Thursday, May 06, 2010

Craziness



For some weird reason we decided to use the rest of the tax refund (i.e. that free loan that you give to Uncle Sam, AND in our case, the State for a year) and spend it on paving the driveway.  Hubby and I have gone back on forth on the environmental issues, the weeds with ticks that appear by August down the drive vs. the toxicity of herbicide and pesticide vs. the oil runoff of asphalt and the heat that it will bring to the front yard.  I think what pushed us over the edge was the inability to shovel a gravel driveway with any success this past winter after week after week after week of snow.


Then hubby, who is the least pretentious person I know, decided he wanted pavers for the part closest to the house.  (Yes, you can close your mouth.) That is an expensive decision and certainly not necessary.  I was/am so shocked I decided to go along with it.  As I frequently say these days, I am going to die someday, so why not?  I do not fear or welcome death;  I just know that I am now on that downhill side and any decisions I make are not that important when they help employ others in this recession.


Anyway, I sit here at my desk with clouds of powdered cement drifting across the outside front yard and coating every green leaf and colored flower petal as workmen begin to saw into chunks the current cement sidewalk before starting on the driveway paving.  Oh yes, this will be major.  The house shakes as they lift huge chunks of cement with a bulldozer and dump it in their truck.  The workers (you know, the ones with the green cards that everyone wants to ask for to make sure they are legal ...the ones who are essential to our lifestyle...the ones that actually helped, in a small way, keep retail businesses open during the recession... and one of whom has only two pairs of work shoes but will not wear the other pair for weeks because a bird nested in them on his back porch) are covered in cement dust as they use cement saws to cut chunks of 4 inch thick concrete into manageable sizes.  The white guy sits in the front loader and moves the cement to the truck.


They had to carefully move quite a few established plants from either side of the walkway.  I am hoping they survive.  


Mrs. Bluebird left early and I have not seen her return, and I am VERY concerned that we have driven her off her nest.  The distant chickadee in the far birdhouse is still hanging in there in spite of the noise and dust.  We had forgotten the issues of spring when we scheduled this project.  We also should have been prepared for the washing machine gasket problem (in prior post) and the compressor going out on my little wine cooler in the kitchen.  


(Did she say she has a wine cooler in the kitchen?   Really?)


Anyway, neither of these are going to be repaired anytime soon.







18 comments:

  1. This year we owed uncle Sam, so I'm a little jealous of your refund! Pavers don't seem TOO extravagant to me; now if you had said you were investing in thousands of $$ worth of crystal chandeliers, that would have seemed over-the-top.

    I like your description of the workers, especially the detail of the bird's nest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have those thoughts too...about death and why not do things because it won't matter after I'm gone. And about not being paranoid over human beings' green cards. And about beautiful birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet it will look very nice when all the noise and dust clears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, wine coolers! We all have a love of something that makes others say, "I'm sorry, but what did you just say?" Mine is Tuna Noodle Casserole. I haven't had in a bazillion years, but I have fondness for it.

    It's not so much the food, it's the memories it conjures that surround the foods. Wine coolers are the same way, although I think I'd sit and gaze at a wine cooler, rather than imbibe it (they give me dreadful headaches, wine doesn't though).

    Anyway, may Spring life pick up after the project. It's always so disruptive, isn't it? You do get that added, "Oh, it's lovely, and thank goodness for the restored peace and quiet!" feeling...after you get the area cleaned up, but it's London After the Blitz prior to that.

    Tabor, I also wanted to let you know, my son is almost twenty-years-old and in college. I'd have fainted dead from horror if he'd dropped that piece of news at fourteen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cherish what you have now,
    Happy Thursday!
    I appreciate your inspirations!
    lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it is a mess now, but you will surely enjoy it when it is all done.

    I really like that guy whose boots house a birdnest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me of the time we spent months and months working on the addition to our house. The smells, the noise, the workers...but it was well worth it. I'm sitting in the new playroom right now (and it's my favorite room in the house).

    You have your wine cooler and enjoy; I'll stick with my vino tinto...and watch "Some Like It Hot" (that just arrived in the mail from Netflix)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your attitude! Carpe Diem! We, too, are in the midst of major renovations at the 'ol homestead. Hardwood floors in the "great room" and hall, and, as of yesterday, a new hot water heater. It seemed like the ultimate "spring cleaning" and now it seems like, oh well! After all, hot showers are mandatory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know there is dust and mayhem but it will be so worth it in the end. And I do hope your bird comes back to the nest. That is a bummer. Unforeseen consequences!! I hate when that happens.
    Good luck
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been there and done it - know what you are going through.
    It will be beautiful when done. Whatever you want to do and can afford. Do it and enjoy it.
    I need to do something to my long drive but will have to wait until city house sells. Then maybe the gravel drive just adds to the simplicity that I am creating.
    My stove was out for 3 weeks. Now call that there is a dangerous person in area and police are patrolling. A lot going on!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it always hard to decide to do things to the natural environment? I have mixed feeling about our fence, about the tree house, about expanding the kids house, geez. I like the trees and grass and flower beds the way they are. But when it is done, I bet you will both love it. Looking forward to the finished photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you cover things with plastic during the day? Yes, you do have to do something about that gasket clamp....or take the laundry out. LOL She says shaking her head. Pavers will look lovely. Have you checked his temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hadn't thought of that: the impossibility of shovelling snow from a gravel drive. Thanks, you may have saved me from a ghastly error.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ah - you have to love a soul that won't disturb a mama bird from her nest in a boot!

    beauty always requires mess... looking forward to the "after" photos

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh for a tax refund! Things in the UK have been so difficult that I guess it will be more tax soon.....or more cuts. All the best with the work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We will soon be adding a sun room and lifting the porch for more light. I don't do well under construction and worry that it won't look good.

    I hope peace returns for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hm, pavers, now there's an idea.
    Pavers instead of wood chip? Maybe not; but pavers round the house might be an idea. I am getting too old to keep on washing mud of floors.

    On the other hand, I could buy something even more self-indulgent, like a lot of plants, or a new bird house. Or maybe that wine cooler you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I watched an TV ad which does the hedge and sucks up the cuttings.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.