Friday, February 19, 2010

Enough Already!




I am in Florida trying to thaw my frigid bones as this post is being published.   It seemed that almost every weekend that we headed into the city to visit my daughter this past winter, we saw this mess in our driveway on our return.  I love the beauty of the snow but this winter we have had at least 5 (6?) snowstorms when usually we have only one little one.  I have become way too familiar with the snow shovel as we keep the deck clear and the sidewalks safe.  The driveway has to take care of itself because it is quite large.  I guess that I got spoiled by the past decade of milder winters.  I hate to say it, but we better not see this when we pull into our neighborhood upon our return and yet,  I am sure we will.  Photo above was taken after the second major snow storm.




Here is the same driveway after the fourth and record breaking snowstorm and just one day before we left.  What looks like a berm of snow is actually snow covered ice! The hedge in the mid-distance is a lovely cedar that fell across the driveway with a big snowy sigh.  There was another even larger cherry tree across the driveway closer to the house!  It was like our hiking trips to get back home.  (Post Script:  Just got off the phone from talking with our tree removal guy who cannot get into the driveway with his big truck because it is still too snowy and wet...he did say that the other BIG pine tree at the front of the driveway also added its opinion to this snowy winter...that makes 4 trees down so far!)





If we do have this much snow when I get back,  I am getting out my magnifying glass and putting a stop to all this nonsense.  Let's hope I don't start a forest fire!

18 comments:

  1. I am with you. We are heading to Fla this weekend and I can't wait. I outta here!! And when I return, the snow better be gone...gone...gone!!
    LOL!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your magnifier melter surely deserves a patent. You could make millions! I think that photo is hilarious. Even Charleston has been cold...I think you came through here on your way. So you know its been cold here too. At least I think you came through. Either that or Bagman was wolf-whistling at someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, even though we have only had 7" all together, it is more than we ordinarily see and a big pain in the butt to get rid of. I hope your roads will be clear when you get home, and I hope you are far south enough to get warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, I think I did see Bagman as he dashed around a corner checking out some chick in a wind-blown skirt. Those 20-somethings do not know how to dress for this weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more, enough already!
    We woke up to snow this morning too, and that is in the mild UK climate, where it normally rains and rains and rains.
    Furthermore, it is after I spent a couple of days in the garden, stroking and feeling and sniffing and gently freeing new shoots, buds and the green spikes of herbaceous plants and bulbs. Drat. I vote for a concerted effort with the magnifying glass too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think February is officially the time during the winter when we (in this hemisphere) have HAD IT with the cold weather, the general dreariness of winter. We get a fair amount of diversity in weather in Colorado, usually, but not so much this winter. It's been predictably rather cheerless, and consistently cold.

    I always tell myself that if I still lived back East, I'd go nuts because it's cold from November to March. Snow that falls in December, may not really melt until March there.

    But like you, I'm sick of the snow, sick of the cold. I have to head out and finish shoveling my own drive, so I really empathized with this post.

    I hope you get home to a wonderful warm snap, that melts the stuff out of sight, quickly :-)

    You're so not alone in feeling this way though. I doubt it is a coincidence that Groundhog's day is in February. For a long time, I guess, people have reached February, and been ready for it to be spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Looks very cold.... Brrr...
    It's summer here and it's very hot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, goodness. I just hope he can get a job here in town. I have no idea what to do in snow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe that is Florida. Here in Oregon I have been cutting narcissus blossoms for the kitchen table. What's wrong with this picture?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard a story this week about a person who had a fear of dying and read up on all the things that could be done to prolong life. One was to live in a population of under 175,000 and another was to live in the mountains or where he would see the mountains. He moved because he was trying to do everything he could to prolong his life. One day a friend in the new community approached him and said "You're afraid of dying aren't you?" and the fellow said "yes" so the friend said, "Well I am dying and I know that for a fact. What I can tell you is that we're all going to die and there isn't any time to talk about the weather." Look at all of us who have posted and talked and lived the weather the past few months. It makes me wonder what we have failed to say that might have been more worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have been lucky here in Atlanta this year. Just two mild sprinklings of the white stuff.

    I hope it is all melted when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's raining here again. I don't remember having so much rain in southern Arizona. Climate change is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think maybe you got all of our snow this winter. We're having an exceptionally light year though last year was a record-breaker. Hope it's not too bad once you return. Milder weather here the last few days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unbelievable that there was snow on the ground in 49 states simultaneously. Must be a record of some sort. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Magnifying glass? Try using the Hubble!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kids here went back to school for the first time in over 20 days. We got a little melt yesterday but the banks and deep piles will take more than that to penetrate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully expressed,
    the universal thought
    that this has gone on long enough!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm weary of snow too, Tabor, but these photos are gorgeous. Enjoy the warmth in Florida!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.