Tuesday, December 08, 2009

UGH!!

I am struggling with all the changes that happen when one goes with a new computer.  Some things went easily such as ONE of the printer installs and getting the online to work.  The other printer my old workhorse a HP deskjet 932C has a Windows 7 driver some where out there.  I am dwnloading about 32 windows updates, maybe I'll get lucky.  I did get lucky with the dual monitor setup.  Didn't want to give up my old monitor and now have TWO monitors...one for blogging and one for photos.


Others such as installing all my old 'licensed' software packages are not going so well.  Most have been stalled perhaps by this 64 bit Windows 7 system?  I have been told that many old software packages just will not work with 64 bit.


I have the choice of buying all new software or calling in a professional to fix all this.  Neither are going to be very cheap!

I will return, once I can get this stupid pre-installed cable from the back of my brand new monitor and install the HD cable I bought.  It appears that I need to get a pair of pliers.  Beware of PC workers carrying pliers or screwdrivers.

Other things I have noticed that are cramping my style is that new features do not easily let you change your home page to that old familiar one and this keyboard...they keep moving the delete key!!!  AND I HAD FORGOTTEN HOW NASTY these companies are forcing one to use Yahoo or AOL as the home page on install!


On ward and upward.


8 comments:

  1. I can tell you from much experience that all 64 bit programs work with 64 bit computers. 32 bit programs will not work, no matter the expert you hire, with 64 bit computers. I'm sorry.

    I just now went through all this.

    We discovered the new Adobe programs can only be installed once. That really pissed me off.....especially if one pays for the full fig.

    I'm now up and running and cursing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary!
    I need my computer and I know you need yours too.
    I wish you some unexpected succsss - immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had way too many problems like that, and I can't afford to clear them up by any means. Hope you find a good, cheap solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're kidding me! I have not heard of this. I think most of the folks who I know that are getting the new version of Windows are the younger set and have no previous software to load over. (I guess).

    This is insane. Another ploy to get our money. I'll poke around today to see if there is any documentation out there on this headache.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe me, I know what you're going thru and commisserate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I know just how you feel. These computers and their masters (nerds, in other words) set out to confuse and flummox you. Every five minutes they invent something new when the old gadget was still perfectly serviceable and make you buy it, because your faithful friend just isn't compatible now, unless you spend oodles of cash on getting one of their number to come and fix it for you. And then they have the cheek to look at you pityingly for being unable to do it yourself!

    And the nerds are usually no older than 12 and a half, it seems.

    Am I showing my age?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh.. computer woes. I feel for you. I hope you resolve it all soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally understand this "computer" struggle but it helps to take it easy Tabor. You'll get used to the new features sooner that you expect. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.