Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Into the Middle of the Vacation Week

I have never been a heavy sleeper and even less so as I age unless my day has been particularly stressful.  Seems that catching a 4-year-old diving from the pools  edge 500 times in an afternoon is not that stressful, because here it is 3:30 in the morning and I am awake and sitting in the living room of our vacation apartment on my PC.  I woke up for no reason and after a brief trip to the bathroom noticed that granddaughter was sleeping sideways with her feet in grandson's stomach.  I gently straightened her out and feeling wide-awake decided not to return to hubby's side and his gentle snores.

Ten minutes ago as I sat here reading blogs, my 6-year-old grandson stumbled bleary-eyed into the room complaining of a bad dream.  I put the laptop on the table and he crawled into my arms.  His sun-browned body is all boney joints and sharp angles but I cuddled for a brief time before carrying the heavy body back to bed and tucking him in.

It is now 5:30 and I am craving some coffee but hesitate to make it afraid the smell might wake up my daughter who is STILL feeding the 4 month old once or twice at night.  She has tried for three weeks to get him to sleep through until early morning and his crying does not abate.  So she has given up on that effort (she is breast feeding).  He starts on cereal soon, so that might allow her to get more sleep.  She returns to work full time this Monday!  When they were talking about how hard pioneer women had to work, I think about how we haven't really changed that effort.  Less physical but now mothers' days are just as long with more stuff to do.

This week has been fun and well-paced and except for the unbearable heat and humidity, a memorable one.  It is always stressful to cram a family with three children and grandparents into a two-bedroom unit, but we have managed to avoid arguments or stonewalling...except on the part of the 4-year-old who's determined spirit may out do us all.

Two more days of swimming, beaching, mini-golf, shuffleboard, walking, eating, board games and DVDs of Barbie, and then I return to the life of the retired and begin to research how that other group of spirited children (those in D.C.) have begun to destroy my carefully planned and saved for retirement.  I glanced at a headline that indicated Wall Street was not thrilled with debt ceiling compromise and has stamped its foot at least once already.

17 comments:

  1. We did a family vacation in June, with 2 daughters and their husbands,an almost 2 year old grandson and my 82 year old Mother. I too was grateful for no major differences of opinions. I do agree with with you about Mothers today...their lives are just as difficult, just in other ways. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This parallels a bit my four days of Floydfest with company and family coming up the mountain for it. It was worth everything but I'm looking forward to some normalcy now ... and sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how family dynamics change and what a relief it is sometimes to go back to your new normal. My daughter just spent a week with her dad and stepmom, a brother and sister-in-law and a niece and nephew. She said the first four days were delightful and then she thought, "Okay, time to go home now!"

    I am the same way, cherishing each moment I get to spend with my kids and the grands and just as happy to be alone again in my little cottage.

    As for sleeplessness - I am blaming my age!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have the sleeping problem on such a vacation, but I'd for sure sleep for a solid week afterwards! Enjoy what is left and make good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had the sleep problem since I got back to the bunkhouse, and horrible twisted dreams...Think it's due to two weeks of stress over the gathering of family to scatter the rancher & his dog's ashes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who can sleep when the weather is like that, and in a strange bed, plus having restless little ones around. Tonight you'll probably make up for it.
    My niece breast-fed her kids into their 4th year. I told her it was time to quit when her daughter complained: "I want milk, dammit!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy the rest and have a safe trip home. I have company coming and going at my house and I'm not sleeping through the night. Funny listening to them as they sleep though, a restless 10 year old, my sister talks in her sleep, someone sniffs, grumbles or sighs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strong reminders of days when my family were young and sleep all night was merely a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't need crying babies or children who need comforting to wake me up. I'm the one that needs to be fed at 3 am.

    Many nights I now wake and spend 3 hours on the computer and then go back to bed trying to coax Morpheus to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible writing for 3:30am. May you have a grand time and safe return. Rest well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I loved your cuddle with your grandson. I miss having young grandchildren. I envy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was your grandson's nightmare about being punched in the stomach? ;) jk
    So nice to be able to spend that time with family and it also makes you appreciate your home life at the same time too, doesn't it? :)
    Glad you are all having a lovely time together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First, glad you are showing no signs of the runny nose. Sorry you woke in the night tho. I think that by monday the baby needs to be weaned from those middle of the night feedings. YOu sound great tho.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I would have made the coffee anyway. The smell might have made your daughter drift off into dreamland. Oh well, have a great time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're a thoughtful mom and grandma. I envy the kidlet cuddles.. and even the breastfeeding mom. I'm torn between fondly remembering my own days as a newish mom and wanting to be a greandma. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Welcome Back... Sounds like you had a nice vacation.. At least I hope so. Sometimes vacations with family can be quite stressful.. But--when everyone gets along and when everyone is flexible, things usually work out.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.