Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Odd Neighbors

Every neighborhood has someone strange living in it. That odd person that you pretend to be nice to, but you often wonder about them. They are just a little odd. Some idiosyncratic behavior of theirs makes you keep your distance. Perhaps they wander around in loud colored shorts or perhaps they peek at you through the drapes or perhaps they spend too much time washing that fancy car or perhaps they sit on the porch and pick their nose for what seems an endless amount of time. I am sure that sometimes my neighbor has second thoughts about asking me out to lunch as she did the other day. Her husband was out running a tractor, grading the roads to the farm they lease out, and she knew I had been alone for several weeks. So she offered a lunch date followed by a healthy walk around the island.

The reason I think she must have second thoughts about my stability is that she can now see me in my yard as the trees have become sparse of leaf cover. She can see Tabor walking up and down her driveway or standing out on her deck at all hours of the day with camera in hand. She sees me stop and then bend over peering into my camera with my butt out in the air like some freak flag flying and taking a picture of the driveway, or photographing the seat of my deck chair or even taking a picture of what at times looks like my feet!

I am sure she thinks I am a very strange bird. But I keep finding beautiful things as I walk around the yard that I need to photograph. I keep trying to stop time!




Do you blame me?

16 comments:

  1. I don't blame you at all! The leaves are beautiful and it is nice to make a record of them.

    We have our share of weirdness here; some who seldom leave their homes, others who you wish they wouldn't...
    LOL

    Weary Hag told me she misses you. I wish she'd blog again, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Weary Hag!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any red leaf is exciting to me. :) Can't blame you a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's definitely not a blogger, or else she'd understand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm inspired to get my camera and head out today. Now if only the sun will shine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't blame you at all either. I also snap photos at things that most people wouldn't think twice about photographing. I love your second photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who could think that of you, your pics are great. Maybe she's just watching over you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're doing important work there, Tabor. Attention must be paid to what happens in the natural world!

    When my neighbors see me pointing the camera at the flowers and insects they probably think my time should be spent making my lawn better. Which is why I don't pay much attention to my neighbors.

    And yes, the leaves do help us hide a little, don't they?

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last few days I keep looking for something beautiful to take an image of. I see bare trees, 2 feet of leaves everywhere - all brown at the moment. Hope I am not missing something. Even walked in the woods with my camera.
    Some weirds close to me also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are not the least bit strange Tabor. You are just taking the time to "smell the roses" and to photograph the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are not odd at all and I am sure your neighbor knows that. I love to photograph things too and nature is the most beautiful of all. Your single leaf looks like satin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha Ha I probably am considered a Crazy Woman by some of my neighbors. I hiss at the feral cats to keep them out of the back yard, they are welcome in the front. I roar at the raccoons in my yard to make them scared of me....and I am like you with the camera.

    Wait a minute....I am scared of me too.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally get it. Besides if you didn't spend so much time out there, how else would you know who the odd neighbours really are?

    I have one who walks and bikes around in summer wearing only a speedo.. and it ain't pretty. And another neat freak who vacuums his bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can vacuum your bushes?

    My neighbors once caught me photographing a dime on top of my porch railing. Yeah.

    I muttered something about entering a photo contest.... and I am not sure if they believed me or not. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are odd but we definitely love it. Otherwise, we couldn't see how beautiful fallen leaves are. One of the things that photography offers is our consciousness to little but splendid things around us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I meant to say I'm glad your hubby is back! I feel the same way about this. I don't like to have lunch with my neighbors because I like to them them guessing! Only one neighbor can see me and he already knows I'm slightly touched.

    I miss Weary Hag too.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.