Sunday, June 20, 2010

Swimming in the Gene Pools



I am certainly blessed with the presence of my daughter in my life.  We live an hour and a half away, but do manage to see each other as often as possible.  I rewarded her with a belated birthday weekend at a B&B and wine tour recently.   I was pleased and somewhat surprised that we still are so in sync with our personalities and interests.  We are more alike than different.  I know this is not true with many mother/daughter relations and therefore I am truly thankful.  This weekend together flowed just like honey.  There were no glitches or differences of opinion or problems.


Her daughter, on the other hand, is very different from both of us and we recognize this in her even though she is only three.  She complains each morning about what to wear and changes at least once if not twice, even if clothes have been chosen and laid out the night before.  My daughter and I are social animals, but my granddaughter takes sociability to the top.  She calls across the street to perfect strangers telling them she is going to ballet,  this time she will not be afraid to participate and look at the nice PINK dress she is wearing.  My daughter and I did not talk to strangers so easily when we were children and we both could care less what we wore.  It was only when we discovered we were girls (probably around 13) that we decided to try to dress nicely.


She was bold and loquacious during her open house visit to her new pre-school.  She met the teachers, told them about her clothes, how she couldn't wear her Princess dress to the open house (school rules) etc.  


She is strong as steel and knows how to get what she wants.  She reduces her 5-year-old brother to tears by killing the line of ants in the backyard.  When her mother tries to get her to stop stomping on them she looks up full of conviction and says, "I don't like them!"  She is all girl.  She favors her two grandfathers over the grandmothers, and the old-timers melt like chocolate drops in the hot sun when she turns on the charm.


My daughter and I smile knowingly, but also know she will use these charms to get what she wants from men throughout life, and we hope we can provide the skills of caution in this art of trade.  We are both fascinated by her because she is so different from us.  When I left her yesterday after dropping off her mother she asked if I was coming to see her at her swimming lesson.  I explained I had to head home to meet grandpa.  She looked down at her pretty pink shoes and then up at me and said, "But, I love you!"


The photo above is my daughter taking a picture of the impending storm as we were dropped off at the fourth and last winery of the day.  Even after drinking wine most of the day, we still managed to stop and notice the changes in the Earth.  (This post was written before Father's Day...sort of incongruous in posting it now!)

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post. I do hope you will keep it to share with your granddaughter when she is older. It shows the love of both you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, it is a lovely post; you are very fortunate in your relationship with your daughter.

    The little one will learn soon enough, that not everything is going to go her way through life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So blessed to have your daughter in your life and that you like each other as well. That is cool!!
    Great photo!!
    And you 3 year old granddaughter sounds like quite the handful!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are right; your granddaughter will need to be educated in the ways of caution!! LOL
    She sounds like a few of my granddaughters, and my baby daughter (now 38) who used to talk to everyone, but preferred adults (even when she was 3).

    ReplyDelete
  5. A day of drinking wine and still able to balance a handbag on one shoulder, shoot a camera AND stand on a railroad tie! Pretty impressive! LOL!

    Caution the wee one, yes. But don't stifle that enthusiasm! She sounds like a leader to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your granddaughter sounds pretty determined already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's pretty amazing to see what a little remix of the gene pool will spring on you. We are not shy but book nerds bordering on being contented loners at times, and then along came these confidant, charming little blossoms charging out into world and dragging me along in their wake. Those tiny ones with a will and a view of their own can be inconvient for parents and other adults, but cherish it, they'll need it to be happy, engaged women.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and your daughter were both probably that way and have forgotten. My granddaughter is a pistol and her mother, my daughter,was exactly the same. There is also a lot of rumor that I was as well. It is still true that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great post. Since I also have young granddaughters - it is going to be interesting and fun to watch them grow up.
    So pleased you could spend time with your special daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your little grand sounds like she is here to live out loud and make a difference! I think the future needs lots more folks exactly like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading this post makes me so glad that Wed. I'm picking mom up and we are going out to lunch and then to the hair salon.....she and dad are one of the main reasons I moved us back to AR.....my only grand child (born on our wedding anniversary last year) lives in TX, but they are coming to visit over the 4th and I am so excited! I hope she doesn't spend all her time being shy, though...

    ReplyDelete
  12. another blog?!
    I tried to maintain two for awhile , one more gardening, one more I don't know. you rock.

    I am close to my children, I hope that never changes, what a blessing. My eldest daughter and I went to NYC on her spring break and had fun. No stress.

    No grandchildren yet, but one of my daughters was quite precocious as a wee one and it was so strange, but she got shy as she grew. I loved that she took me out of my comfort zone, but it certainly was challenging at times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tabor, I missed out SO much by not having a daughter. My best friend has a daughter --and they are trully best friends (now that the daughter has grown up and has kids of her own). I'm envious--because, even though I adore my sons, I just don't have that special mother-daughter relationship with my sons. Oh Well--tis life...

    I do have 3 granddaughters --but none of them live close-by ---so that effects the relationship to begin with. Oh Well----guess I'll just pout and be jealous of you and your relationship with your daughter and granddaughter.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed this wonderful character description!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh danger! Even knowing just how manipulative that " But I love you" was.. I'll be your heart still melted. I know mine did. The wee demon! Thanks for sharing this. I envy your close relationship with your daughter. It's still wonderful.. but not quite the same with sons.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such a beautiful post. My oldest daughter is almost a carbon copy of me. We never see eye to eye and looking back, I don't think we ever have.

    I think you're really lucky, but I do think a dose of the granddaughter is just what you and your daughter need! You know - sorta mix it up a bit! :)

    Nice to read you again. I've been so swamped with other things I haven't had time for much.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.