Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thus It Begins


I awoke at 6:00 from the demands of our Cardinal, Don Quixote, tapping at the window at the bedroom patio door reminding me I can never sleep in again.

I got up, made some coffee, and was blogging away when at 7:00 AM the phone rang and a man with a gravelly voice said, "Tell your husband we will be there to cut the trees tomorrow morning early unless it rains."

"OK." I said and hung up.

Five minutes later the phone rings again.

A young woman's voice, "Are you ready for the top soil today?"

"Uh, sure."

"OK, they are on their way now."

I call to hubby who can sleep through almost anything and he slowly but eagerly rises.

Thus begins the $500.00 broccoli project, followed closely by the $500 tomato adventure. We do love to garden. And thus on a fixed income we continue to support our local businessmen.

9 comments:

  1. I hope you don't wear yourself out planting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rude early-riser sure is a beauty though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better than a phone waking you. You get my green vote. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are living much of my past.
    Now will start over again but on a small scale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That you have a cardinal so often that you've named him astonishes me. We see one about once every two weeks. Could be us; I was at a neighbors house and saw two, possibly three. "Oh, yeah", she said, "we see them all the time."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill, my husband said his pecking at the various windows of the house reminds him of Quixote's war with windmills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:52 AM

    Wow that's a lot of broccoli. Last year I had to buy a plastic owl to keep the cardinal from smashing itself against our windows. It only worked when we hung it from a nail so that if would slightly move.

    ReplyDelete
  8. seems like someone's helping you get up early.

    i've always wanted to be a morning person but i just feel more productive at night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's alot of tomatoes and broccoli. I have lots of flower beds and a small garden. No where near time to plant in Nebraska.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.