Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Shortest Day


(Been here and done this...so please be patient with me.)

I grab my down coat and pull it over my pajamas and then slip into my plastic clogs still wearing my woolly slipper socks.  The sun is up but it is having a tough time burning through the heavy cold winter fog although the morning is well underway.  There is no wind, so my coat will be perfect in protecting me from winter's breath.

Grabbing my ever-present camera, I plod down to the dock being careful that I do not slip on the thin coating of frost that covers everything on this early morning turning all surfaces to slippery diamond dust.  Snow is predicted, but this is lovely enough for me right now.

Winter is here and while I still marvel at its stark beauty, I also know that I prefer the other three seasons more as I age.  Winter means I have to move more carefully, I have to dress in layers before I go outside, and the dark of night comes before the dinner hour and lasts well after I get up in the morning.  I am a Mediterranean baby.

Today is my birthday and I used to wonder with resentment why I was born on the shortest day of the year...but now I think it is because my birth is the harbinger of longer days to come and the beginning of the return of spring.  I now view my birthday as sign of good things to come!  I am the bearer of good news.

And look what Gaia brought me as a present early on my day of celebration...an eclipse of the moon!

20 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday good news bearer!! I like that! May you have a fabulous celebration. Love the photo!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday from me too! That is a beautiful photo. I have umpteen layers on as well, and that is in the house. Not trusting myself to go out today as it is still minus 10C and I have a chest cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Tabor...many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birtday, Tabor. You certainly share your day with auspicious events. May your year be as beautiful as last night's sky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Tabor. I tried to get up to watch the eclipse on the west coast but failed, zzzz. Great photo. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too tried to watch the eclipse but due to low clouds (fog) and high clouds alas, I was not able to see it. Your image is the best I got!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:02 PM

    Happy Birthday! It is my sister in law's birthday, too.
    You photo of the eclipse came out very well.

    I agree with you about the seasons.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! Of course it's the summer solstice here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! I like the good news bearer thought. It's my birthday too but since I have albinism, I look the part of a winter solstice baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woot! I think it is pretty much over, but I hope your day was great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry I've just missed your birthday (by 2 minutes) Tabor! Hope it was a happy one and that you have many more to celebrate in the future!

    I missed the eclipse (zzzzzzzzz)

    I like the 21st because it signals the start of longer days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was offline for a few hours :)
    Missed your birthday.
    Happy Birthday to you...
    Beautiful pictures. Take care special online friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday! Positioned on the west coast we should have had the very best view of the lunar eclipse, but alas it was rainy and overcast. So I am glad that you managed a beautiful picture so I could enjoy it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Tabor. You must feel awfully special to share such an important day:) You will love these pictures on Katherine Plummer's blog by following this link: http://blog.katherineplumer.com/2010/12/winter-solstice-lunar-eclipse.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy (albeit belated) birthday wishes and thanks for being the harbinger of longer days ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A belated happy birthday wish and thanks for the gift of a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did it! I always think of Winter Solstice as the day of the light returning. It can't get any darker, only brighter. Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy belated birthday greetings to you, dear Tabor.

    Do i detect the merest sliver of a lengthening day? N, it's still just a thought, but we've reached the bottom of the valley and it's all uphill from now.

    We are all snowed in and iced up, there's little movement round here. When i've fed the birds which takes about an hour, I scuttle back inside pronto.

    May I wish you a very happy and peaceful Christmas season, with or without the religious trimmings.

    Thank you, blogpal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy belated Birthday! What a great photo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday to you. What a lovely post about your birth and the winter season.

    I know you like the warm weather but if you are planning a trip to Florida don't come any time in the near future.

    Another cold spell is coming!!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.