Saturday, April 04, 2009

It Is Easy Being Green

It is oh so nice when one has company to have a fresh vegetable stand so close to the house! This Bok Choy or Pak Choi is at is peak with the weather staying in the high 60's F daytime and the low is in the high 40's F during the evening. The white stems are so juicy and have a very light cabbage taste while the leaves have another delicious but different taste. They are tender now and can be eaten without cooking. Later in the gardening season, the plants that are left will be used in stir fry.

We have two beds of this and may be tired of it after the next couple of weeks. But right now we pick a few outer stems from the larger plants and cut them up. Add some grape tomatoes from the store and then a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and you have a salad to die for.

(And of course, the garden looks so nice pre-weed eruption and pre-insect dining. But the blue bird is helping and I will post that on my other blog.)

13 comments:

  1. In the Philippines, we call this vegetable "pechay". We often add this to soups and stews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious pictures, here in Walla Walla it is unseasonably cool and not much has spouted but your photos are delicious reminders of things to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't grow anything anymore, even though every year I say that I will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agreed about the garden looking good pre-weed-erruption! Mine too!

    I must check out what nice things I could grow in our temperatures. Not warm enough outdoors I would guess for pak-choi though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tasted Bok Choy but you certainly make me want to. Interesting salads are great tips to share.

    By the way, thank you so much for your encouraging words on my blog post after Ron's accident. He is doing quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a healthy looking garden. I would love a serving of that salad right now; it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I can't believe anything looks good after the week of sickness I've been through, but that sure does! Gives me an idea for my garden this summer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have never tasted Bok Choy but it certainly sounds and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never get tired of greens!

    I had a dream about Obama last night. I'm not used to dreaming about presidents. I too appreciate his no drama style. It's direct, humbling, and unifying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am inspired
    Will add Bok Choy to our garden
    could probably start some inside this week and it will be ready by the time it is warm enough here to plant it outside --- looks so good!!!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.