Sunday, March 29, 2009

Shhhhhh...


The world has become very quiet the last two days. I could barely hear the sound of muffled rain and bird song was distant and cold and careful. Sage green moss on the trees grabbed each birdsong and tucked it away before it escaped too far into the woods.

My yard has become a sponge full of water and weeps rivulets into the ravine that gently flow down past the tangle of vines on an ancient journey toward the river.

The daffodils are the only ones willing to open their sunny faces in the gray dawn. They are like little flashlights under the distant trees.

A deep smokey mist has carpeted the air and hidden the details of spring from us all. It hangs gently over the river making halos of the lights that glow on the distant docks. I breathe more carefully waiting for the dawn.

And then dawn breaks and the chatter of birds starts slowly and soon becomes a deafening orchestra. It is as if they can sing the fog away with their lilting calls and refrains. The geese add bawdy brass notes, as if, even they, are glad to see the duck weather dissipate.

I gather my energy as I know the day will reward with lime green plants and weeds racing up in their joy to finally see the sun again.

14 comments:

  1. Oh you have a way with words.
    I needed this. You have put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You DO have a way with words. This is very poetic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love compliments...they are like dark chocolate for my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent piece of prose. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the reasons why I keep reading your posts. Very wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully expressed. I love the fog. It has an eerie, muffling quiet to it which you described so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A word picture ....thank you.

    And so misty here where I live in the mornings lately too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very very fine indeed. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. colleen9:16 AM

    Wonderful! So well said. I am utterly transported.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW....nice....
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. "The daffodils are the only ones willing to open their sunny faces in the gray dawn. They are like little flashlights under the distant trees." tabor, i love the simile you use here. very nice writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Into your words
    my mind wandered
    the song of a loon

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAHXb9hspt4


    Enjoy,

    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.