem disturbed are the birds and butterflies who have continued their sugar collecting even before the sun broke through the clouds today.   HUGE and small trees are down everywhere and it is a miracle that the house, shed, boat and dock were spared.

I am writing now on a laptop with a waning battery and am writing this post in MSWord as there is no electricity in the neighborhood, and I hope to post it at my daughter’s house.  Rumor has it that 80% of the county is without electricity due to some major power station router being down.  A man up the road who has a tree on his house and works for the electric company said we might get power by 9:00 this evening.  I doubt  it.  I am not complaining because the temp will not break 80 F for the next few days and I do not have large trees resting on my house as those who live on the Bay and elsewhere seem to have experienced.  There were emergency calls about once a minute to the local fire station last night.  (My neighbor, the lottery winner, volunteers as an EMT, and she has had no sleep all night according to her husband.)

I had promised to take my granddaughter down here this week to care for as she has no school or camp…but it looks like we will be spending the week up at her house.  I am putting off opening the chest freezer and emptying the contents into a cooler to take up the daughter’s house where there is electricity.  It seems like such a long and dreadful project, and I am debating whether to complete a wash/cloth bath before or after.  We are on a well and that means no water can be pumped to the house, so everything is done using the water we have set aside.  I have so much food from the garden that will have to be tossed away.

When I return here at the end of the week I have only a weekend left to pack for a two-week trip, and if there is still no electricity, this could be a bigger project than I wanted.  I will empty the fridge, the freezer, and try to check off my list the things that have to be done when one is gone for two weeks to a place far away.  It will be a job with many small errands and projects and I am fighting a chest cold which drains all my energy reserves.  My adult kids want to join us for the next weekend prior to departure, but I am NOT cooking anything while they are here.  Seems reasonable to me?  Either we BBQ or eat out.

At least, with the neighbor’s help we have cleared the driveway of a 16-18 inch diameter poplar and tons and tons of leaves and branches. It is a long drive this evening up to my daughter's house past many black or yellow blinking traffic lights, dark houses, and darker stores.

15 comments:

  1. Oh boy, what a mess. Since you posted this, I suppose you are at your daughter's house: nice at least that they have power.

    I hate to think of all that work you must do, and the food that might go to waste.

    How do butterflies survive through such a storm? Impossible. And your crazy little groundhog, grazing in the yard during the thick of the hurricane? Sometimes I envy those creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some morning. Hope everything comes in order soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. I sure hope you get power soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I remember cleaning up after rain and flooding messes while living in KC, and I do not envy you. Howeer, the good news is .... you're OK, if without power.

    It amazes me how little creatures like the butterflies come through horrendous storms like that.

    This is funny.... on the blog list where new posts show up with the first few words of a post, yours says "Whoosh" and then "Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ..." Clearly the blog-reader doesn't read MSWord!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. things sound awful there. but you're safe, your house is standing, and you have place to go to. very glad of all that! your week can only improve. take care of your cold and ask those adult children for help next weekend. and yes, eat out! very happy to hear from you, tabor. thanks for blogging to us and easing our collective minds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. Sending <3 <3 your way! Be safe. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a storm. Hope all returns to normal for you soon. We got a lot of rain up here, but not too much high wind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds overwelming Tabor. Just take it "One Day at a Time"...or one hour. Missouri "mojo" headed your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beginning to sound like the mechanical disasters such as power outages, etc. are going to far outweigh the damages caused by mother nature. Wishing you well as you adapt, improvise and overcome:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry.
    Thought of you
    through this.
    Be careful and take care of yourself.
    Postive and uplifting
    thoughts sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you got it all loaded and made it up to your daughters house. I'm applauding you. I'm sure you can hear my hands clapping now. Thank you for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your task list is daunting, please do take care of yourself. Hope your vacation is one of unabashed leisure. Maybe your kids could bring some meals with them. glad you are here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ack.. I'm sorry your property was so damaged but I'm glad that you and yours are okay. Sending you best thoughts and strength to get through it all.

    I saw the same opening that Lynilu saw on Google Reader. I thought "whoosh" was a storm reference.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know a quick way to empty the freezer. Learned this past weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  15. We never lost power. Family members in the Boston area did and just got it back this p.m. We barely got anything here but had the generator ready just in case. Glad it's over for everyone's sake.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.