Saturday, February 05, 2011

Going Away




Like the snow birds I will be going away for several weeks in the coming month, and perhaps, depending on wireless connections, not posting or reading as I fly (drive) south.  This is an escape from winter, a reunion with old friends, a vacation, a biding of time at a country home, a visit to a cemetery, and a week's adventure on a Caribbean island.  We seem to want to squeeze it all into one small package before we die and fortunately we have just enough money and just enough health to do that at this time in our lives.  Living frugally and living part of the time overseas has paid us well.

For one of the weeks my husband will be on an adventure of fishing and camping in the wilderness of the Everglades with an old (in his 70's) friend..if the old dude's shoulder mends!  Hubby will be spiritually one with dormant (hopefully) mosquitoes, the abundant (un-hungry) alligators and the ever present potential for catching fish.  He will be sleeping in a tent on platforms throughout the marsh and muddy islands and cooking over a kerosene stove.  If his GPS loses its signal in the thousands of islands, he may be lost forever.  I have no envy of this adventure and will be happy to stay with the friend's wife on their simple country estate in Florida.  The wife (Martha) and I know each other only a little but have much in common, although I still was feeling guilty about descending on her for over a week.  Then it was explained to me that she is very much looking forward to this visit and I saw the light.

First, her husband, while a decent chap, is somewhat tedious, talks too much, tells a few too many off-color tales of young college students he taught a long time ago, and in general, can be a bit of a bore as he is very, very, very smart.  Now in all honesty, the talking too much can be applied to my hubby as well if not the other attributes.  My husband's enthusiasm for life can make him a bit of a bore to others at times also.  So, perhaps, their partnership in the wilderness will be a success and provide both us women with respite while they chase away the wildlife in the glades.

Martha has had much tragedy this past year or more with the diagnosis of a heart condition for her.  This was followed by the death of one of her daughters-in-law, wife of her youngest son, after a lengthy tragic illness.  To add more weighted agony, this widowed son was soon diagnosed with epilepsy causing the loss of his drivers licence and the total dependence on his parents for transport to and from work.  A few months later Martha lost her oldest son to a sudden illness causing her second, now widowed, daughter-in-law to take their only grandchild and move away to be nearer to her family for economic and other reasons.  When I visited Martha last winter she said she was feeling guilty for having panic attacks.  (I, myself, might never crawl out of bed again if faced with these challenges.)  I am always so amazed at the warriors in this world.

Thus, she is looking forward to my visit saying it will be a break for her.  I am going to bring wine and books and maybe some gifts of music CDs and certainly some patience and love.  I first connected with Martha at an outdoor picnic at Wolftrap (an outdoor theater) where she brought wonderful food and wine.  I looked back on that summer evening decades ago...and can only say "What the he**!"  How and why did life turn on her so?

After this visit hubby and I will head to Ft. Lauderdale to visit my husband's parents' graves which we haven't been to in a decade.  These pilgrimages are necessary at times and something I never thought I would do when I was younger and far less nostalgic.

Then we are off to Jamaica, a last minute decision without forethought, an island I have always wanted to visit ever since I saw an Arthur Godfrey (he was an ancient TV personality) show filmed there.  I was about 12 at that time and the beauty of this island has always stayed in my mind.  We will see if the memory lives up to my expectations, because I am aware of the poverty, crime, and other problems of the island.  We are experienced travelers and rarely disappointed when we head out.   It will be difficult in my mind to once again be a very rich person in another land realizing my life is so covered in cotton batting.  This place will require us to be a little less adventuresome and more of a tourist, but the spirit of the Jamaican people has to count for something!  There should be plenty of opportunity for photos...and more boring posts when I return if we do not find ourselves too isolated at the resort and with 'canned' trips.

So until then, unless I can post something while in Florida,  I will be both physically and virtually away AND I will not have to watch the Super Bowl!

22 comments:

  1. Oh, dear Tabor - I travel with you in my heart. Blessings go with you and I know this will be enjoyable time for you and that special mate.
    I know I mentioned before about Jamaica. Such wonderful memories I have - wish I were with you.
    Who knows maybe the Universe will favor me and I can return in these 3 score and 10 years :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boring? Never! Bring it. We love it. Pictures and all. I have never been to Jamaica - not sure if I ever will go, so I have to get my "fix" from posts such as yours.

    Whoops. Never say never. Be safe and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband's zest for life sounds wonderful to me; certainly better than one who sits in a chair with his hand on the TV remote all day. Enjoy your trip, your time with Martha (who obviously needs you!) and I hope that you find Jamaica all you hoped it would be and more. We'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem Mon! I loved climbing Dunn River Falls....I was younger then though....and watching the sun set at Rick's Cafe....the air will get you high whether you want it to or not....Have fun. We'll talk when you return...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your plan sounds wonderful

    freedom, sunshine, adventure and companionship, what cold be better. Enjoy yourself, take care, and tell us about it when you get back.

    Happy Landings!


    This time I got here first go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it sounds like an amazingly diverse trip and a wonderful thing to do on so many levels. we'll all be looking forward to tales from the road (and the island!) when you come back. safe travels, Tabor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a rewarding trip. I will be very interested in hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On so many levels this sounds like the perfect trip. You are an engaging writer and photographer so I very much look forward to whatever posts you can muster and will miss you. Blogland sends its love to Martha - your time with her should be a blessing to both of you. Be safe. Live well. Shalom

    ReplyDelete
  9. They do say a change is as good as a rest. Here's hoping you enjoy the travel, meeting up with friends and change of scenery. Take care and bring back lots of blogging stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh . . . you lead an interesting life and it's great to follow it all through your blogs which are NEVER boring! So, you're off to Florida and the Carribean . . . wonderful!

    Some people have such hard and sad lives while many of us are very blessed. Life is not always easy or fair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of life's disappointments is that bad things happen to good people. I know you will be a tonic for Martha.

    Have a safe and pleasant journey. I am looking forward to those photos as I will never see Jamaica in this life. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:12 PM

    An adventure! Have fun and take lots of photos. It will be interesting to hear about the different parts of the trip.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a grand time...I look forward to lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a great time... your company will be a much needed tonic for Martha I'm sure!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. I hope you have a a relaxing and rewarding time with a friend that will likely grow into even-more-of-a friend. I am sure your presence will be like a breath of fresh air for her.

    My hubbie spent a fair amount of time in the swamps of the deep south, and the alligators were amazing..the sounds they make...but the most bothersome creatures were the raccoons. I bet there will be stories coming from his adventures i n the Everglades.

    I hope Jamaica is fabulous. Can't wait to hera about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh have a wonderful and safe trip. My heart breaks for Martha. I'm sure your visit will help to cheer her considerably. Enjoy.. and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have fun and be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you have a lovely trip to all points. I think I'd personally be under the bed if faced with those challenges.

    It's good to get away from home sometimes though, isn't it? Even if it is only to feel so very glad to return to it eventually. Here's hoping you enjoy both the trip and the return.

    And the wine, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bon Voyage!!
    I'm sure you will encounter a lot of good and precious moments and your visit will be a great encouragement to Martha.
    I'm looking forward to your stories and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We all hope you will find a way to communicate as you travel. You didn't miss a thing by not watching the superbowl, but we will certainly miss you, Have a great time. Hugs from here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds like a great trip. I'm sure your visit to Martha will be good for her.

    Jamaica sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am jealous because we ALMOST planned a get a way but then talked ourselves out of it. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.