Sunday, July 19, 2009

That Time of Year


It is that time of year when the river's bounty is providing us with seafood for enjoying during the cold winter months. My kitchen smells like either smoked fish or or steamed crabs...both of these are not necessarily good smells when you have them on and off during the day. But it is nice to see the freezer beginning to get full once again.

I was steaming yellow beans all last week and will be processing the pesto from our bolting basil this next week.


Tomatoes we are eating as fast as they come off the vine. The plum tomatoes this year are mealy tasting and disappointing. The tangerine tomatoes are prolific but not all that delicious. The sweet little grape tomatoes are as good as in the store, but even sweeter. There are a few other varieties ripening and not ready to pick.

My hair is damp from steam and hanging in my eyes and my apron looks like I lost a food war. Too busy these days to write anymore.

12 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have far more ambition than I do for prepping food for winter. That's inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our grandson Ian would say you're being "braggy".

    ReplyDelete
  3. So productive ...you must feel very satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent one summer freezing vegetables and fruit and canning pickles of all varieties. I decided giving up the short summer Colorado months was not worth it, but my family loved the food in the winter.

    I never did it again, but I admire those who are motivated to do so. Your produce and seafood look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so fortunate to have such bounty. We have been dinning on crawdads from the creek, tomatoes, beans, squash, strawberries, chard, onions, parsley, carrots, & bell peppers from the garden. So I think we have been blessed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whew, I'm tired now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. kenju doesn't eat anything but shrimp and lobster, so I couldn't even think of steaming and freezing anything seafood. I sure do love it, though! Your tomatoes look great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave and I adore crabs....please ship some down our way!!

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy. wish i had your energy and industry. your freezer is going to be a vessel for remarkable future feasts. seeing the crabs reminded me of crabbing on st simons island, GA and the fun of pulling them in. but the fun pales in comparison to the taste! lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you cut the basil down it should grow back for another batch of pesto! It's so hard to get the garden to produce in anything but an all or nothing way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tabor:
    I don't know how you grow basil that's so vigorous, green, and vital. Mine's limp and green-white, the leaves looking like they're yellowing and over the hill.
    I don't know what's wrong; maybe too much rain? I'd wanted to make pesto for the summer at least, much less storing up for winter like you are!
    Congratulations on having such an inspiring green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tomatoes look so good! Yummy!

    I just came back from Palawan, one of the islands in the Philippines known for affordable tasty seafood. I ate lots of steamed crabs and though I enjoyed it, a part of me also hated it because it's so messy to eat them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.