Thursday, July 02, 2009

Sharing the Munchies


I found these hungry caterpillars munching on the parsley in the garden the other day and asked hubby about them. He said he had decided to leave them alone because they make butterflies eventually. What about the parsley, I asked. He said that we had way too much of it anyway.

I thought about this for a minute and realized that we had so much parsley because I was never harvesting it and using it. I had been focusing on other stuff from the garden. I have not been a big parsley user in my cooking in the past, and therefore, since we had so much success this year with the lovely green lace, I decided to search the Internet for some parsley recipes.

I harvested a bunch of leaves (two different types) and proceeded to wash and dry them allowing spiders and caterpillar poo to float away.

An hour later and with the kitchen smelling strongly of garlic and with spilled olive oil across the counter and with green stuff everywhere, I finished two recipes of parsley dressing. One pungent with Parmesan and garlic and one sweet with gentle spices and balsamic vinegar and red wine. Guess we will be eating a bunch of salad this week. All this green has got to be healthy, right?

8 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe I've ever heard of Parsley salad dressing. So, how do they taste?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's new one on me too. I don't ever know what to do with excess parsley, how'd they turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any this year, but when I grew it, I loved to cut the leaves off and toss it into salads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make Tabbouleh (salad) with my parsley.
    1 cup fine bulgar (cracked wheat)
    1 pd tomatoes, peeled,seeded, & chopped
    2 cups chopped green onions
    3 cups chopped parsley
    1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 1/4 t salt
    1/2 t ground pepper

    Rinse the wheat, cover with boiling water, & let stand 30 min. Drain thoroughly, squeeze dry in a piece of cheesecloth. Set aside. Combine tomatoes,onions,parsley, & mint. Beat together olive oil,lemon juice, salt & pepper; gently fold into tomato mixture. Mix in wheat until well blended.
    Keeps & travels well, and a snap to make. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. What time do you want us for dinner? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:34 PM

    Swallowtail butterlfy. I always plant extra parsley for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great capture Tabor!

    One thing with having a vegetable garden is you always have the option to stay on healthy diet. :)

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.