Sunday, May 29, 2011

Your Turn!

I recently took a stag's leap and loaded some of my photos onto a communal/commercial site called RedBubble.  It exists for artists of all types to show work, compare thoughts, and for a very few...to perhaps sell something.  One would never get rich at this, but an artist could get some small recognition and an outstanding artist would get his/her feet wet.

All that has happened to me thus far from this venture is some nice, very general comments from others...nothing I could grow by.  I was hoping that other photographers would critique (gently)...tell me to use a different filter, a different background, frame/crop it in "such and such way" or not be so lazy next time and actually use a tripod!  Or perhaps explain why they found it somewhat derivative.  Add to this the fact that the photographer cannot really view his work with a critical eye.

But they know the fragile nature of themselves and all artists and are afraid to even venture in that direction.  I, on the other hand, actually wrote to one photographer and had no shyness with my suggestions for a better background in taking a picture of an antique piece of glassware and she was grateful for my advice.

Anyway to get to my point and the purpose of the blog post title...I have posted below a photo I took recently at the nearby university campus.  When I uploaded it onto my computer I was touched by the love between the young couple revealed in their body language and his face.  I took the photo in a public place and was not using a telephoto, but I felt that not camouflaging their identity would be rude.

My questions to you (and answer honestly or not at all) is what do you think?  Opinions as a viewer...you do not have to know which end of the camera works...just your immediate reaction to this photo as an observer.

Does this photo capture that romantic feeling?
Have I ruined it by trying to use various software filters to hide identities?  Would it be better to just show him?
Is it so derivative it hurts your eyes?
Color and tone?  What do you think? (I tried for a romantic pink tone.)
Other compelling comments?
This is not one of my favorites ... so feel free to be honest.

16 comments:

  1. Okay, intake of a nervous breath and...

    I like the soft, springlike colors. I personally would crop the photo more tightly, especially across the top and to the right. It think it would enhance the feeling of their closeness. I think the privacy filter was great. I didn't realize how much until I enlarged the photo and could see how it worked. Nice work.

    Thanks for the hint about Redbubble, do you have an ID with it or is it Tabor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no photographic ability so I hesitate to comment at all. Still, my eye was drawn most immediately to the stairs. Maybe that means I agree with Celia's cropping suggestion. And I had no idea what a privacy filter might be, except I really did get it when I enlarged the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely crop it but I would avoid a "bull's eye" composition. It doesn't strike me as particularly romantic I think because of the body language of the couple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would crop it, moving the couple to the left of the frame to lose the garbage can. Like the filter effect on close up. It doesn't appear romantic to me, possibly because of the computer.
    How do we find you in Redbubble?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brighid...search for a photo called One Hand Clapping and that will get you about six photos. You should find me from that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the pink was an error in the light. And too, I understand why you cropped it the way you did, but distance might have helped blur things a bit. Where Celia would crop it more tightly, I might move the bush on the left in then crop the left side. Yes, I can see he loves her. That's the core of the photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care for the pink, although I understand your reason for it. I would also crop it more tightly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the composition, and I would not crop it more. The garbage can doesn't bother me. If you cropped it the privacy filter would be quite obvious. I would not have the privacy filter. It looks a bit creepy close up. Is it really necessary?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the effect on the shrubbery, green and trees. I also like that effect on his hair and their clothes.

    The railing distracted me at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The background is too busy. The girl is a nothing, the boy is sweet.

    I don't like the pink filter.

    It is not particularly romantic, just a boy and girl sitting on a bench. There isn't really any focus to the picture.

    Blimey, should I click 'publish'? Will you hate me forever now? Please don't, I'd miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Friko...when one asks for an opinion one must be ready. I love you for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you did show him to me. Did you change your mind. If it were me I would crop it in just a tad closer to zero more in on the exchange, cropping out the cement in the front left (or at least seeing how that looks). I would also sharpen it up on the dark end of the spectrum. I'm not sure about the pink tone.

    I struggle with taking photos of strangers too but I think photographers do it all the time, as long as they are in public. It's even stranger when they end up in the local paper. I took some today of a girl feeding ducks and young boy fishing on a bridge and I'm mostly happy with them. Too bad my son just showed me how to take the smudge of my lens after I took them though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You worry me with all the time you devote to seeking affirmation. You are a very talented writer and a wonderful photographer. The only person you really need to please is yourself and the world is large enough that somewhere out there, others will agree. (But never,never EVERYONE.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tabor, you always please me.
    I would not begin to know how to do all you do with images. I just point the camera, take a picture, download and usually smile.
    I please easily with this new hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The best advice that I see here is Granny Annie's. Your photography should speak to YOU. If it even whispers to anyone else, you're ahead of the game. Don't second guess what you saw in the image.. if it spoke of intimacy to you, then you've captured what you wanted. You love the photo.. why invite folks to tell you reasons that you perhaps shouldn't?

    I also wouldn't worry about posting images of folks as long as you're not revealing clear details as to where you snapped it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This pic makes me feel like I'm peeping into someone's relationship- The colorizaton reminds me of poor exposure-

    Note: I've never published strangers recognizable faces without their consent- If you want to get paid legally for the work you need written consent or you can get sued-
    So I go for sides, backs, kids, silhouettes...

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.