Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Life Story #26---Dealing with Madmen


Art requires angst doesn't it?. How many artists are also crazy and need that craziness to feed their art? This table missing the glass top and carved from the base of a hollow tree was carved by a Micronesian wood carver named Baris and is a beautiful example of the island art of woodcarving. Baris was a crazy man. He was about 45 years of age and was large and muscular with a shaved head, unusual for Micronesians, and this gave him a striking appearance. He also spent a lot of time in and out of "prison" on Palau. He was known at the town rapist. This term was used by the locals as if saying he was the town undertaker or the town drunk. It was something he did and he sometimes ended up in jail for it. The jail was a joke in itself in that it was a concrete block building with a three foot high barbed wire fence around the outside. If he needed to run an errand while under arrest they would let him out into the small village for the day.

His sister lived in a tin-roofed grass house across the dirt street from our apartment building and so we would see him there on occasion and that is how we came to buy the table from him one afternoon.

Imagine being the young age of 28, married only a few years, and living oceans away from home and those I knew on an island in the Pacific Ocean. Our weekends were spent sailing on a lime green Hobie Cat or SCUBA diving or shell collecting on the fringing beaches or just lying around naked and watching the crabs look for shell houses on the sand of a remote beach. Exotic, no? And all true, at least for one side of the story.

The other side as I have written before involved lack of running water and/or electricity for days at a time in a crowded apartment in the jungle. Learning to cook strange seafood and regularly scavenging for any type of fruit or vegetable other than bananas and taro root at the market were other activities.

But when you are young such hurdles do not diminish your enthusiasm for living, and so we decided to bring another life into this exotic lifestyle we were leading. I flew to the United States to give birth, because along with its lack of sanitation, the island hospital's interior design included bolt cutters hanging high on the wall across from the entry which I was told were used for removing spears from the bodies of natives. I do not think they were joking if you will remember my life story #3.

After my beautiful daughter was born I returned via Guam to Palau when she was about 6 weeks old. I was nursing her and so didn't have to deal with all the sanitation issues and expense of formula feeding. By the time she was two months old she was sleeping through the night, so I was surprised to be awakened by her cries late one evening. I was alone in the apartment as my husband was off-island somewhere at the time. I hurried to her room and as I calmed her by feeding her I then heard our local dog which slept outside on the cement porch begin to bark in panic. Had he been barking all along and I didn't hear him because of her cries? This barking was also unusual, so holding my daughter close to my breast I peeked between the lanai blinds of the kitchen window.

All the expatriates in the apartment complex left their porch lights on to ward off 'whatever' or perhaps for an artificial sense of security. I looked into the harsh light and saw Baris stomping up and down the length of the porch past the four apartment doors. He was obviously drunk and acting very delirious. Fortunately our dog was not his focus of attention. The combined anger of Boris and the anxiety of the dog brought me instant panic. I held my daughter close to my breast and felt very very vulnerable. I went back to her room in the dark and closed the door.

I sat in the rocker in her room and nursed her in the dark feeling she must be getting a sour curdled repast as my heart continued to rise into my throat. I felt helpless in terms of a defense if Baris decided to break down my door. The chaos went on for what seemed like fifteen minutes and then I heard another man's voice talking with loud bursts in Palauan. There was a choppy exchange of words with the dog still providing a chorus of angry barks now joined by another local dog. Then instantly there was silence. I sat and rocked for ages in the deafening quiet imagining a dead body on my doorstep and did not put my daughter back down in her crib until I could see the dawn breaking through the curtains.

I made some tea and waited for the daylight. Just one more day in paradise.

(There was no body and no blood at my doorstep...just a little sleeping dog.)

16 comments:

  1. Mmmm...very interesting. Like it is with all your life stories :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your stories. Most of mine if I posted them would be about being single again at age 42 years when you never knew anyone but your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have a lot of interesting stories like that from your time in paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a million of them. Actually I was so young and naive I have forgotten or missed most!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a terrifying night. Mothers are so protective of their babies you were undoubtedly more frightened for her safety than for your own. I felt your fear as I read your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that was an adventurous time! I love stories that expand on photographs and this one expanded so far I almost forgot to go back and look at the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tabor that was fascinating!!!

    And One Woman's Journey, your story of being single again at 42 is no less terrifying.

    We all have our challenges but some clearly make better reading!

    Please keep them coming all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:17 AM

    Wow. You had me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen and yet all the while knowing you obviously came out of this alive! What a great story. Not only do you have a way with words, but you've got the stories to put the words to. Thanks for taking me away for a while and bringing me to an exotic place I had never been. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i can't imagine living in a place with a local rapist running loose in the streets - i would be crazy with worry, and the fear would far outweigh the exotic aspects of the country. you were much braver than i have ever been, young or older.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Town Rapist? Niiice (sarcastic tone). I'm surprised some angry father, brother or mother had not done away with this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the title scared me a bit. i'm sure you were more scared then. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting story. I am going to have to spend a night getting caught up of your life stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with Darlene... how horrifying for a young mom with her li'l one in her arms!
    They do say that strife makes for character.
    In my older age, I would trade off the freaking character at the toss of a hat!

    :)

    Love your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Re your lovely comment ... I guess I'm just one of the unfortunates who seem to hold onto secret li'l rules for every darned thing in life... then must heed them or else!

    Thank so much Tabor... for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:12 AM

    I felt the chill of it all and thought Baris should be a character in a book, safer for everyone there too.

    I was a late bloomer to life and lived pretty sheltered one at that age compared to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't imagine living that kind of life. Such rich memories you have. Scary.. but rich.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.