Friday, April 17, 2009

Have You Seen Peter Pan?




This is a photo of our ship taken from the highest point
on Nassau during our one-day visit.

Four nights and five days cruising the Caribbean with Disney can leave one a little overwhelmed. Too tired and overstimulated to write anything of depth I will briefly describe for those who want to try this adventure someday.
  1. These ships don't 'cruise' on all days. On some days they go in circles just outside the shipping lanes very slowly to make you think you are moving somewhere. If you don't believe me, watch currents and sun angles on your next cruise. (And you can also test one of the navigators as we did and they will admit to you are just moving around.)

  2. Even though Disney "owns" the Disney Island, other than the free food, the cost of everything else from bicycles, snorkeling gear, cold drinks delivered to your chair, etc. is VERY MUCH like being on any other resort island.


  3. Every event on the cruise is all about being in the party mood and if I hadn't had small children along, I might have felt a bit too pressured to be happy!




    Yes, that is a new mother hovering over the table with the
    "Drink of the Day"

    and...no I did not have to wear one of these.

  4. Every cruise has a safety drill and it occurs before the drinking and partying. The deck where the lifeboats were stored ended up being my favorite place as it had a nostalgic old world feel complete with shuffleboard.





  5. The cheapest rooms on the cruise (which we had booked) are very nice, clean and more roomy than I anticipated.

  6. Disney is the master of service and the staff are almost Stepfordish in their pleasant demeanor, efficiency in service and pretending they are interested in every little thing you have to say about your trip...sort of reminds me of my dog years ago.

  7. The live theater shows are wonderful and free and I think as good as any Broadway play although only an hour long. Lots of great talent.

  8. The food is reasonably good, but I have very high standards, and when you are trying to feed 2,700 people it does get to taste a little like cafeteria food after a while, even if they are serving you lobster bisque or rum baba.

  9. Your wait staff follows you from restaurant to restaurant---assigned seating in the evenings---so they get to know your preferences and demands really well. Most of them are from countries other than the U.S. We had a girl from Belgium (although she was Vietnamese) and a man from Thailand. Our room staff was from Indonesia and the Philippines. Most of the staff at the cruise director level were from Australia although we met one fellow from France. It is a small world after all.

  10. The last morning of the cruise prior to disembarkation (this is how you talk when you have been on a cruise) they had scheduled us for a 6:45 A.M. breakfast. One could always go to the top deck buffet if they wanted and some of our party of 13 did that. Some of us were drug along whether we wanted to go or not. Below is my grand daughter who woke up at 4:00 and whom I brought to our bed. Getting her dressed at 6:30 was an Herculean task. I got the diaper off and changed but had to give up on the dress!

  11. The title of this post was due to Xman meeting Wendy on the first day and her sending him on the mission to find Peter Pan. A mission asked by a beautiful girl is taken very seriously by a small boy. He met lots of characters.


  12. Would I do it again? Perhaps. It was much more pleasant than I thought, but I think much of this is due to having small children with which to interact. And there was also plenty of areas on the boat or the beach to get away from all the little ones. Disney is also the master of programming activities for all ages including teenagers.

    (Unfortunately, while we enjoyed the entire trip, the time in the airport before we headed home is definitely blog-worthy of a future "life story blog" as it was a comedy of errors that had nightmarish proportions.)

  13. It is good to be home!

9 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I am amazed that you had time and inclination to post anything at this point. I will look forward to the airport story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have way more gumption than I do. I don't think I would do well with the cruse thing. Glad you had a good time. Can hardly wait for the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so glad this was nothing my grandchildren wanted to do!! You are my new Granny Hero:) Welcome home and God Bless! Can't wait to hear the ROTS (Rest Of The Story).

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had to travel with children a Disney Cruise would be the way to go, but otherwise I would prefer an adult cruise. I have only been on one cruise and loved it. It was a Mediterranean cruise and the shore trips were wonderful and well managed. The food was delicious the entire time.

    Getting to and from the cruise ship is the nightmare involved so I am looking forward to hearing about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home. You are brave. I have two small grandchildren but do not think I would do well on a cruise with them. But then this grandma is further down the hill then you. Looking forward to you sharing more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Disney cruise, I didn't know such a thing existed. I'm not sure I could be a part, I'd probably want to jump ship!

    But ....grandchildren and watching them enjoy something would make it worth it.

    Welcome back. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back Tabor! I've never been on a cruise so I enjoyed reading this one. Hope to hear more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad to see your post and to know you are back. sounds like you had fun! i love the pics of your granddaughter - too early, huh?

    eager to hear your airport story and that info about your hair. maybe you can post a pic of the hair (from the side or back if you want to protect your identity). welcome home, tabor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the pictures of the grandbaby and the comment about the Stepford-ized staff. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.