Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Big Food Day



Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  Why?  I don't have to buy and wrap gifts that may or may not be on needed and appreciated.  I don't have to decorate more than the table.  The day is all about food, one of my favorite vices.  It is all about cooking, a favorite hobby.  Even vegans will find enough to eat at my table.  It is all about being thankful for anything and everything that has happened during the year.  It is about the history of our country and the hard working people that held it together so that we now have this beautiful if somewhat dysfunctional democracy to shelter us.  It is (even if somewhat anecdotally) about the history of two disparate cultures coming together during a time of hardship.  It is not about a specific religion, so every friend and family member can agree on the reason for the day.  (All the whiners, complainers, and dieters please stay home.)

My TG day will be smaller this year which is a little strange for me.  TG is supposed to be lots of people and lots of food and with my family going different directions as my life moves on this is not always the case.  BUT it is supposed to be a time of thankfulness and I certainly have much to be thankful for.  My daughter has decided to go to the in-laws (even though mashed potatoes come out of the box, some people only eat chicken, and pies come from the bakery there).  My son is coming here and he is coming with his new girlfriend, so there will be some good reason to cook.  This will be the third time we have gotten together this fall, and that is super cool.  I am going to use the best china, my M.I.L.s silver (plated) utensils which I have NEVER bothered to use and buying some flowers for a centerpiece.  Weather is supposed to be cloudy with a 50% chance of showers...who cares!

May you have enough to eat and someone to share with on this holiday.

18 comments:

  1. Enjoy! It's all about the things and people that make us happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try and keep the spirit of Thanksgiving as we get together with friends to celebrate their 25th Wedding Anniversary. Happy T/G to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the days of having to choose the in-laws instead the Norman Rockwell Table at Grandma's. My mother-in-law, fortunately was a very good cook - so we usually chose to go there for T-Giving. This way we could spend most other holidays with my family. One year though, before we had any kids we decided to disappoint everyone and go to the Bahamas for the holidays. You will quickly guess how young we were when I tell you that once there we were apalled to see that the restaurant charged us an extra $1.50 for a baked potato. The next year it was over the river and through the woods...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our families keep rearranging themselves, shrink and grow. I think I will get out my mother's dishes and silver for the next get together here, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving, Tabor.

    Tell me, what are the two cultures coming together?
    I don't think i understand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friko...the rumor is that the American Indian shared their bounty with the starving Pilgrims and that everyone was thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My huband, kids, and I are going to my parents' home and it will be a lovely, lazy day of eating, lounging, and talking.

    Sounds like you have a wonderful day planned and the perfect attitude to go along with it.

    EnJoy!

    Thank you for leaving your thoughts on my recent post. I love getting a heartfelt and honest perspective, even if it doesn't blend with the majority.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like it will be lovely, despite your daughter's absence. I hope that you and yours will have a very happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that you and your family have a great Thanksgiving, and that your daughter thinks she made the right decision!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving Tabor! I hope it lives up to being a worthy day for your favorite holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have rain here today, too. Dogs wouldn't even go off the porch. It sure will make it nice for family to come in out of the drizzle and smell that bird and all the other goodies.

    Mashed potatoes out of the box? Hmm. I believe that is un-American.

    Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Going to eat my through the day with my son, his wife and the five grands!
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a great holiday. My mom is visiting and she reads the USA Today. They had an article about how as our children grow, to be prepared for them not always coming home for the holidays. Grateful they are experiencing other traditions. Makes that sound easier, doesn't it.

    Your plans sounds marvelous. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Thanksgiving, may your blessing be many!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Thanksgiving :}

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful it all sounds. Do let us know. Here, we were surrounded by about fifty people in various stages of sobriety and competence. Turkey kept walking in the door. Various dressings, pies, veggies, and layers kept being added. There was little left when we returned to get our serving pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Belated Thanksgiving,
    Hope that you enjoyed a grand one.
    Blessings fly your way.

    awards/treats 4 u

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.