Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Truth, the Whole Truth

I sometimes take hundreds of photographs on a day trip. I used to be conservative and clearly egotistical thinking that I should be selective and only try to take the 'best' shots.  I also felt going through 300 photos when I got home would be a headache. It isn't really...just deleting 99% is the tedious part.  I find that among those 300 there is usually one or two worthy of a post or adding to my collection. I realized that just posting these 2 or 3 was not a fair or realistic story of my photographic trips. So below is a more accurate photographic journey that I took in the canoe just a few weeks ago.  (The 3% will be posted on my other blog in the future.)


It was a beautiful if somewhat nippy fall morning.  We drove up to the landing at a small river that flows into a small bay that is a protected area for wildlife.  The foggy mist was just lifting from the water and made for a nice but not great early morning shot.  I had to carefully stand in some squishy wet grass that was just beginning to thaw from the early frost and to lean out across the water.  It was hard to see where the land ended and the deeper part of the river bank began.  I only got a few toes wet and cold which is the sacrifice one makes for a photo.


The air was crisp and the sky was a perfect November blue.  Some of the trees were still clinging to their colored leaves and the water was like glass.  I had my camera, my paddle, my paddle-mate, my warm gloves, my travel mug of hot coffee and a package of donuts.  Perfect for this little Queen, I thought.


I was able to manage a paddle stroke and a sip of coffee while resting my bismarck on the bow of the canoe.  I had the rhythm going.  Of course it helps that your mate does 90% of the paddling while you eat and drink.  As we got to the wider part of the river we could hear the geese that were sheltering in this preserve.  The sound of gunfire was intermittent in the distance which must have been making them leery.


We heard the geese chattering long before we rounded the grassy point and actually saw them tucked against the marsh. I immediately recognized the photo op and quickly set down my coffee cup which promptly spilled on my foot warming my previously chilled toes...but I got the first shot before the geese were bolting.  I watched them gently swimming away from us and grumbling to each other as I dabbed at my now warm foot with my wool neck scarf and uprighted my travel mug.  I lowered the camera and removed my gloves and took a bite of the frosting sticky donut and noticed the geese didn't fly.  I licked my chocolate frosted fingers as I pondered the hesitation of the geese.


Suddenly without warning and just to the back of my left shoulder a large flock of ducks broke the silence screaming in panic.  I rarely can get photos of our wild ducks, the above photo being a prime example.  They are very leery and so my heart jumped at seeing so many and so close as they raced across the bow of the canoe quacking and flapping.  I grabbed my camera covering the hand grip with frosting and snapped this blurry tilted photo above.  Then while trying to manually focus for a better shot I got more frosting on the lens!


I grabbed the damp wool scarf at my feet and brushed it across the lens quickly and leaning back in the canoe snapping this shot above my head as the ducks banked left toward another marsh.  Please notice the framing, the focus and the artistic use of lint which is not something I have seen on many photos.  (You should click on the photo for the complete experience.)

Oh, yeah, I also got this sharp photo of a hawk...feel free to identify!



21 comments:

  1. An interesting series, nonetheless. I also take many photos, although probably not hundreds unless I am on a trip. Very few of them make the cut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. We have the same canoe--always feel a little old-fashioned because it seems everyone else has kayaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olga I have never thought of status when it comes to canoes...although we do have an Old Town and hubby has a sit-in kayak. This Grumman has been with us for 35 years and traveled the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the red leaf in the first picture was a bird, lovely moment. I toss most of my pictures, digital cameras are the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bit of luck that you have a mate who does all the work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a Grumman that's even older. Next time we take it out I will be sure to remember that I can rest my bismark on the prow!

    If you hadn't confessed to the lint, I would have thought they were birds. [I have taken photos of lint-birds myself:)]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should be more selective when I delete shots, but if it isn't out of focus or just plain bad I have a hard time parting with it. I have the same trouble when I clean my closets. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful stuff. You caught the magic of the moment in all the shots. Yes, I take volumes of shots. When I get home, I play with a few, but I don't delete any. There they all are, years of them, clogging up all my HDs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful day on the river, great shots!

    I take tons of shots too, not very many make the cut either. I am trying to be selective in my shots now though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting place. What is a bismark?

    ReplyDelete
  11. All are beautiful photos, but the second is my preferred!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, I really thank you for this. I thought everyone else always took great photos, and it was just me who got the horizon at an angle and junk on the lens. But, like Darlene and Maggie, I have trouble deleting. So much of one's past is deleted automatically.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos and especially an award winner in that second picture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eating donuts in a canoe and taking photos of wildlife, what an amazing life. Your description of the lint framed photo cracked me up and put me in hysterics when I enlarged it. Very funny, but other than that the photo wasn't bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed this trip with you. Always enjoy your trips. You make me hungry talking about the donut.
    Wonderful images - I do not take many and delete most. Oh to be out on the water - would be nice.
    Wonder if I could find a guide:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous4:49 PM

    I do the same thing with photos, many taken, few saved.

    What an interesting time you had! I love the photos you saved from this outing. The landscape, color of the water, and wildlife were perfect.

    So far, I haven't frosted lens, but give me time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post because you've called us all out by showing your photos which you would have deemed to the delete pile. We all have those but few of us would have the good humour to show them this way. The lint on the lens just cracked me up. I can so relate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is the hawk a sea-eagle? The photos are a great record of what was obviously a lovely day. Makes me want to go canoeing again - haven't done it for years! Not sure if I could even balance properly now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping by Tabor.

    You always have the best photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photos!!! Such talent....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very, very nice. I envy you your location, and skill. Good going.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.