Friday, October 15, 2010

Drum the Hell Out of It.

The Badlands are just over an hour outside of Calgary and, sadly, an afterthought to many tourists. We (I) wanted the best lighting across the desert geology and left very early from Calgary on a Monday morning. Racing along the highway I was in agony missing this sunrise which I snapped addictively from the rental car as cold morning air blew in my face and large semi-trucks raced ahead.



We were heading to a town called Drumheller. The name alone reflects the harshness of a town in a valley surrounded by flat topped dry hills. It is an old coal mining town. 139 mines were registered between 1911 and 1979 and there is a coal mining museum that tells the hard story.  We did not stop to visit the museum and the last mining site although it has been designated a national historic site in Canada.

People here are solid and probably conservative.  The Passion Play which is held every year is currently a claim to fame and draws people for hundreds of miles.







Drumheller is also known as Dinosaur valley because some important fossils have been found and the town has a claim to having the "largest dinosaur statue" in the world...which hadn't been on my bucket list to see, but now is (was).  There is a stunning modern paleontology museum which was closed on Mondays to us and so we missed that interpretation of this exceptional area.  If you are curious please go here for some fun.


Just north of here is another town called Hanna where the group Nickelback originated  (I will leave you to do your detective work to figure out where the name came from...you couch potatoes already know.)  There is something so totally talented and in abundance in the music gene pool of Canadians.  I like this group (Nickelback) , but not necessarily their evolutionary change in music as they move out of the valley.


Anyway, we did meet a few interesting town 'folks' of that solid small-town ilk which I will include in the next post.  

13 comments:

  1. The colors in that sky are beautiful. I'm glad you raced out into the cold to take the photo.

    It sounds like you had an interesting trip to Canada. I saw dinasours on my trip too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! That sunrise is amazing! Great capture!!
    The museum sounds so interesting!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, fun. And I bet you got some really good badland images too.

    I do like that dinosaur critter. We stopped for a few days in Vernal Utah a few years ago, and they too have a splendid museum as well as Dinosaur National Park. Really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sky is really on fire; I bet you got some great pictures in the badlands in the morning light. Nice dinos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tabor, thanks again for letting me travel along with you and your husband. If it were not for people like you - I would not know much about the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you saw so many interesting places while you were in Canada, Tabor. Thanks for sharing them with us... AND --thanks for sharing the sunrise. Wow--how neat....

    Have a nice weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sunrise was well worth getting up early for.

    Your trip was a very productive one in that you brought back a lot of impressions to last you a while. What's known as being a traveller rather than a tourist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sunrise is breathtaking!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that sky is stunning
    and I must admit I love giant statues

    thanks for visiting my stink bug post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:01 PM

    Great sunrise! Another interesting post. I didn't know of the Badlands.

    My grandsons are coming tomorrow, Nickelback is one of their favorite bands. (and mine) I am going to ask them if they know where the name came from, having just looked it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post and most of your others are so reflective of your blog title and profile description.

    I hope you having as wonderful a time as it apprears!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like 1 maybe 2 songs by Nickelback. I did not know where the name came from. I thought maybe they came from a nickel mining area - but no... coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sky would have had be hanging out the car door!

    I always wonder how the town of Kill Devil (NC) got its name.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.